Waf

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] c2workout

FAQ

Post by [old] c2workout » December 4th, 2005, 11:07 pm

C2Bill or Forum,<br /><br />On the C2 website I saw the Weight Factor Calculator but was unsure if this was to calculate the differences between two people of different weights to equalize their times on the erg. Or is it to help coaches estimate approxitmately which oarsman may be faster in a boat by looking at both erg scores and take into account their weight differences. <br /><br />My question is how does the formula below take into account the drag factor of the boat? I also saw the same formula on the UK website that used 77.27 Kg or 170 as a ref. point instead of the 270 lbs. Since both oarsman would use the same formula it should not make a difference which formula you use, as I would expect the same oarsman would prevail.<br /><br />I was reading the Physics of Rowing and they seem to have a different fomula that seemed not to be as harsh on the # of watt it would take to overcome the difference in weight between the two oarsmen. I know they used the .167 vs the .222 but I was not sure if that would make up the total difference between the two formulas.<br /><br />If anyone knows any details of how these formulas account for the drag factor of the boats and is this for just comparing 8+ boats?<br /><br />Has any one seen any of the boat manufactures list a drag factor for there line of boats?, or show a calculation / model that would help you to decide if a mid weight boat would work better for a given crew or go up to the next weight class boat. To see if the larger boat may work out better as although the boat is heavier it may not sink as deep and may have a lower drag then the ligher weight boat.<br /><br />Let me know if any of the coaches out there have a good formula that helps out to estimate which oarsman may make the boat faster other than just seat racing. Seat racing may be used as the final test but was looking for other mathimatical models, or formulas that may help out on land along with erg scores.<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions but just curious what the latest tools that are now.<br /><br />Stephen. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Formula<br />wf=[body weight in pounds/270] ^ .222 <br />In plain english: weight factor adjustment = (your body weight in pounds divided by 270) raised to the power of .222 <br />You multiply a raw time by the WAF and you divide a raw distance by the WAF. <br />

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » December 5th, 2005, 10:17 am

The formula using 170lbs was created to compare Erg Pace to Erg Pace. (m4- being rowed by 4 identical rowers with perfect technique on calm conditions.)<br />The formula using 270lbs was created to use Erg Pace to esitmate 8+ Paces. (Apparently this was made up based on wide experience and observation.)<br /><br />So it would appear that the reference weight is the variable manipulated to relate an Erg Pace to a boat Pace. (Of course we all know that "Ergs don't float", so being able to deliver the same power in the boat has a few dependencies. But we can easily say that if you can not produce the power on the Erg, it will not be available for you by getting in a boat.)<br /><br />The .167 and .222 factors are independent of the reference weight.