New To Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] maxima54

Women's Forum

Post by [old] maxima54 » April 24th, 2005, 1:47 pm

is rowing a good exercise for weight loss? how long to row? how many calories burned per 30 minutes on average? <br /><br />I have a new to me Model C. Thank you! all of you are an inspiration!

[old] edollar

Women's Forum

Post by [old] edollar » April 24th, 2005, 8:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-maxima54+Apr 24 2005, 12:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(maxima54 @ Apr 24 2005, 12:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->is rowing a good exercise for weight loss?  how long to row? how many calories burned per 30 minutes on average?  <br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Others have a longer history rowing than I do but I have lost 41 lbs using the Model D, exercise bike and lifting weights at the local Y in 3 months. I'm 62 and trying to get back in shape after two major surgeries last year. I use the rowing machine as much as I physically can but I started out very unfit and it has taken me 11 weeks to go from 10 minutes in a week to over 2 hours in this past week which included two 5k programs and one 2k program. At first groin muscles and lower back soreness was my limiting factor even though I really try to watch posture and not round my back too much. I just bought a Polar F11 exercise heart monitor which gives calories burned during exercise which is adjusted for weight, age and sex. I burned over 250 calories during each of my last two 30 minute workouts. I feel rowing is the best time I spend at the Y. The fitter I get the more I will use the rower and reduce the bike. As a reward when I reach half my weight loss goal I am going to buy a Model D for use at home. I think I'm addicted to rowing.<br /><br />

[old] Specialt

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Specialt » April 24th, 2005, 11:51 pm

Rowing is a great exercise all around. If you are trying to lose weight then you are also probably trying to gain cardio fitness as well. To this end I can testify that serious rowing will take you in the right direction. However I have not gained the degree of dietary discipline to make my weight loss dreams come true. you weight loss success will be based on how well you can stay disciplined. <br /><br />my last two 30 min workouts were 276 and 290 cals but whether those calorie counts will help YOU lose weight are yet to be determined. Funny thing is that when I was using a Model C in the Gym I would burn nearly 450 cals in 30 min. But since I bought my model D for home I have not gotten those numbers back. Keep that is mind, different machines may have worn or well used parts that may make a difference in the amout of resistance and therefore quality of your workout. That's just my opinion, you will have to contact the engineers to confirn that.<br /><br />C2 recommends long rows 5-6 days per week to lose weight. I would agree but it is really hard to spend that much time on the erg. I suppose it gets easier as the addiction gets stronger but time will tell. <br /><br />Good luck!

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » April 29th, 2005, 10:01 am

Rowing is a very good exercise to loose weight. I lost more than 25 kilo's with exercising on an indoor rower. I dropped 5 sizes with my clothes and everything need to be new exept my socks. It took me more than to years to reduce weight from 90 kilo's to 63 kilo's (174 cm height)<br />And this feels wonderfull <br /><br />One thing to keep in mind: Use a heart rate monitor with calibrated calorie settings adapted on your weight for the moment. The Concept2 (no matter what model) is calibrated for men with a certain weight and is too optimistic for most woman. (Means it says you have used more calories than you actually have)<br /><br />Also do not train too heavy. Longer trainingsessions (more than 45 minutes) are better for calorie burning than heavy training sessions. Also, try to train at least three times a week. Training can also be something else than indoor rowing, as long the activity increases your heart rate to approx 65-70 % of you maximum allowed heart rate. (This is depending on your age, is roughly 220 BPM minus age)<br /><br />Try to keep the rowing lively. I took up water rowing as wel. Now I'm doing so well that I can masters consider competition-rowing in our rowing club.<br /><br />Keep on going, lots and lots of luck, I know how difficult it can be, to go on that erg all the time especially in the beginning, when the stomach is still sitting in the way.<br /><br />Ank

[old] maxima54

Women's Forum

Post by [old] maxima54 » May 8th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Thank you all so very much for your excellent responses! You are all an inspiration to me! I love my rower and I'm getting used to the exercise...keeping the correct form is still difficult for me. <br /><br />Thanks again and be well! Maria

[old] Michellie

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Michellie » May 10th, 2005, 11:23 am

Good luck Maxima! I've just started rowing on the erg at my gym, and it totally kicks my butt! But I've lost a few pounds, and I have alot more to go. If you need a weight-loss buddy, let me know!<br /><br />Michelle

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 11th, 2005, 6:01 am

When you are new to the indoor rower you will experience a lot of pain at the butt. Your muscles are not adapted on the new movement from riding the seat. To get used this will take some time and then your butt is also more "in shape" because the muscles are stronger.<br /><br />In the meantime use a towel on the seat of the rower .And take care about the clothing you are wearing. No cotton, that becomes too wet. (I use the JL-racing rowing all-in one with an extra pad in the trou) After a period of training you can row forever without getting pain in the butt and you'll have the most attractive butt you've ever imagined. But it will take time to get used and then it's difficult not to give up!<br /><br />Good luck, don't give up, the rower is an excellent tool to loose weight!<br />Ank<br />

[old] Citroen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Citroen » May 11th, 2005, 11:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-maxima54+Apr 24 2005, 06:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(maxima54 @ Apr 24 2005, 06:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->is rowing a good exercise for weight loss?  how long to row? how many calories burned per 30 minutes on average?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Take a look at this article on the UK Concept 2 site<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/</a>

[old] Downeythunderchicken

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Downeythunderchicken » May 19th, 2005, 6:12 am

I'm new to this place I started rowing on my 55th birthday Jan.17,2005 on a fairly regular bases(3 days a week) and got my husband to verify my work out yesterday at one of the local ballys gym. I clocked 4009km.Because I started out at a very high poundage and misshaping, my form was not the best but I keep stroking on. I row because I've become addicted to rowing and for my health and to lose a significant amount of weight at least 245#s. I will check in from time to time and my reward will be to purchase a C2R for either my 35th wedding anniversary or for Christmas this year. In the mean time I will keep useing the one at the gym and the eliptical with yoga and some pilate .

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 19th, 2005, 6:25 am

Good idea to start rowing. <br /><br />You're never too old to change your appearance!<br />And yes, your own C-2 is a nice present for yourself, but having it at home has one disadvantage: there are too many pleasant things around to distract you from using it!<br /><br />I have one in my living room, but sometimes I consider home-rowing as too lonely. Then I go to the gym. Four indoor-rowers in a line and always somebody to chat with. But having it at home has as a good thing that you can always use it also at times that all facilities are closed. If you are very busy with work and everything, yoy can do your rowing early morning or at night.<br />(I'm a little night owl, sometimes I row at midnight, on my own machine)

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » May 19th, 2005, 7:51 am

Just like Ank said - it's never too late to start getting fit. I started on my adventure last year at age 54. So - we have a lot in common. Besides trying to improve my diet (notice I said trying!) I took up this rowing thing too. It has made all the difference for me. I realize that it's something I can do for the rest of my life. <br />Keep checking back here for help and encouragement. We're all in this together!<br />And - you might consider joining up with Ducks in a Row! We would love to have you with us. Some of the stories you see here are an inspiration to us all. <br />Happy Rowing! <br />The Buffle

[old] michaelb

Women's Forum

Post by [old] michaelb » May 19th, 2005, 8:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+Apr 24 2005, 10:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ Apr 24 2005, 10:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->my last two 30 min workouts were 276 and 290 cals but whether those calorie counts will help YOU lose weight are yet to be determined.  Funny thing is that when I was using a Model C in the Gym I would burn nearly 450 cals in 30 min.  But since I bought my model D for home I have not gotten those numbers back.  Keep that is mind, different machines may have worn or well used parts that may make a difference in the amout of resistance and therefore quality of your workout.  That's just my opinion, you will have to contact the engineers to confirn that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The amount of calories displayed on the PM should be same across all C2 machines, and worn or well used parts should make no or little difference. My understanding is the calorie display (and pace for that matter) is calculated by the watts you are producing by the flywheel, so it is a measure of the calories you are producing by spinning the flywheel. This has been explained before by C2 and others, maybe in the archived forum. I think in the math for calories they did include a "baseline" amount of calories, but I am not sure about that and we could check by seeing if the calorie display starts at 0. But I don't think the calorie display on the C2 is really an accurage measure of how many calories you are burning, because for example it does not account for any calories you spend going up and down the slide.<br /><br />The difference between machines is that they may have had different "drag" settings. This is in part determined by the damper level and the number you select. The computer continually calibrates the actual wind resistance (drag) on the flywheel, so old parts, dust, wear, etc, elevation, wind, are all taken into account continuously. The damper setting adjusts the amount of wind available, but the computer display is adjusting for any differences between machines. So the difference you saw between different C2 machines is that they had different drag (even if the damper was the same) and that led you to produce higher power on one then the other.

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » June 5th, 2005, 12:32 am

Rowing is great for overall fitness. For weight loss, I've had my best success when I rowed a full hour most days of the week, plus ate less (around 1750 calories; I'm 5'3"). Then I lost 7 pounds in a month, and the best part was, it helped me break through a "plateau" and even after I stopped rowing again (alas), I still managed to keep most of the weight off, probably from increased muscle mass & metabolism. Now I'm back at it, with lots of mileage in the last couple of weeks (aim is 45-60 minutes most days) but not eating as conscientously. I haven't lost pounds yet, but my belly is shrinking nevertheless. <br /><br />Rowing is a great for aerobic and overall strength. If you have the luxury of options, I would recommend adding 2 to 3 days a week of strength training (2-5# hand weights & lunges, etc), and walks, as brisk as you can work up to without injuring yourself. There is something about weight-bearing exercise that seems to stimulate weight loss better than rowing, swimming, or bicycling, even though they are all great for your health. I've lost 25 pounds slowly but permanently (over a few years) with another 25 to go. Good luck!<br /><br />Margaret

[old] kentuckyliz

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kentuckyliz » June 10th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Greetings, maxima and everyone.<br /><br />I had a scary conversation with my best friends in fall 2003...about middle age being right around the corner. At that point, I had been completely sedentary for about 5 years and was obese and had occasional quirky heartbeats.<br /><br />In that conversation, we reminisced about what an amazing physique I had when I rowed in college. I quit because of grad school and then living in places without rowing and not having enough resources for a long time to get my own erg. Plus the memories of erg training in college...erg till you puke...too intense.<br /><br />I have a surgical scar on my leg that has wrecked the circulation, it stays swollen, gradually had to give up a lot of activities because of pain. <br /><br />After that conversation, I thought, what can I do to be active again, get back in shape, but keep my leg level with my body so as not to cause the swelling to worsen? ROWING!<br /><br />So I immediately ordered my Model D and started right away. I rowed morning and night. It unleashed so many good endorphins and serotonin, I was literally high. My living room was my opium den. LOL<br /><br />Within a week, I knew I had to get back on the water. I researched and the clubs were at least 3 hours from my home. So I thought I'd have to buy my own boat then store it at a club boathouse and spend every weekend out of town. I researched boats and decided on the Maas Aero. <br /><br />I also started weight training about four days a week, out of the fear of dropping my new boat. LOL I went on South Beach Phase One for six months, which is a no no. I had to get down to boat weight. I erged a LOT and lived on Advil. I dropped a dress size every three weeks.<br /><br />So yes, it's a great way to lose weight. You don't have to go whole hog like I did, facing a deadline to meet the goals relating to getting a boat.<br /><br />I got my single May of last year, and figured out where and how to row locally. My boat lives on my car or on slings in the yard if I'm travelling, and in the winter I store it at Oak Ridge TN boathouse (I've recently become a nonresident member of that club).<br /><br />I hate to erg during water rowing season but don't mind it in the off season.<br /><br />I also became a referee and work a lot of regattas and it's great fun. What a great sport.<br /><br />I'm still working on the belly. May have that surgically removed this winter when I have an ear surgery which will require some time off anyway.<br /><br />It's been a wonderful adventure! I am inspired by the J Masters who are in their 80s and still rowing. I am looking for rec 1x races to compete even if it's an exercise in public humiliation. LOL Oak Ridge is getting some Aeros and I asked the coach to encourage other women who like it to enter races and give me some competition. I might race in two head races this fall.<br /><br />Have fun and develop at your own pace. It takes a while for the body to get strong in a rowing specific way. I don't live on Advil anymore.<br /><br />Liz

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » June 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

Dear Liz,<br /><br />What a wonderful story.<br /><br />I hope that you succeed in getting everything that's important for you and inspires you. I praise myself always so lucky. The Netherlands is full with water. many rowingclubs around. Never a problem finding one. I'm a member of Hemus, Amersfoort. I can go there by bike (10 minutes ride by bike) Every member has a key of the boathouse, I can row when I want, always. No problems with storing boats. No need to buy your own boat and drag it around on your car roof. I'm so happy with this. (Having a rainy, watery country as your homeland has some advantages.) And here we have another good thing too. It's totally common here to phone another rowing club to ask if you can rent a boat for a small amount of money. With this you can see other places and row the whole Netherlands. (Yes, also the cosy inner canals of Amsterdam!) I row at least three times a week, just after work.<br /><br />I have a friendly coach who does a lot to help me become a better rower. Here at Hemus, we row also in winter. As long the temperature is above zero degrees Celsius, we row. Yearround.<br /><br />One thing you have to solve is for me the same. My age is 44 and then you are consireded to be "old" No competitions anymore. And a little bit of competition is good to get better. Women of my age generally do not want competition anymore and competing with young ladies is not so encouraging at my age. (Although plenty of them will have a hard time with me) But I would love to have some competitions with women of my age, now and them. Just to experience my improvement in technique and power.<br /><br />Your belly? You can get rid of it! Just believe it, and go on rowing. I lost almost 30 kg with erging and rowing. I used to weigh more than 90 kg and now I weigh 63 kg, almost a lightweight rower.<br />The belly was the most difficult part! But rowing is perfect for getting it of! It took me more than two years to loose it, with five trainings a week. My clothing was always big and wide (bought at "special sizes" shops) I had to buy everything new (beside my socks) and the first time I was wearing such a tight fitting rowers unisuit I almost had to cry. That I could wear something like that without any feelings of embarrasment! I was fat for twenty years and was always thinking that "that was me"<br /><br />I always hope that people can believe in themselves. If you want, if you really want, you can get rid of that weight, get in better shape. And don't forget, many people are judging you on how you look, not on who you are. I'm still surprised about the difference in treatment of me since I have a well shaped body. That's the worst of all! And that's why woman consider plastic surgery! Bad enough!<br /><br />Good luck you everybody, keep on erging, keep on rowing!<br />Ank