Strapless Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Steelhead

FAQ

Post by [old] Steelhead » October 1st, 2005, 4:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 1 2005, 12:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 1 2005, 12:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NightRower+Oct 1 2005, 05:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NightRower @ Oct 1 2005, 05:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->OK, a few stupid questions.<br /><br />1. What is an Iggie bin? <br /><br />2. Is strapless rowing a good way to reduce SPM and increase DPS and strength? I find after a long row (like a half marathon) I can feel some more fatigue in the front of my legs. Would strapless rowing be a good training method? <br /><br />I am trying to increase my times and am curious for any and all advice. <br /><br />Darren <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />1. It is the honorary place in which John Rupp places people with which he does not like to have discussions with.<br /><br />2. Yes.<br /><br />3. It's easy to "increase your times", simply row a few more minutes. <br /><br /><br /><br />Steelhead,<br /><br />A Mod A 1 mile (as measured on the "PM" of the time, an analog Speedo/ODO) is equivalent in terms of power production to 500m on the PM2 and PM3. C2 was just kind enough to put the feedback unit of PACE into something simple enough for rowers to deal with. <br /><br />Cheers! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks -- it sounds like the theory of relativity. In other words, one shouldn't rely on the odometer on a Mod A to calculate meters -- I guess based on what is written this is why people had to use stop watches.<br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » October 1st, 2005, 7:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 1 2005, 01:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 1 2005, 01:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks -- it sounds like the theory of relativity. In other words, one shouldn't rely on the odometer on a Mod A to calculate meters -- I guess based on what is written this is why people had to use stop watches.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm not sure if C2 can still provide a complete retrofit for a PM2 or PM3 for the Model A, but they did still sell me the bits required for the Sensor and we made ErgMonitor capable of working with it, so there is an electronic solution for the Model A with more features than any other PM at this point. <br /><br />Also, don't rely on the PM3 to be an accurate predictor of actual boat speed, unless you happen to be a hwt male that is going to be rowing in a 4- with perfect technique, so basically it's just "Erg Speed", i.e. very loosely related to actual boat speed in a real racing shell. If you want to have some real fun, start up a discussion of Drag Factor. <br />

[old] NightRower

FAQ

Post by [old] NightRower » October 1st, 2005, 8:09 pm

<br />I am trying to increase my times and am curious for any and all advice. <br /><br /><br />3. It's easy to "increase your times", simply row a few more minutes. <br /><br /><br /><br />Ask a stupid question ...........<br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />

[old] razorfizh

FAQ

Post by [old] razorfizh » October 9th, 2005, 11:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Shepherd+May 14 2005, 06:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Shepherd @ May 14 2005, 06:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was rowing at about 32 SPM "naturally."  . <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Having been a slow SPM guy anyway, having this feeling of hauling oneself back up the slide to keep a high stroke rate has never been something I've been experiencing - however, at the top of my stroke I do feel the catch on the straps after the drive. Its short - just to stop. Then I control how fast to come up the slide. In a boat - I can see how this type of exercise can be beneficial - it helps the crew during a high spm piece not to kill the run on the boat. It helps the technique. For the erg though - run isn't something you are concerned about. Am I off base on this or are there other benefits? Appreciate the advice.

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » October 10th, 2005, 9:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-razorfizh+Oct 9 2005, 08:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(razorfizh @ Oct 9 2005, 08:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Shepherd+May 14 2005, 06:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Shepherd @ May 14 2005, 06:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was rowing at about 32 SPM "naturally."  . <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Having been a slow SPM guy anyway, having this feeling of hauling oneself back up the slide to keep a high stroke rate has never been something I've been experiencing - however, at the top of my stroke I do feel the catch on the straps after the drive. Its short - just to stop. Then I control how fast to come up the slide. In a boat - I can see how this type of exercise can be beneficial - it helps the crew during a high spm piece not to kill the run on the boat. It helps the technique. For the erg though - run isn't something you are concerned about. Am I off base on this or are there other benefits? Appreciate the advice. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A couple things:<br /><br />For you: If the straps are "stopping you" then you have lost that bit of force on the handle, the PM doesn't register "strap force". And being a slow SPM guy, you generally would want all of your work to go into spinning the flywheel.<br /><br />In a Boat: If it were possible to have the shoes stop you, that would be fine, but it's not, at least in a productive sort of way. The only thing we have to drive off of is the boat while at the same time we are using the oars to keep the boat up with us in a way that can be useful to drive off of. If you lose this balance of pressure then you are no longer accelerating (or even maintaining the speed) of the system, i.e. your drive is over (regardless of you specific body position, or even if you have taken the blades from the water). Strapless in a boat is much more difficult than on an Erg, so much so that I wouldn't even try to make them a comparison. The Erg has a bunch of force pulling back against you and there is none in a boat. The drill in a boat is to help the rower make sure they are getting a long drive impulse, clean extraction of the blade, and improve timing of the recovery. You can't "improve the run" of a boat unless something to make it run was done in the first place. <br /><br />Of course, I only see the Erg as a tool to improve what goes on in a boat, if you are just interested in making the PM read out fast numbers, that's easy, put in a lot of force and do it often. That sort of thing is what get's you tossed out of the 2-.

[old] ancho

FAQ

Post by [old] ancho » October 10th, 2005, 11:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 10 2005, 02:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 10 2005, 02:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->... that's easy, put in a lot of force and do it often.  That sort of thing is what get's you tossed out of the 2-.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Damn, how is that I never thought of this before. Thanks Paul, I think from today my erg PBs wil get much better!!

[old] hennmart

FAQ

Post by [old] hennmart » October 10th, 2005, 12:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Oct 10 2005, 05:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Oct 10 2005, 05:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 10 2005, 02:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 10 2005, 02:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->... that's easy, put in a lot of force and do it often.  That sort of thing is what get's you tossed out of the 2-.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Damn, how is that I never thought of this before. Thanks Paul, I think from today my erg PBs wil get much better!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It's time to work your pb's and now you know what the secret is I have to row even harder to keep in front of you <br /><br />Hennie