New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 17th, 2005, 10:55 am

Great going ASH, you push yourself to hard sometimes!!<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 17th, 2005, 10:59 am

first ever 10k took 46:53.2 @24spm (split 2:20.6). it felt quite comfortable, and i think i could have moved it along a bit from the start. i speeded up a bit for the last 3k. heart was 165 at the end.<br><br>any news chloé?<br><br>jane

[old] Hoofbeat

Training

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » January 17th, 2005, 1:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Jan 17 2005, 09:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (little weed @ Jan 17 2005, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> any news chloé?<br><br>jane <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Not yet. Been checkin my emails frantically all night. I'm going out with my old crew, cox and coach tonight so maybe I'll hear then (my coach was involved in the selection as he'll be coaching the Women's 1st next term). I'm not that hopeful as we were told that only 4 from my crew would make the firsts boat and altough I understand I was one of the 4 quickest ppl on the erg, he pretty much told me before Xmas that I wasn't good enough [I was probably the slowest on the erg out of my VIII) and I'm sure he'd already made up his mind - he said that ergs aren't everything.<br><br>Hopefully I'll hear soon...

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 17th, 2005, 2:26 pm

well, my youngest daughter was in the 3rd J14 crew at the beginning of the school year (1st quad, 2nd quad, then the octo.). she's worked really hard at ergo sessions and is now in the second quad. her coach says she's very strong and i'm sure that's down to the ergo. so don't despair!<br><br>jane<br><br>

[old] Hoofbeat

Training

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » January 17th, 2005, 8:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Jan 17 2005, 01:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (little weed @ Jan 17 2005, 01:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well, my youngest daughter was in the 3rd J14 crew at the beginning of the school year (1st quad, 2nd quad, then the octo.). she's worked really hard at ergo sessions and is now in the second quad. her coach says she's very strong and i'm sure that's down to the ergo. so don't despair!<br><br>jane <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Thanks. Found out this evening that I made the second boat. n Must admit I am slightly upset as my erg times were quicker than 2 of the girls who made the first boat and I'm almost a minute quicker on the erg over 2k than some of my new crew members. From overhearing my coach and cox talking earlier, I'm guessing they thought my rate was too low as I heard them talking about "24" and then saying we should be averaging 28. However, that's life and it's not going to stop me. Unfortunately, I know that with my new coach he's keen on doing weights and outings rather than that many ergs but one of my friends who isn't rowing this term has agreed to go and do 5/10K's with me once a week so that come next term we can both be damn quick and hopefully then they may pick me for the first's. Like I said, I am a bit disheartened, especially as I worked so hard over xmas and even if I hadn't bothered I'd have got in this boat. However, I'm determined now to erg more and faster and come easter I'll be very active on these forums asking for advice in the desperate hope that they change the crew next term. This disappointing news is simply going to make me ever more determined.<br><br>Thanks once again for everyone's help over the last week's. Although I haven't got the result I truely wanted, I'd much rather keep erging at a low stroke rate and get good splits and work on my stamina. <br><br>I'll be back....

[old] hwt

Training

Post by [old] hwt » January 17th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Chloe, I'm sorry to hear your disappointment but don't be too disheartened. Keep working hard and listen to what your coach has to say. The real goal is to improve technique and speed on the water, and while the erg might be a good tool to look at fitness, it does not always tell the story on the water. I'm impressed that you've been working hard.<br><br>One thing I have noticed (and don't take this the wrong way) is that you will often ask for advice and, once its offered, provide lots of excuses for not following the advice. Then you will rephrase the question, receive the same response as the first time, have more excuses, and then in the end you follow the advice! If you wish to proceed on crew selection more quickly, I hope that you will fight back the urge to make excuses when your coach asks you to make a change, and to just work hard to make the change.<br><br>You'll get there!

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 18th, 2005, 3:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Hoofbeat+Jan 17 2005, 07:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Hoofbeat @ Jan 17 2005, 07:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I worked so hard over xmas and even if I hadn't bothered I'd have got in this boat.  <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>...but you DID bother, and i'm sure that that will be noted. and there may be members of the 1st crew who didn't bother, because they knew their place was secure (but maybe not for ever). coaches need reliable crew members who will train hard, come what may, and can be counted on to be there, whatever the weather. there may well be people in the 1st crew who will not be as determined to hold on to their place, as you are to get into their seat! there WILL be opportunities when someone doesn't turn up for training, and someone will be needed to fill in for them.<br><br>perhaps it would be better to use the opportunities to aim for your own goals, rather than focusing exclusively on getting into the 1st crew. it should help alleviate any disappointments if you are getting something else out of your work.<br><br>someone suggested to me that i set some goals for 2005. why don't you do the same? there was a thread somewhere.....<br><br>jane

[old] Hoofbeat

Training

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » January 18th, 2005, 4:03 am

Thanks guys I'll take on board everything you've said. Hwt, I wasn't aware that I did that, but if I did I'm going to make sure that I don't keep making unnecessary excuses and still work damn hard this term - I know I can still improve and, as long as my degree doesn't start suffering, then I can keep training hards, doing extra ergs and runs whenever I can. Jane, regarding goals, I think they are an excellent idea - would it be foolish to set myself a target of under 8mins for a 2k erg within 12wks or so (at a higher rate of 28/30)?<br><br>Thanks once again...I'll stop hiijacking the thread now!<br><br>Good luck with everyone's PBs

[old] seat5

Training

Post by [old] seat5 » January 18th, 2005, 10:06 am

I did my first row (after the marathon Thursday) last night. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do or what I felt like I could do and didn't start till right around midnight. I finally chose to try an HM, figuring it would feel really short compared to a marathon, and to try to do it at 2:07.<br><br>The first 3/4 was easy, but near the end all the muscles (front & back) of my lower legs tried to pull, and my feet went numb. I slowed down a bit, and then for a while upped the rate (but kept the pace the same, pretty much). I was pretty excited to break 90 minutes, it was better by between 2 and 3 minutes and was worth 1017 Nonathlons! 89:45.7<br><br>Anything I row the rest of the week will be gentle.<br><br>Carla<br>F44 hwt

[old] cityeast

Training

Post by [old] cityeast » January 18th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Did my first HM today. 87:27 . With around 4500m to go I started to get a severe numbing/cramping in my left glute. Stopped for 60 secs (clock ticking on rowpro) whilst I tried to stretch it, couldn't give up with the finish line in sight!

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 18th, 2005, 3:31 pm

what great hms. well done. i'm working towards doing my first, but it won't be at midnight! a few more 10ks first, then some 60mins. maybe by easter!<br><br>jane<br><br>

[old] cityeast

Training

Post by [old] cityeast » January 18th, 2005, 4:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Jan 18 2005, 02:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (little weed @ Jan 18 2005, 02:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> what great hms. well done. i'm working towards doing my first, but it won't be at midnight! a few more 10ks first, then some 60mins. maybe by easter!<br><br>jane <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> thanx, I won't be posting here again until I break 85:00 <br><br>You have the right idea with preparing for your first HM. I put a few 10Ks and 60mins under my belt before giving the HM a try. Keep up the good work!

[old] donm79

Training

Post by [old] donm79 » January 19th, 2005, 3:07 pm

Highest-ever weekly total distance: 97,450m spread over 7 sessions.

[old] seat5

Training

Post by [old] seat5 » January 19th, 2005, 3:20 pm

Hi donm,<br>almost 14K/session. Did you do any hms or fms, or did you do a daily 10K with warm up and cool down, or what? just curious<br><br>

[old] donm79

Training

Post by [old] donm79 » January 19th, 2005, 4:43 pm

All UT1 and UT2 work. A couple of 2x6k at UT1 with 3 minutes rest, a 60 minute piece of 12 min at UT1 followed by 3 min of easy paddling. The rest were 60 min, 3x20 min and 2x30 min UT2 sessions. I don't really warm up and cool down for this low intensity stuff, so all the metres I recorded are at training pace.