Trans Canada Row

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » December 9th, 2005, 12:54 am

7k today for me. Welcome to the team Brad!!!<br />On what to do after crossing Canada, I think Francois's idea is great, although I also agree that it puts a lot of work on you Jim so the other ideas are good too (I was thinking that the northwest passage would be fun (although a bit chilly .) I'm only barely passable on computer literacy, but if there is any way that any of us can help you, please don't hesitate to mention it. I think I can speak for everyone when I say a big thanks for all you're doing. John

[old] MikefromCanmore

General

Post by [old] MikefromCanmore » December 9th, 2005, 1:31 am

I got 2k today.

[old] jetwbt

General

Post by [old] jetwbt » December 9th, 2005, 2:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ulu+Dec 9 2005, 05:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ulu @ Dec 9 2005, 05:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Just planning ahead a little:<br /><span style='color:blue'>What do you want to do with this boat when we roll into St. John's?</span><br /><br />Carry on across the Atlantic?<br />Paddle up North to visit John and Joe and me?<br />Sink it??<br /><br />Any other ideas??<br /><br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Francois has a good idea. I also like the idea of going North. Coast to coast to coast.<br /><br />Brian

[old] jetwbt

General

Post by [old] jetwbt » December 9th, 2005, 2:32 am

December 9th - 20K 1:11:40 - 1:47.5 splits.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Brian<br />

[old] Calgary Rob

General

Post by [old] Calgary Rob » December 9th, 2005, 9:51 am

Dec 9th - 6Km for me.<br /><br />Holiday Challenge: 109,000m rowed, 91,000 to go.

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » December 9th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Brian, just curious and only answer if you want to, but I seem to remember that you're teaching? I was a teacher here in the Yukon for a while teaching grade 7-9 all subjects (except French) in the small town of Teslin. Since then I've taught a few courses at the local college.

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » December 9th, 2005, 3:14 pm

My preference is also the "Round the World" row as Francois has suggested.<br /><br />I would not be able to do as detailed mapping of our progress through most of the journey, but certainly straight line, point to point would be no problem.<br /><br />Straight line across the Atlantic is just over 3000k to the west coast of Ireland or 3300 kilometers to the west coast of Spain. I then have the detailed maps of Western Europe and we could do a "road trip" or continue on point to point.<br /><br />It would then be point to point from Eastern Europe all the way back to the west coast of the United States. I have the detail maps of the US, so we could probably take the roads into Vermont.<br /><br />Lots of options on the way:<br />Go through Israel to visit Brian<br />Head south to Africa, Asia, Australia, Antartica, and South America on the way home, so we cover all the continents.<br /><br />Probably the best round the world trip for starters is "straight lining it" from St. John's to Los Angeles and then road tripping it across the US.<br /><br />A rough estimate of a straight line route through<br />St. John's<br />Ireland<br />London<br />Paris<br />Berlin<br />Moscow<br />Bejing<br />Tokyo<br />West Coast of US<br />Vermont<br /><br /><b><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>26, 156.86 kilometers!!</b></span></span><br /><br />It will add a few hundred more kliks if we road trip it across the US. Anyone up for this??<br /><br />Do you have any other points of interest you want to include along the way??<br /><br />Let me know, so I can groundlay the preliminaries.<br /><br />Jim

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » December 9th, 2005, 10:28 pm

12k for me dec 9.<br /><br />Welcome Lorri Mackay from Almonte and Michael Siska from Thunder Bay to the Eh!Team. Our numbers are growing, eh? We should be able to pull this boat around the world in no time.<br /><br />Could someone please send the details of posting to Michael and Lorri. Thanx,<br /><br />Jim

[old] FrancoisA

General

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 9th, 2005, 10:54 pm

Dec. 9: 16k (2k warm up, 12.5k of L4, 1.5k cool down)<br /><br />Jim, we could also include Australia and New Zealand, and then cross the South Pacific Ocean to end up at Cape Horn in South America. From there we could follow the west coast, go through Central America, Mexico and then Los Angeles. <br /><br />Visiting Brian in Israel would be nice <br />If we do that, we could go through Rome and Athens on our way to Israel. We could then skip Moscow and go directly to Beijing. Then Tokyo, Canberra, Wellington and Cape Horn.<br /><br />It is a lot of kilometers, but I am sure that our team will grow in size. I commit myself to do at least 80 k a week for the next year.<br /><br />Also, to make things more manageable, we could batch our kilometers and post only once or twice a week.<br /><br />If you need help, do not hesitate to ask.<br /><br />Thanks a lot for all you are doing.<br /><br />Francois

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » December 10th, 2005, 12:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ulu+Dec 9 2005, 02:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ulu @ Dec 9 2005, 02:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Do you have any other points of interest you want to include along the way??<br /><br />Let me know, so I can groundlay the preliminaries.<br /><br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I think the trip around the globe would be cool to do. While we're at it, we may as well try to hit all of the continents as well, IMO. <br /><br />In 1986 my dad was a co-pilot of one of seven single-engine planes that circumnavigated the globe. I believe that they touched down in every continent except the Antartic (which dad and I later visited in 1992) on their way to breaking the world record for the number of days to complete the journey. Our trip wouldn't likely be as quick, but not as dangerous either! <br /><br />Dec. 9 - 14K<br />1K w/u<br />2x6K @ 2:10ish<br />1K cooldown

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » December 10th, 2005, 12:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-FrancoisA+Dec 9 2005, 09:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrancoisA @ Dec 9 2005, 09:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Also, to make things more manageable, we could batch our kilometers and post only once or twice a week.<br /><br />Francois <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That's a good idea Francois.<br /><br />And Jim, many thanks from me as well for keeping everything up to date.<br /><br />Mark

[old] MikefromCanmore

General

Post by [old] MikefromCanmore » December 10th, 2005, 1:49 am

Another 2k for me. Zeb

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » December 10th, 2005, 2:23 am

Welcome Lorri and Michael <br />5k easy for me today. I'm trying a row pro 2k tomorrow. It should be fun, my sister in law Krista Coleman down in High Level Ab. will be in the race and 7 people are entered. <br /><br />Great ideas for the round the world row! Talk about a geography lesson! Have a great weekend everyone! John

[old] jetwbt

General

Post by [old] jetwbt » December 10th, 2005, 1:39 pm

December 10th, 22k 2 k warmup 20k - 1:10:53.3 - 1:46.3 splits<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Brian, just curious and only answer if you want to, but I seem to remember that you're teaching? I was a teacher here in the Yukon for a while teaching grade 7-9 all subjects (except French) in the small town of Teslin. Since then I've taught a few courses at the local college.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I did some supply teaching around Ottawa for a year. I taught Grade 4 and MS comouters in Kuwait. I was the Grade 5 teacher in Taichung Taiwan. I taught Grade 5 in Hannover Germany and was also the primary school coordinator and technology coordinator for a year. I was the computer teacher in Norway House, and here I've become the tech director after being a tech facilitator for three years. At this point I'm not actually teaching very much, but keeping our systems in order is a full time job. In January, I'm going to Bangkok for a recruiting fair to find the next job.<br /><br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br /><br />Brian

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » December 10th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Wow Brian, I think it would be fun to sit down with you, have a beer and talk about teaching the world over (could be a good book some day .) Good luck in the job fair! If we pull off the round the world row, we'd probably hit a lot of your old stomping grounds .<br /><br />I did a row pro race today and got a new pb in the 2000, 7:00.2! So close . I don't know if I'll be able to do it before we hit Montreal, like Mark suggested, but I'm hoping I can break the 7:00 barrier at some point. We'll see.<br /><br />A total of 15k today.