Thirty-minute Thursdays Challenge

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » November 11th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Ummmm - she said 332 M <b>more</b> than her last row, not 332 total! <br /><br />Good grief...

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » November 12th, 2005, 1:26 am

Yeah that could be a big difference!! Krysta, good job on your new PB! I'm going to have to try again next week. This week was not so impressive.<br />Robin

[old] Laupi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Laupi » November 12th, 2005, 6:44 am

<b> Oh, sorry - I have overread this - I was already wondering how one can only row 332 m in 30 minutes - seemed slow to me also. But now I understand - apologize for the misbestanding.<br /><br />How many meters total then are rowed on thursdays?</b>

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » November 12th, 2005, 1:43 pm

[<br />How many meters total then are rowed on thursdays?[/b] <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Hi Laupi,<br /><br />For my row I got 6,467 metres this week and for Krysta's new PB that she was talking about, she got 7,192. <br /><br />Shannon

[old] Godfried

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Godfried » November 13th, 2005, 4:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Sep 22 2005, 05:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Sep 22 2005, 05:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> . . . . I ranked 68 of 101 women my age and in the heavyweight category. Although, the results page is always a bit confusing. On the list, I look like I'm 66 of 99. . . . . [right] </td></tr></table><br />The top two women in this category have "unconfirmed" distances : their row did not pass the <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1907' target='_blank'>ranking requirements</a>.<br /><br />So you were #68 of the 101 in the rankings, and your distance was #66 of the 99 "verified".

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » November 13th, 2005, 2:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Godfried+Nov 13 2005, 01:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Godfried @ Nov 13 2005, 01:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Sep 22 2005, 05:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Sep 22 2005, 05:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> . . . . I ranked 68 of 101 women my age and in the heavyweight category. Although, the results page is always a bit confusing. On the list, I look like I'm 66 of 99. . . . . [right] </td></tr></table><br />The top two women in this category have "unconfirmed" distances : their row did not pass the <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1907' target='_blank'>ranking requirements</a>.<br /><br />So you were #68 of the 101 in the rankings, and your distance was #66 of the 99 "verified". <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the clarification. I had heard about the new requirements but didn't realize the implications. That makes sense.<br />Robin

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » November 24th, 2005, 3:15 pm

<span style='color:green'><b><span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Happy Thanksgiving!</span></span> </b></span> <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><i>and </i></span><span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='color:purple'><b><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Happy 30-minute-Thursday!</span> </b></span></span> <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><i>and </i></span><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:orange'><b><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Happy Personal Best to Me!! </span></b></span></span> <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><i>and </i></span><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'>Happy Start-of-the-2005-Holiday-Challenge!</span></span></span><br /> <br />Happy,<br />Robin<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 24th, 2005, 6:56 pm

WTG, Robin! Your regular progress inspires me to keep pluggin' away. <br /><br />I read your other post, too--isn't weird how some days you feel great and can kick butt on the rower, then other days it's just a struggle? I'm like you in that I don't have the speed thing up to par, but I feel like I can do better with the distance end of things. I'm working on boosting my watts and my pull power with some interval training in order to increase my arm and leg strength, which will in turn hopefully increase my speed.<br /><br />Do you do any cross training with other equipment or activities? I"m thinking I need to vary things a tad more with my NordicTrack skier and Schwinn AirDyne, just to work some muscle groups differently. I figure the variety has gotta help improve overall fitness as well as giving some muscle groups a break of sorts. And I'll be working more on variety AFTER the Holiday Challenge--I want one of those sweatshirts! <br /><br />Happy T-day to you, too!<br />--Jen

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » November 25th, 2005, 3:05 am

Jen,<br />Thanks for the encouragement! <br /><br />No, I don't do any cross-training, but I've been thinking I should do some walking when my shoulder muscles are sore. I have been concentrating on rowing longer distances for weight loss. I burn more calories in less time with the rower than with walking, so I continue to row. Plus, I want the Holiday Challenge shirt, too!<br /><br />I haven't done any intervals yet. I've been afraid I couldn't do maintain it for any amount of time. Maybe I can after a week or two into the Holiday Challenge. It would probably help my do better with my thirty-minute-Thursdays and my other personal challenges - 500 meters on the 5th and 2000 meters on the 20th. I'll give it at thought!<br /><br />Robin

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 25th, 2005, 11:21 am

Hey Robin! <br /><br />Yeah, I have a bursitis thing in my right shoulder, and that will haunt me occasionally. I really like my NordicTrack, so after the HC, I'm going to try to split more time between it and my rower. We've got a Schwinn AirDyne too, but I don't like it as well as the others--although it does a good workout for the quads. I agree with ya too, if I'm putting the time into it, I want to get the most bang for my calorie buck! My NT and rower seem to be the best for that. And walking still bothers my knees.<br /><br />My "intervals" are very beginnerish--every 5 minutes or so I started out doing 8-10 hard rows, then went back to my normal pace. Now I do 15 pulls every 5 or ten minutes or so. Eventually, my goal is to try to pull hard for one minute every 10 mins, then work towards 5 minutes easy, one minute hard. I could tell a difference in my 30 min times within about a week though--surprised me, because I was into my little 30 minute "comfort zone." I don't do every workout with intervals, because I usually try to watch a DVD movie, and I can't keep my concentration up. <br /><br />I only got a little over 6k yesterday. I think I was tired from my big row the day before. So after I get my snow shoveling and errands done, I'll hit 'er again this afternoon. I'd like to do 12k, but we'll see! (My Mantra--Iwannasweatshirt, Iwannasweatshirt....) <br /><br />--Jen

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 8th, 2005, 9:27 pm

I did 30 minutes today for the first time.<br />Anyone else?<br />Thanks for the inspiration Robin!<br /><br />Wood Duck.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 8th, 2005, 10:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-holladay+Dec 8 2005, 09:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holladay @ Dec 8 2005, 09:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I did 30 minutes today for the first time.<br />Anyone else?<br />Thanks for the inspiration Robin!<br /><br />Wood Duck. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br />WTG, Wood Duck! <br /><br />Tuesdays and Thursdays just aren't good rowing days for me, dang. I usually try to get 2,000 or 3,000m in the a.m. before I go to work. I just could not pull my tailfeathers outta bed this a.m., so it didn't happen. Been a long week. <br /><br />I'm off tomorrow, and I want to go out for the traditional Wisconsin Friday Night Fish Fry, so I have to burn enough calories to account for that at least. A really good restaurant in town here just started a Friday Seafood BUFFET . Oh, help. <br /><br />I'll try to do 12-14k tomorrow...and my 45 min yoga DVD....<br /><br />And hey there, Robin! How are your TMTs doing?? How are your HC meters going? I've got 75k left to go!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 9th, 2005, 12:06 am

I did it tonight... been awhile since I'd been able to play, so I joined in tonight, although it was one of those nights that I couldn't get into a good groove - ahh well - sometimes it's like that for me. But tomorrow's another day ... <br /><br />

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » December 9th, 2005, 2:40 am

How am I doing? How am I DOING?! I'm bummed out! THAT'S how I'm doing! I got sick with a cough on Thanksgiving Day and haven't been able to shake it. I haven't been able to row more than 4000 slow-poke meters at any one time without coughing. I just have about 40k so far. No shirt for me this year. <br /><br />Whah! Whah! Whah! <br /><br />I did do 30 minutes today, but it took dedication and commitment to just go 4500 meters!<br /> <br />Robin

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » December 9th, 2005, 2:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Dec 8 2005, 11:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Dec 8 2005, 11:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How am I doing? How am I DOING?! I'm bummed out! THAT'S how I'm doing! I got sick with a cough on Thanksgiving Day and haven't been able to shake it. I haven't been able to row more than 4000 slow-poke meters at any one time without coughing.  I just have about 40k so far. No shirt for me this year. <br /><br />Whah! Whah! Whah! <br /><br />I did do 30 minutes today, but it took dedication and commitment to just go 4500 meters!<br /> <br />Robin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Aww, Robin,<br /><br />That's too bad that you are feeling under the weather . The first year that I tried to do the Holiday Challenge, I got sick too. I was a bit miffed that my husband got a nice HC T-shirt that year and I didn't. Everything went a lot better the next season when I got a T-shirt, but he didn't get one that year. This season my husband has already earned his and my son and I are plugging right along. <br /><br />Maybe you should just take some time off and let the body heal up so that you are ready for the New Year. I'm sending some happy healthy vibes your way!<br /><br />Shannon