January Weight Loss Challenge To All Ducks

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 12:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 6 2006, 09:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 6 2006, 09:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->NEWSFLASH: Rubber Ducky lost 1.5 pounds this week!<br /><br />Our WW leader used to say: "If you don't think losing ONE POUND is much, go into a supermarket, walk over to the Meat section, and pick up a pound of hamburger. Hold it in your hands. .that's how much fat you lost."<br /><br />GO DUCKS!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yay Rubber Ducky!<br /><br />Good analogy with the picture of a "pound." I did the same thing with a five and ten-pound bag of potatoes when I lost that weight but didn't feel that much different. I tried picking up 4 ten-pound bags of taters the other day, and it wasn't easy! Then I tried to imagine carrying that all around in a backpack on my back. But, I'm still carrying at least that amount, so I've got some work to do. Gee, no wonder I was having problems doing some of those yoga poses when I started out!<br /><br />And Mimi, you are sooo right about the belly getting in the way of things! I'm an "apple" with all my weight in my midsection, and to try to touch my toes is...impossible...without throwing my back out from the forced curvature caused by my belly fat. So doing a yoga pose of a wide-legged forward bend is much more helpful for me. Check out yogajournal.com for some good yoga info on proper technique and use of support props. <br /><br />Same with the rowing--I can only go so far forward without getting bounced back! My stroke is: finish, recovery, BOING!!, drive, finish....<br /><br />Oh, and Mimi--for the knee pain, make sure you're getting some stretching done after you row and while your muscles are still warm (Where are ya Qwacky?? Jump in here for me!). Everything works together, so if you've got one area that's tight, it affects everything along the system. But for your knees, make sure your quadriceps and hip flexors are stretched a bit daily. <br /><br />There are good ways and bad ways to do this, so whatever technique you try, if it hurts, DON'T DO IT. Find another one. For mine, I get on the floor on my left side, bring my right foot back and grab the back of my tennis shoe and hang onto that without bending the knee too much. The goal is NOT to bring your heel to the back of your thigh. Then kinda roll your right hip forward by tucking your butt under, and you'll feel the stretch in the front of your thigh and in that crease at the top of your leg. Hold it for at least three full, deep breaths, then roll over and do the other side. As time goes on, try to increase the time you hold in the stretch. Anyone else have any good quad and hip flexor stretches they do? Or a better way to explain what I do??<br /><br />Ah, "sharing." That's a good way to think of it, Margaret, getting rid of tempting foods in the house--take them to work, give to neighbors.... Might make it easier for me....<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] QWACKY

Women's Forum

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 6th, 2006, 1:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 6 2006, 12:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 6 2006, 12:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 6 2006, 09:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 6 2006, 09:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->NEWSFLASH: Rubber Ducky lost 1.5 pounds this week!<br /><br />Our WW leader used to say: "If you don't think losing ONE POUND is much, go into a supermarket, walk over to the Meat section, and pick up a pound of hamburger. Hold it in your hands. .that's how much fat you lost."<br /><br />GO DUCKS!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yay Rubber Ducky!<br /><br />Good analogy with the picture of a "pound." I did the same thing with a five and ten-pound bag of potatoes when I lost that weight but didn't feel that much different. I tried picking up 4 ten-pound bags of taters the other day, and it wasn't easy! Then I tried to imagine carrying that all around in a backpack on my back. But, I'm still carrying at least that amount, so I've got some work to do. Gee, no wonder I was having problems doing some of those yoga poses when I started out!<br /><br />And Mimi, you are sooo right about the belly getting in the way of things! I'm an "apple" with all my weight in my midsection, and to try to touch my toes is...impossible...without throwing my back out from the forced curvature caused by my belly fat. So doing a yoga pose of a wide-legged forward bend is much more helpful for me. Check out yogajournal.com for some good yoga info on proper technique and use of support props. <br /><br />Same with the rowing--I can only go so far forward without getting bounced back! My stroke is: finish, recovery, BOING!!, drive, finish....<br /><br />Oh, and Mimi--for the knee pain, make sure you're getting some stretching done after you row and while your muscles are still warm (Where are ya Qwacky?? Jump in here for me!). Everything works together, so if you've got one area that's tight, it affects everything along the system. But for your knees, make sure your quadriceps and hip flexors are stretched a bit daily. <br /><br />There are good ways and bad ways to do this, so whatever technique you try, if it hurts, DON'T DO IT. Find another one. For mine, I get on the floor on my left side, bring my right foot back and grab the back of my tennis shoe and hang onto that without bending the knee too much. The goal is NOT to bring your heel to the back of your thigh. Then kinda roll your right hip forward by tucking your butt under, and you'll feel the stretch in the front of your thigh and in that crease at the top of your leg. Hold it for at least three full, deep breaths, then roll over and do the other side. As time goes on, try to increase the time you hold in the stretch. Anyone else have any good quad and hip flexor stretches they do? Or a better way to explain what I do??<br /><br />Ah, "sharing." That's a good way to think of it, Margaret, getting rid of tempting foods in the house--take them to work, give to neighbors.... Might make it easier for me....<br /><br />--Jen in WI <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Hi jen!!<br />Yes..stretch and keep those muscles warm & pliable.Think of a rubber band..the more you stretch it and work it the easier it is to pull.Like taffy..LOL...<br />And if anything hurts..don't do it..don't try to over ride the pain.Don't hyper extend any joint or lock the knees..keep them soft.Don't get meters logged and compromise your form.Not worth the risk at all.I am learning that day by day as this challenge progresses.Eat right ..and exercise and the weight we all want to lose or maintain will do its thing..LOL...<br />Love this forum..such great people ..<br /><br />Pat.M( QWACKY..)<br /> <br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Much better today--feeling more like my old self. Got over 12k in today, and (drum roll) 620 calories burned! <br /><br />Oh, but the traditional Wisconsin Friday Fish Fry is tonight.... <br /><br />--Jen in, where else, WI

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » January 6th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Despite missing exercise and not counting calories 2 days last week, I still lost a pound. I'm happy with that, and will be even happier when I keep it up the whole week.<br /><br />I like the advice to only weigh myself once a week. I've weighed myself more than once a day sometimes, and my ego gets way too tied up to the scales. So that's another promise to be kinder to myself, and focus more on the healthy habits than the scale.<br /><br />Actually, I lost 3 pounds last week, but I'm not counting it all because 2 of those pounds were gained overnight from menses--that just reaffirms my need not to obsess on the scale.<br /><br />And I rowed my 9k today, in the sunshine no less. If I can find time, I'll do some strength training exercises, but I'm happy with my 9k. That's 500 calories.<br /><br />Margaret

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 6th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Margaret - I don't know how old you were when the Scarsdale Diet first appeared (or at least when I first heard about it ) but it was my first diet and things just ricocheted downhill, slowly but surely, after that. And as far as weighing once a week, I used to weigh several times a day, too. One day, I became so upset with the scales, I opened the back door, went out onto the deck and (we live on top of a mountain) hurled those scales as hard as I could. My husband gathered up the pieces after coming up on them months later And Congrats on your 9K!! That'll take care of ANY weight problem And Jen, 12K (!!!), geez - How do you do it ? That's great. I just punched in my 5000 + for tonight. You girls are really pushing me. Maybe if I rowed 2 sessions - or maybe 3 - sneaky, huh Oh, and I LOVE your rowing technique, complete with BOING! - sooo funny <br /><br />Rubber Ducky, Congratulations on your 1.5 lb weight loss!!!! I can't wait to go to the grocery store just to see for myself how much that feels like. I'm sure it will encourage me. I've done awesome so far - ouch, I just strained my shoulder patting myself on the back. Just 2 more days for me and then I will know my weekly loss. Are we checking our loss on any particular day or just when our own schedule dictates? <br /><br />You Gals have a great night - I'm going to journal and then hit the sack. I love this forum - I actually feel like I'll make it this time - Lose the weight AND get in shape. YES!!!!!<br /><br />Mimi<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 7th, 2006, 2:50 am

Newer rowers, remember it takes awhile to build up to long distances like 12 Km and it depends on your background. If you haven't exercised much in the past, add meters to your distances a little bit at a time. The key is to row over a lifetime not to burn out or injure yourself.<br /><br />Also, compare how you are doing today versus a month ago. Is your technique better? Have you shaved a second off your time? Can you go 500 meters further now compared to a month ago.<br /><br />I say this to myself too. I see how other ducks are doing and I want to be able to row huge distances but I have to realize that I haven't been rowing all that long and it isn't a competition. We are all different.<br /><br />Afterall it is slow and STEADY that will win in the long run for exercise and weightloss. It is important to establish lifetime healthy habits that we WILL sustain that will make the difference in the long run. (I have to keep repeating that to myself because I just want a quick fix or a miracle diet. sigh.)<br /><br />Keep up the good work. <br /><br />Susan

[old] mimitap

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mimitap » January 7th, 2006, 8:51 am

Count me in! The virtual rowing team challenge got me back on the erg, highly motivated. This weight loss challenge should do the same with other elements of my life.<br /><br />The messages about slow and steady are so true! I have lost one or two pounds each week, ending up 80 pounds lighter! <br /><br />I made manageable changes to my eating. I gave up the bags of candy in my desk drawer. I started drinking more water. I bring a water bottle in the car.<br /><br />I starting working with a personal trainer. She creates a workout for me and teaches it to me. I do it for about 8 weeks and then email her the results. She creates a new program and we meet for an hour. This fits my budget and gives me an effective program that I couldn't come up with on my own.<br /><br />When I started erging I could do only 3 minutes. I built up gradually, adding a few minutes or a few metres when I could. Last night I rowed for one hour, covering 10,333 metres.<br /><br />So keep at it! Make positive changes that you can maintain. Celebrate the small wins. Everything adds up.<br /><br />Marie

[old] grace

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grace » January 7th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I would like to do this as well. I have been rowing most days for a year now but use it as an excuse to eat SOO much. I will do it by trying to not eat in between meals and enjoying the food that I do eat. Also reduce my carbs because I could eat them all day. My motivation is not weight (sorry I hate the scales) so will just do it by clothes size. First to stop bulging out of my size 12 jeans! Also anybody know of official marathons in May time because I am training for one without being entered to do one!! (I missed the London one). <br />Good luck for the month ahead everyone!

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » January 7th, 2006, 4:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 6 2006, 07:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 6 2006, 07:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Margaret - I don't know how old you were when the Scarsdale Diet first appeared (or at least when I first heard about it ) but it was my first diet and things just ricocheted downhill, slowly but surely, after that.  And as far as weighing once a week, I used to weigh several times a day, too.  One day, I became so upset with the scales, I opened the back door, went out onto the deck and (we live on top of a mountain) hurled those scales as hard as I could.  My husband gathered up the pieces after coming up on them months later     And Congrats on your 9K!! That'll take care of ANY weight problem <br /><br />  Are we checking our loss on any particular day or just when our own schedule dictates?  <br /><br />Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yeah, it was the Scarsdale Diet for me, too, back in 1979. That's why I'm so skeptical of the Atkins diet now. No carbs does help with quick short-term weight loss, but the majority of people then bounce back up higher than they started; I've seen several studies with this conclusion. This idea that carbohydrates are "bad," then all fats were out, has led to unecessary diet extremes that have led lots of us astray. Now my biggest goal is to eat a moderate diet: moderate balance of food types and moderate portions, to avoid the cravings and bouncing around I've experienced in the past. I wish I'd figured this out sooner, for example the times I lost weight effortlessly despite eating spaghetti, french bread and salad every night for a week (leftovers) or ate a slice a bacon each morning (not that I'm pushing that idea, but it must have offset cravings). Better late than never. <br /><br />I like your story about the scales. I gave ours away, but my husband got another one when he had to start watching his weight for the opposite reason--to make sure he didn't lose too much. I'm weighing myself Friday mornings as that's easiest for me (things get hectic in my family and I can't always slip away...)<br /><br />The daily exercise is great for me. Doesn't matter as much how long my row or walk is, as long as I do it every day consistently, half an hour would be good but more helps the weight off. From personal experience, exercise alone isn't enough to lose weight--I love food and am quite creative at filling in the calories when I'm at home and the *** DELETE - SPAM *** is at hand. Well-balanced meals help cut back cravings and temptation, and a cup of tea or coffee usually works well for "comfort food" (carrots to crunch when I'm upset).<br /><br />Thanks everybody for your stories. I suspected comraderie would help and it is. I've heard good things about Weight Watchers but don't have the time or money, and like the rowing too!<br /><br />Margaret

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 7th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Hi Duckies<br />Between the rowing and running and kickboxing this week..oh yeah, and the fact that i didnt eat everything in the fridge...I lost 3.8pounds this week. Feels great too. I usually do a long run once per week but for the next couple of weeks I am going to try a long row instead. So far i havent gone over 6000k..so tomorrow i ll try 7-8 km and see how it feels. <br /><br />I havent quite figured out where to log in and chart the weight loss though. <br />Any help??<br />

[old] mischa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mischa » January 7th, 2006, 8:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 7 2006, 02:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 7 2006, 02:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I havent quite figured out where to log in and chart the weight loss though. <br />Any help?? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Depending on what you mean by 'chart', I've used excel spreadsheets to track my weight loss and measurements changes and sometimes even rowing times if I'm working on something specific.<br /><br />I also know people who've use tickers from <a href='http://www.tickerfactory.com' target='_blank'>http://www.tickerfactory.com</a> to count down all kinds of things and they've got weight loss and exercise/fitness ones. It will even give you code for including it in BB posts.<br /><br />Mischa

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 12:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 7 2006, 05:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 7 2006, 05:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Duckies<br />Between the rowing and running and kickboxing this week..oh yeah, and the fact that i didnt eat everything in the fridge...I lost 3.8pounds this week. Feels great too. I usually do a long run once per week but for the next couple of weeks I am going to try a long row instead. So far i havent gone over 6000k..so tomorrow i ll try 7-8 km and see how it feels. <br /><br />I havent quite figured out where to log in and chart the weight loss though. <br />Any help?? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi ShelleyR!<br /><br />We don't have an official place to record pounds lost. If you have an online logbook, you could post it for your own record on the "comments" part. That's where I've been typing in my calories burned, so I guess I could add my weekly weight loss to that. <br /><br />Nice job on the rowing and the weight loss! You'll be able to tell if you feel like a longer row or not. Some days I have it, some I don't! Sometimes I don't feel like I even want to row 1000 meters, but once I get started, I can usually get at least a "regular" row in. However, I've had some days where I got to 2000 meters and decided I just am not doing this any more today. Sometimes I tell myself, "just another 500 meters," or I might have 375 calories burned and I'll say, "let's see if I can get to 400." I've done some of my longest rows just by adding little bits on...and adding them on...and adding them on.... <br /><br />What do you do for kickboxing, Shelley? Do you have a tape or DVD you use? I just got one by Cameron Shayne called "Budokon," which combines some yoga, meditation, and martial arts drills. Actually, I think the order is more like you do a yoga workout, some martial arts drills for an aerobic workout, then some meditation. I just got it, so I haven't viewed the whole thing yet. Looks kinda cool. I just hope I don't throw my back out or something.... <br /><br />And for any new rowers out there, Susan Holladay had some wise words in one of her posts a few entries back from this one. Work your way up to longer rows and more meters for endurance, then do some intervals and sprints to help with the speed factor. Always listen to what your body tells ya! C2 tells you to start out with about 5-10 mins and work up from there. Lots of different muscles are getting used with this C2 rower--you'll find a few you didn't know you had if you overdo it! BTDT!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 8th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Hey Woolsmith...the kickboxing I do is at a club with a very lean,mean teacher..haha...actually she is great, big on squats though. Ah well, I suppose it is good for me.<br />Yup I see now its the kms we are logging not the total weight loss. Thanks. Tech-not is my nickname at work as the virtual highway befuddles me...<br />Kickboxing is terrific for strength,cardio and also balance/ core strength...plus its just real fun to hit and kick the big bag.<br />Nothing more than a walk today though-rest day....back to the rower tomorrow...

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » January 9th, 2006, 4:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Canada Goose+Dec 20 2005, 12:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Canada Goose @ Dec 20 2005, 12:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,<br /><br />Well, I might as well join the rest of the flock and try out this weight loss challenge.  I have lost 20 pounds since January 1, 2005.    Now I need to lose another 21 pounds to make my goal.    My birthday is on May 20th and I would like to be able to do Robin's 2,000 metre ranking on the 20th challenge on my 39th birthday as a lightweight!<br /><br />Shannon aka Canada Goose <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi all,<br /><br />Since it has been about a week into the January weight loss challenge, I thought that I would post my results. I have quoted my original goal above for a reminder. I have lost six pounds since that post! I now have 15 pounds to go until I am a lightweight.<br /><br />I must say that making the big, scary step of posting my goal publicly has really helped give me the kick in the tailfeathers that I needed! I've really enjoyed reading everyone else's posts so far in this thread.<br /><br />Shannon

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 9th, 2006, 5:06 pm

I haven't officially joined the challenge, but I'd like to be a LWT again, too. Depending on the day and the mood of my scale, I have 7 - 9 lbs to go to reach that goal. I must say, the numbers on the scale have really been bouncing around the last couple of pounds +/- 1 to 2 lbs/day. I hope it's heading the right direction.<br /><br />I do find that the intensity level of my erg work-outs is much better than other comparable work-outs I might do - like the exercise bike.