Virtual Women's Team???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 15th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Yeah! 16 in the pond and #64!! <br />Welcome newbies! I hope you have as much fun with this as I'm having. Well, off I go to do my 10K.<br /><br />Bufflehead

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 15th, 2005, 11:04 pm

Did my 30 minute piece tonight. Glad to have done it so that i have a base to work off of, lets see: <br /><br />5494 meters, in 30 minutes. i'm ranked at 88 of 96 at 92%. 30 minutes was harder than i thought, but i guess its only the start of week 2 for me. Gotta keep working on it. <br /><br /><br />Question for everyone....what kind of workouts should I concentrate on for the next week or so? I had planned on doing a 20 minute piece of 1 minute hard/1 minute easier intervals, but maybe i should focus on working up on distance? <br /><br />Share your thoughts ducks!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 16th, 2005, 9:23 am

snappy - Your 10 x 1minute hard, 1 minute easy plan is a good one. But I would suggest you do a 10 minute warmup - start real slow and work up to where you would like your intervals to be at the end. Pulling hard with no warm up is not a great idea. Also finish with a 5 minute cool down (kind of like just doing 6 minutes easy at the end). That way you get some speed work in AND start working into longer workouts.

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 16th, 2005, 10:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 16 2005, 08:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 16 2005, 08:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->snappy - Your 10 x 1minute hard, 1 minute easy plan is a good one.  But I would suggest you do a 10 minute warmup - start real slow and work up to where you would like your intervals to be at the end.  Pulling hard with no warm up is not a great idea.  Also finish with a 5 minute cool down (kind of like just doing 6 minutes easy at the end).  That way you get some speed work in AND start working into longer workouts. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />LindaM,<br /><br />Thanks, I've been doing a five minute warmup and five minute cooldown on each end, will increase the warm up to 10 minutes. you mentioned 10x1 hard and easy, does that mean you think i should skip the 20 minute plan I had? Thank you for the suggestions, sounds like a good start. Any other ideas for the rest of the week? Also, what should I be aiming for during my intervals as far as spm and /500 rate? I'm not too great at figuring where I should be, and without a team to follow I'm afraid that I'm rowing too slowly or without enough power to get a useful workout.

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 16th, 2005, 10:48 am

Looks like we picked up some more members! We're now at 52nd place! Welcome to the new members and don't forget to go over and give an introduction! Tell us about your training plans too!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 16th, 2005, 12:33 pm

snappy - It will take you 20 minutes to do 10 x 1:00 hard separated by 1:00 easy, because 10 x 2:00 = 20:00. Wasn't that what you meant in your original post? Great that you are already doing warmups and cooldowns. <br /><br />You did your 30 minute piece @ 2:43.8/500, so I'd suggest that you try to hit 2:35/500 for the hard segments of your 20 minute workout. If that feels too easy, bring it down a little further, or conversely, if you can't do 10 @ 2:35, then try for 2:38. How does that sound? <br /><br />What spm did you use for the 30 minute workout? Don't pull any faster than that. Just pull harder (which means faster on the drive, but slower on the recovery). Think about pushing hard with your legs, and taking your time coming back up the slide before the next stroke. If you haven't been paying much attention to spm, I'd suggest you try to keep your pace below 30, in the range of 25 - 28. <br /><br />Good luck and let us know how you do.<br /><br />-Harly

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 16th, 2005, 1:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 16 2005, 10:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 16 2005, 10:33 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What spm did you use for the 30 minute workout?  Don't pull any faster than that.  Just pull harder (which means faster on the drive, but slower on the recovery).  Think about pushing hard with your legs, and taking your time coming back up the slide before the next stroke.  If you haven't been paying much attention to spm, I'd suggest you try to keep your pace below 30, in the range of 25 - 28.  <br /><br />Good luck and let us know how you do.<br /><br />-Harly <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Linda,<br /><br />I have been wondering about the spm, as mine is almost always between 31 and 34. I know this is too high. I did my first 6k today and kept the spm down to 30, but I think my pace suffered. I was really trying to concentrate on pushing harder with my legs and slower on recovery, but I don't think I have I good smooth stroke. <br /><br />I was reading a little about rowing strapless this morning. Will that help improve my technique?

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 16th, 2005, 1:12 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Linda,<br /><br />I have been wondering about the spm, as mine is almost always between 31 and 34. I know this is too high. I did my first 6k today and kept the spm down to 30, but I think my pace suffered. I was really trying to concentrate on pushing harder with my legs and slower on recovery, but I don't think I have I good smooth stroke. <br /><br />I was reading a little about rowing strapless this morning. Will that help improve my technique? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, give rowing strapless a try, and don't worry about your pace for awhile. It WILL suffer as you concentrate on getting your technique right. But in the long run, it's much better to establish good technique early, than to struggle with bad habits later on. Watch the C2 technique video and compare your own stroke in a mirror. If you are brand new to rowing, try to get your stroke looking and feeling right at 24-26 spm, before attempting to go any faster. <br /><br />-Linda/Harly

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 16th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Thanks Linda!<br /><br />We didn't get the video when our rower arrived, so I am not able to watch it yet, but as soon as I receive it, I definitely will watch it. I will definitely give the strapless rowing a try and really concentrate on technique rather than pace for awhile. Do you recommend longer or shorter rows when working on technique?<br /><br />Thanks again!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 16th, 2005, 3:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-KathiS+Feb 16 2005, 12:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(KathiS @ Feb 16 2005, 12:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Linda!<br /><br />We didn't get the video when our rower arrived, so I am not able to watch it yet, but as soon as I receive it, I definitely will watch it.  I will definitely give the strapless rowing a try and really concentrate on technique rather than pace for awhile.  Do you recommend longer or shorter rows when working on technique?<br /><br />Thanks again! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd say row as long as you can keep up the good form. When you get tired, either physically or mentally, your form will suffer. Stop before you lose interest or feel tired. But more meters with good form = stronger, positive habits. So try to go longer. <br />

[old] grams

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grams » February 16th, 2005, 3:46 pm

I have been erging for nearly 2 years now. I started out with a 24-25 spm rate rowing strapless, and now I am down to 19-21 without much loss in time. That's due to a better technique and stronger legs.<br /><br />The thing I have to work on all the time is not rushing the recovery. The recovery should take about twice as long as the stroke. Watch your meter while doing a 1/2 stroke and 1/2 recovery series, and then try a 1/3 stroke 2/3 recovery series at the same stroke rate and see if your split time isn't better.<br /><br />As your legs and your abs and your back get stronger you will see more and more improvement. Its great fun the first year to watch the numbers and pounds drop.<br /><br />Woow Londa! 12 million meters way to go.<br /><br />grams<br /><br />grams

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 18th, 2005, 11:10 am

Ok, I tallied my total meters from yesterday (for both workouts) and it came up to 8472! That's so cool to me! Ok, i'm going to go be in shock. Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 20th, 2005, 11:05 am

Yeah Ducks! <br />I love seeing new additions on the intro<span style='color:red'>DUCK</span>tion thread! Welcome to the pond Dodger and Ducky!<br /><br />How are all the workouts going? It's exciting to hear about the various experiences you all are having. I think I might have to try that lake game next winter. I'm more determined than ever to give on the water rowing a try this spring!<br /><br />Keep up the good work!<br />Bufflehead<br />