Fast Fall Races

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Roland Baltutis

e-row

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » October 23rd, 2005, 11:37 pm

Well done everybody on a good race.Specialy Pieter and Jaap.I struggled to try and stay with Jaap and never feel like chacing him and Jaap keeps on pulling ahead of me and Roland.It seems that the heat is getting to us in the Southern Hemisfere.Ronald went well till about 2k to go,then started to fade a little.My HR only went up to 169 but my legs were tired because of yestersday's 2x2000m.I almost never do 2000m as a training session.A tough weeks training ahead of me( I'm following the UK 16 week interactive program.)<br /><br />Jaap/Pieter are you going to BIRC? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Jaap, Pieter, Andreas<br /><br />Since we all enjoy the 3 X 2000m workout on the Saturdays so much, but want to peform well in the Fast Fall series 6K race on Sunday, why don't we swap the days around. Is there any reason why we can't do the 6K on Saturday and absolutely destroy ourselves on Sunday in a 3 X 2000m shoot out? For most of us the 2K intervals should be more important to our future race prep than the 6K. How about it?<br /><br />I hope the weather cools down by next weekend. The humidity here on Sunday was 91% with thunder storms building up after a warm sticky day. I don't have air contioning in my ergo room and conditions were unsuitable for erging but I didn't want to miss out on the race. As expected the heavy air put the brakes on me after about 2Ks so I did the remaining 4ks at LSD pace.<br /><br />We have a good fast group of ergers that would benefit more by swapping the days around. Tell me what you think?<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br />

[old] Pieter

e-row

Post by [old] Pieter » October 24th, 2005, 7:28 am

<br /><br />Jaap, Pieter, Andreas<br /><br />Since we all enjoy the 3 X 2000m workout on the Saturdays so much, but want to peform well in the Fast Fall series 6K race on Sunday, why don't we swap the days around. Is there any reason why we can't do the 6K on Saturday and absolutely destroy ourselves on Sunday in a 3 X 2000m shoot out? For most of us the 2K intervals should be more important to our future race prep than the 6K. How about it?<br /><br />I hope the weather cools down by next weekend. The humidity here on Sunday was 91% with thunder storms building up after a warm sticky day. I don't have air contioning in my ergo room and conditions were unsuitable for erging but I didn't want to miss out on the race. As expected the heavy air put the brakes on me after about 2Ks so I did the remaining 4ks at LSD pace.<br /><br />We have a good fast group of ergers that would benefit more by swapping the days around. Tell me what you think?<br /><br />Rockin Roland <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Roland,<br /><br />Allthough the fall series don't have my priorities at the moment (i want to my 2k time sharpened) I see no problem to swap the 2 around and do the 6k on saturday<br /><br />Pieter

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » October 24th, 2005, 4:04 pm

6 k on Sa. will suit me better.CU guys then!!!

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 25th, 2005, 1:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Oct 23 2005, 10:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Oct 23 2005, 10:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Since we all enjoy the 3 X 2000m workout on the Saturdays so much, but want to peform well in the Fast Fall series 6K race on Sunday, why don't we swap the days around. Is there any reason why we can't do the 6K on Saturday and absolutely destroy ourselves on Sunday in a 3 X 2000m shoot out? For most of us the 2K intervals should be more important to our future race prep than the 6K. How about it?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Good idea Roland, and since there are only positive reactions, I scheduled the 6k race next saturday (8:30 GMT). See you there.<br /><br />Andreas, I registered for the 20k training tomorrow, but instead of a U2 training it will be a sprint training for me. I will include the warming up and cooldown in the 20k (it has been 4 months ago that I rowed that many km in one training) <br /><br />Jaap

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 25th, 2005, 2:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Andreas+Oct 23 2005, 09:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Andreas @ Oct 23 2005, 09:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jaap/Pieter are you going to BIRC?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />No I'm not going to the BIRC this year , maybe next year. It would be nice to meet you and the others.<br /><br />Jaap

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » October 25th, 2005, 7:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Nigel+Oct 22 2005, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Nigel @ Oct 22 2005, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One that that might be worth checking out is if the admin checks in first.<br /><br />Normally on a Tuesday/Thursday some of the rowers are already checked in before me and recently it has failed to connect to anyone in the SR. I then create a QR ( so I am first to be checked in ) and it works fine everytime.<br /><br />Frank: I am taking part in a 100km team race next weekend so would you mind if I did the 6k race on Thursday night ? Please feel free to say no if you want to keep it to the weekend as I don't want to mess it around.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />Nigel <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nigel,<br /><br />Sorry that I took so long to respond to this but I kind of lost track of it as I was away on the weekend. The rules a pretty explicit about the races being from 12:00GMT on Friday to Midnight on Sunday. I just don't want to try to keep track of them over even more days. Remember that we will drop the lowest handicap and the lowest straight score.<br /><br />The point I was trying to make with the race problems is that it is not just a simple procedural problem. I have worked with a volunteer group and we could just not get many of the failures that other rowers described. For some reason the rowers having the problems do not seem to be interested in trying to fix them. Not much I can do to change that. I have only recently used a couple of QRs as most of my SRs work. <br /><br />Frank

[old] H_2O

e-row

Post by [old] H_2O » October 27th, 2005, 10:08 pm

Well, I am definitley out of online racing for a while.<br />I pulled a muscle in the left groin as well as the left butt (funny!) and my lower back left and right is very tender.<br /><br />I believe the reason is as follows:<br /><br />I did concentrate on power per stroke and worked up to SPI 11.5 - 12 at drag 95.<br />Then, to transition to the 2K, I moved the drag up to 102. I saw that I could get SPI 12.5 - 13. Thus motivated I kept pulling harder and harder (fast starts, sprints, ...).<br /><br />On one of the fast starts I had a stinging sensation in the left groin.<br />Since then my entire left side (front and back) has been in bad shape.<br />If I split under 1:40 I have definite problems while rowing.<br />Today I was able to stay at 1:50 with 22 spm with very minor problems.<br /><br />My philosophy is to keep going and hope that the increased blood circulation will take care of the problem. So far that has not happened. However I have done quite a bit of sub 1:40 pace. It looks like I will have to tone down the intensity and live at slow UT1 pace for a while.<br /><br />If this does not clear up I will have problems at the Austrian championships in January. The competition is all lightweight but one of them was World champion twice. He did 6:38 last year but as he was more than 12 seconds ahead of 2nd place I am sure he was "rowing well within himself" in the words of Roland.<br />

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 28th, 2005, 1:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Oct 27 2005, 09:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Oct 27 2005, 09:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I split under 1:40 I have definite problems while rowing.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Michael,<br />If you join the 6k tomorrow morning, you don't need splits under 1:40 to win the race . Sorry to hear about the injury problems you are having. In your situation, I would do the following: take a couple of days rest and do only very light U2 pace training at the end of this week. Then start U1 training next week and if this is going well try a 10 minutes at AT (1:40). <br />A few days ago I did also a sprint training but couldn't go at full speed because of a bad feeling in the left Achilles tendon. It's my favorite training, but also the most risky with regard to injuries.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Oct 27 2005, 09:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Oct 27 2005, 09:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If this does not clear up I will have problems at the Austrian championships in January. The competition is all lightweight but one of them was World champion twice. He did 6:38 last year but as he was more than 12 seconds ahead of 2nd place I am sure he was "rowing well within himself" in the words of Roland.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm sure that if your injuries are healed, you can row an easy 6:25 "well within yourself" and a 6:18 or faster if you go for it. <br />All the best with the recovery, and hopefully we see you in a few weeks in an online race.<br /><br />Jaap<br /><br />

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » October 29th, 2005, 12:57 am

Hi Jaap/Roland and Pieter<br /><br />Yesterday I got up with a blocked nose(very strange for this time of year). I thought maybe it will be better today, but its even worst today. I dont think its a good idee to race you guys today.Sorry about that but if I still want to do well at BIRC I think its better to take a short brake.<br />Good luck to all of you!!!

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 29th, 2005, 6:15 am

Hi,<br />The results for todays 6k are:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br />                            Time       <br />Jaap Roosma                20:21.2    <br />Pieter de Jong             20:54.6    <br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />Both of us a PB. My DF was 120, Split times were:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br /><br />Meters Split   SPM<br />500    1:41.0  29 <br />1000   1:41.4  28 <br />1500   1:41.2  28 <br />2000   1:41.4  28 <br />2500   1:40.9  28 <br />3000   1:41.7  28 <br />3500   1:41.9  28 <br />4000   1:42.4  28 <br />4500   1:43.1  28 <br />5000   1:43.6  28 <br />5500   1:43.7  28 <br />6000   1:39.1  30 <br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />No competition from the Southern Hemisphere : too hot in Australia, blocked nose in South-Africa. Come on guys, these are good excuses for not winning a race, but withdrawing? If you withdraw each time your not in top shape, I will never be able to beat you . <br />Hope to see you all tomorrow in Pieters 3x2000, and in next weeks handicap race (what is the distance?).<br /><br />Jaap<br />

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » October 29th, 2005, 7:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Oct 29 2005, 10:15 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Oct 29 2005, 10:15 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <br />Hope to see you all tomorrow in Pieters 3x2000, and in next weeks handicap race (what is the distance?).<br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jaap,<br /><br />We have the 1K handicap up next.<br /><br />Frank

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » November 2nd, 2005, 5:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We have the 1K handicap up next.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi,<br />The handicapped race has been scheduled for next saturday at 8:30 GMT. Andreas, Pieter, Roland and others who like to join, please let me know your target times. I have only Hennie's SB time. My SB is 3:04.7. Andreas and Roland, if this is too easy for you let me know, otherwise we three can start together on the delay based on 3:04.7. <br /><br />Jaap

[old] Roland Baltutis

e-row

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » November 2nd, 2005, 10:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Nov 2 2005, 04:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Nov 2 2005, 04:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We have the 1K handicap up next.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi,<br />The handicapped race has been scheduled for next saturday at 8:30 GMT. Andreas, Pieter, Roland and others who like to join, please let me know your target times. I have only Hennie's SB time. My SB is 3:04.7. Andreas and Roland, if this is too easy for you let me know, otherwise we three can start together on the delay based on 3:04.7. <br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jaap,<br /> I have never done a race pace 1000m on the erg before so I'm heading into unchartered waters here. I'm happy to start together on 3:04.7, because it's my first 1000m, hence would benefit from erging with another person.<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br />

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » November 3rd, 2005, 12:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Nov 2 2005, 09:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Nov 2 2005, 09:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Nov 2 2005, 04:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Nov 2 2005, 04:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Oct 29 2005, 06:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We have the 1K handicap up next.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi,<br />The handicapped race has been scheduled for next saturday at 8:30 GMT. Andreas, Pieter, Roland and others who like to join, please let me know your target times. I have only Hennie's SB time. My SB is 3:04.7. Andreas and Roland, if this is too easy for you let me know, otherwise we three can start together on the delay based on 3:04.7. <br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jaap,<br /> I have never done a race pace 1000m on the erg before so I'm heading into unchartered waters here. I'm happy to start together on 3:04.7, because it's my first 1000m, hence would benefit from erging with another person.<br /><br />Rockin Roland <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Jaap and Roland and all<br /><br />I havnt done a 1000m this season either.At first I thought I will use Dwayne's 2:40<br />as a target, but then I thought I will be completely cooled down by the time I start <br /><br /> <br />Jaap you SB will be a challenge to me, so I'm happy with that.<br />

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » November 3rd, 2005, 2:51 am

Bit of a shame that the Fast Fall race is to to early for me, I can not go "all out" that early in the morning.<br /><br />My seasons best is a 3:08.0 which was done as a warm-up to a session. I should be good for a sub 3:04.0, by best is 3:04.2 and that was done an age ago.<br /><br />I am in the 1:00 GMT (I think ) race on Saturday.<br /><br />Sir Pirate