Strapless Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 12:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 12:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Geesh, Rick, I didn't know Paul was a skin head.  <br /><br />Thanks for pointing that out.  We already knew he had one of the thickest heads around.  Your comments certainly help explain why.<br /><br />Thank goodness I am 180 degrees from that kind of abnormal behavior.<br /><br />As I have pointed out before, I have never once posted on a thread that was started by PaulS, haven't said a word to him nor responded to any of his posts as he's been in the iggie bin.<br /><br />Regardless of that he has continued to follow me around, post negative comments on threads that I've started, and made negative personal attacks to me in response to messages I have posted about rowing and training. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Not quite a "skin head", but I do wear my hair fairly short.<br /><br />What you need to learn, John, is that repeating the wrong thing over and over, will do nothing to either enhance its value or increase its factuality, but please continue as you wish.<br /><br />Any response to you is purely offered as useful information for others to judge. Well, there are the occassional "fun" quips, to whip you into a frenzy, but that's somewhat informative as well. I've even come to your defense from time to time, but you must not have noticed that.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Neb,<br /><br />I don't cover the vents. I adjust the drag factor like anyone else does. C2 has stated that adjusting the drag factor does not make any difference to power output or times and is legal. However any adjustments to the drag factor need to be made before you begin rowing that piece.<br /><br />I have been coming to the forum for a long time. Perhaps you meant on this thread?<br /><br />Yes I just started posting on this thread, but have been posting on others.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 4:22 pm

Neb,<br /><br />I do all my own coaching and training -- don't know how you thought otherwise.<br /><br />No one coaches me with training but myself.<br /><br />However, I do get ideas from other places, for example talking with friends and with clients. I find that sharing with others helps me to gain a lot of insight, even or especially when others feel they are the only ones who benefit from our talks.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 4:29 pm

I made a suggestion to C2 a few months ago, that founders of threads be able to select who posts on those particular threads.<br /><br />An easy way to do this would be to block anyone from posting on a thread, who is in the thread founder's iggie bin.<br /><br />Doing this would help to get rid of most of the personal attacks on the forum.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 4:34 pm

C2 applied that to the dev squad postings, i.e. only dev squad members can post on threads that were started by a dev squad member.<br /><br />It will be nice when the rest of us will be able to block those who are on our block lists, from responding to threads we have started.

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 4:42 pm

JR, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.<br /><br />If that's the best you can do to find an attack from Paul, then you better keep looking. Personally, that was quite a humerous remark on you freeing yourself from the limits of the monitor. Your attack on Paul seems to be swatting a fly with a 500 pound bomb.

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 4:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 01:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 01:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neb,<br /><br />Here is an example of just one of the personal attacks made to me, on a thread that I started, by Paul Smith:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Aug 24 2005, 03:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Aug 24 2005, 03:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 24 2005, 02:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 24 2005, 02:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I like this method, of going totally by feeling, very much.[right] </td></tr></table>You have expressed several times in the past that you are not interested in making measurable improvements in your fitness on the Erg, so I'd agree that this is exactly the right course for you to take. Why not unplug the PM all together? Then you have "Removed all measurements", fly and be free...... <br /><br />All the best. </td></tr></table><br />If anything is slander then that certainly is.<br /><br />#1- Improvements are very important to me. This is one of the MANY reasons why I have averaged 2 hours of exercise every morning for the last 2 or 3 years.<br /><br />#2- I have made quite a few measureable improvements on the erg. Just 2 or 3 years ago my fastest 10000 meters was 42:08.9, which was the fastest I could go, after determined training, repetitions, and time trials. I kept at it, however, and kept bettering that time, now with a PB of 38:44.7.<br /><br />#3- My times are much closer to the records for my age than Paul's are in his group, and I might add that I am 143 pounds, not 165, which would make another significant difference. So who the bloody blazes does he think he is trying to give me advice about unplugging the monitor???? First he could get off his lazy butt and try to accomplish something on his own, without trying to run down everyone else who is doing things that he can't.<br /><br />#4- I love to run and I am a runner. I am not giving all my time to rowing as fast as possible, but rather to do so within the parameters of the lifestyle of my choosing. Which, again, is of MY choosing and not someone else's, certainly not some lazy sod's who can't get off his fat butt and never has an encouraging word to anyone, except rarely they follow his bogus misguidance.<br /><br />#5- I would rather that he doesn't agree with me. Different opinions certainly do help the world go 'round. Were he to contribute his own ideas openly, then that might be of some usefulness, though that hasn't happened in the past. What I disagree with are the personal attacks, which are the majority of his postings. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Certainly no personal attack in your words! <br /><br />#1 & #2 - You have dedicated 2 hours a day for 3 years to improve your 10k Pace by 10 seconds. I have to say, that is sure a lot of time to dedicate. Did you maintain a similar stroke rate or were they vastly different?<br /><br />#3 - The "unplugging the monitor" suggestion was to give you even greater freedom from "limitations", and purely leave to to feelings alone.<br /><br />#4 - Probably good thing that you love to run, you do a lot of it, especially in strange little circles.<br /><br />#5 - Well, agreeing with you would be fairly rare, but this is one of those rare cases. <br /><br />Have a Nice day.

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 4:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Aug 25 2005, 01:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Aug 25 2005, 01:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->JR, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.<br /><br />If that's the best you can do to find an attack from Paul, then you better keep looking.  Personally, that was quite a humerous remark on you freeing yourself from the limits of the monitor.  Your attack on Paul seems to be swatting a fly with a 500 pound bomb. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />More like a fly trying to stop a 500lb bomb. It doesn't even have to "go off" to get the job done. <br /><br />John, could I offer you a bigger shovel? Or perhaps a longer handle?

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Often it is said that the coach gains more than the pupil, but only when the focus is on the pupil, and the pupil's agenda, not the coach.

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 5:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 04:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 04:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ned,<br /><br />Now you can see the lazy sod has responded with another personal attack.<br /><br />My 10000 meters is above a 90% PATT percentage, whereas Paul Smith's is at the 73% mark for his age, weight, and gender.<br /><br />He has dedicated himself to rowing, is a rowing coach (so he says), and has an only 73% mark!<br /><br />That is totally embarrassing, and maybe why he takes it personally that I have so much  more success at rowing than he does, even though I'm not a rower but a runner.<br /><br />In any case, he is in my iggie bin and I have no use for him. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Based on your non-stop responses, he doesn't appear to be in the iggie bin. Like I said earlier, stop digging.<br /><br />I seem to recall that I was faster than my coaches in both high school and college, but it didn't make them less of a successful coach. One of them won the NCAA Water Polo title in 1979.<br /><br />Regarding the PATT analysis, get off it. Percentages only go so far, and your mental gymnastics don't seem to provide useful information as it relates to training for rowing on the erg. It's interesting info, but it doesn't help with my training. (I can tell I need to work on my endurance, without comparing my PATT % on the HM to the 2k).<br /><br />Go Team Iggie!!!

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 5:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 04:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 04:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->By the way, C2 took my advice and applied it to the dev squad postings, i.e. only dev squad members can post on threads started by a dev squad member.<br /><br />That is very good!  <br /><br />And I don't bother to read any of their postings.<br /><br />Let's expand that capacity now, to the rest of us, so we will be able to block those who are on our block lists, from responding to threads we have started. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />They took your advice? Hmm...<br /><br />OK, but what if everyone iggied you?

[old] R S T

FAQ

Post by [old] R S T » August 25th, 2005, 6:30 pm

<br />This is truly hilarious - thank you John for continuing to entertain us all.<br /><br />However, maybe while you entertain us you should consider the following:<br /><br />- PaulS has a coaching pedigree that any sane person would recognise. He chooses to impart knowledge on the forum and, like a good number of others, adds value to the forum. <br /><br />- John Rupp has a 'life coaching' pedigree that any sane person should be wary of. He chooses to rant on about PATT b o l l o c k s because the concept of simply comparing times/distances eludes him and accordingly, adds little to the forum. <br /><br />Cheers<br />RichardT<br /><br />P.S. John - You really should question why you are trawling through PB times of anyone else to ascertain a PATT score - doing it for yourself is crazy enough!<br /><br />P.P.S John - Are you aware that PaulS actually had the second fastest ever witnessed erg score for a 2k? I understand that he scored a 5:39 ish erg score in his prime - in which case your PATT scores are even more nonsense. (PaulS - I may be wrong here, but perhaps you can confirm the exact time - I do recall you posting a reply to a question I posed on this on the old forum, but I cannot find it).

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 6:35 pm

P.P.S John - Are you aware that PaulS actually had the second fastest ever witnessed erg score for a 2k? I understand that he scored a 5:39 ish erg score in his prime - in which case your PATT scores are even more nonsense. (PaulS - I may be wrong here, but perhaps you can confirm the exact time - I do recall you posting a reply to a question I posed on this on the old forum, but I cannot find it). <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Whoah. Now that would be the nuclear blast to swat our little friend. Please let it be so.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 6:47 pm

Speaking of slander, all I have to do is copy some of the posts from those I have iggied and then retire while they spend the rest of their days locked up in the loonie bin.<br /><br />Of course, that's why I have them in the iggie bin.

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 7:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-R S T+Aug 25 2005, 03:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(R S T @ Aug 25 2005, 03:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is truly hilarious      - thank you John for continuing to entertain us all.<br /><br />However, maybe while you entertain us you should consider the following:<br /><br />- PaulS has a coaching pedigree that any sane person would recognise. He chooses to  impart knowledge on the forum and, like a good number of others, adds value to the forum. <br /><br />- John Rupp has a 'life coaching' pedigree that any sane person should be wary of. He chooses to rant on about PATT b o l l o c k s because the concept of simply comparing times/distances eludes him and accordingly, adds little to the forum. <br /><br />Cheers<br />RichardT<br /><br />P.S. John - You really should question why you are trawling through PB times of anyone else to ascertain a PATT score - doing it for yourself is crazy enough!<br /><br />P.P.S John - Are you aware that PaulS actually had the second fastest ever witnessed erg score for a 2k? I understand that he scored a 5:39 ish erg score in his prime - in which case your PATT scores are even more nonsense.  (PaulS - I may be wrong here, but perhaps you can confirm the exact time - I do recall you posting a reply to a question I posed on this on the old forum, but I cannot find it). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes, John actually does know that, as I've mentioned previously, we had exchanged a number of rather cordial emails when I was just getting back into Training. He had some specific questions and I tried to answer them, along with some of my own personal history. (Notice how he comes up with strange personal information that seems to appear out of no-where?) Then something went very wrong I guess.<br /><br />My PR was a 5:36.8 for 4 miles on a Model A (when 5 miles was the standard distance, but we had convinced out coach that was "too damn far") <br /><br />It was done in front of my Coach (Al Lawrence) in a Gender Grudge Match with our strongest Womens Crew member(Sue McFadden), coxswains were responsible for the timing and the tests were "closed door" to everyone else, all results being posted at the same time. I was a cocky SOB and bet her a Cadbury Chocolate Bar (very valuable to starving college students) that I could finish 4 miles before she could finish 3 (The gals test distance). I lost the bet, but not by very much. I didn't even get to see the time for several days due to the "secrecy" policy, and was informed of it by the guy who finished 2nd (Jon Bronson - 6:02), with the words "I don't know how you did that!". Jon had been the only person that I had to beat, and our record went like this J, J, P, Tie, P. He had always goaded me a bit because I was heavier than him, so he considered the Tie a "win" in his favor, so I was determined to remove all doubt on the final test, which he agreed I had. One of the very satisfying days in my college rowing, and as it turned out, it was the last complete season before fracturing several vertebrae and putting to an end what was shaping up to be a promising bid for the US National Team (The day I received the invitation letter was the least satisfying day of that time, ironically enough it was the same day that I had told the coach that my recovery was not going to be happening and I had to quit the team.)<br /><br />Sorry about boring everyone with all these details, but the story makes more sense when put in context. Plus, I was "invincible" at the time, or so I thought.<br /><br />Anyway, I've been back for just over 4 years, and progress has been nice and steady. It's terrible (and wonderful at the same time) to be twice as old, as the body doesn't quite respond like it did back then, but I am not nearly as stupid as I was then (I've still done some dumb things, as I'm better at giving advice than I am at taking it sometimes.) and have been able to remain relatively injury free.<br /><br />Cheers All!