Strapless Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Neb,<br /><br />All my results are listed in my profile below.<br /><br />I do think that for someone to give advice, they should have had some good results with their scores.<br /><br />Some kind of self improvement is in order.<br /><br />Also if I was looking for a coach, it would be someone who was encouraging and supportive.<br /><br />I choose my friends, and they choose me, the same way.

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 1:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 01:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 01:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neb,<br /><br />All my results are listed in my profile below.<br /><br />Notice they are all around a 90% PATT score.<br /><br />Whereas PaulS has a PATT score of 73%, based on his age, weight class, and gender.<br /><br />He has ruined a lot of potentially good rowers with his bad advice.  If you want to be another of them go ahead.<br /><br />I have no use for the wife beating child abuser and have put him in the iggie bin.<br /><br />Even so, he continues to follow me around the forum and spew his crap on threads that I've started.<br /><br />Check it out.  You are welcome to do so.<br /><br />If he could stand on his own merits he would, but he is not able to do that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What bad advice? I'm interested in specifics. Is it the 10MPS? Strapless? I'd like to know and evaluate it as you have.

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 1:24 pm

I forgot I'm on Team Iggie. Can someone else ask the questions? I'd really like to know what bad advice PaulS is giving.

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 1:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Aug 25 2005, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Aug 25 2005, 10:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I forgot I'm on Team Iggie.  Can someone else ask the questions?  I'd really like to know what bad advice PaulS is giving. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Bill,<br /><br />I've asked the same question of the forum several times. Apparently my advice has been so bad as to render the unfortunate souls unable to type. <br /><br />Anyway, John has become some kind of rabid attack pup, for reasons that I can only guess, but it probably involves some form of self-medication or the willful disregard for state funded prescribed meds.<br /><br />The "wife beating child abuser" claim is certainly strange, I'd guess falling in the category of libel or slander. Any lawyers out there that want to pro bono this guy into a jail cell, or pad their wallet on contingency? (I'll make a charitable donation from any proceeds.)<br /><br />On with the fun.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 1:56 pm

I would never try to "make" someone row one way or another.<br /><br />How people choose to row and train is an individual decision and distinction.<br /><br />The mark of a good coach is to see the good in people and assist them in bringing that out of themselves, in their own way.<br /><br />Not the coaches way.<br /><br />If a coach has a personal agenda for the rower, then they are not and never will be a good coach.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 2:02 pm

It would be a great idea if C2 would enable for founders of threads to block people who are in the thread founder's iggie bins.

[old] Bayko

FAQ

Post by [old] Bayko » August 25th, 2005, 2:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 05:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 05:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->He has ruined a lot of potentially good rowers with his bad advice.  If you want to be another of them go ahead.<br /><br />I have no use for the wife beating child abuser and have put him in the iggie bin.<br /><br />Even so, he continues to follow me around the forum and spew his crap on threads that I've started.<br /><br />Check it out.  You are welcome to do so.<br /><br />If he could stand on his own merits he would, but he is not able to do that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Geez. I suspect that as long as this forum exists some of the same things will continue to happen. Too bad.<br /><br />Paul Smith deserves our thanks for years of valuable advice, and a medal for having one of the thickest skins around. How he puts up with Bizarro Anti-Paul Smith (John Rupp) as well as he does amazes me.<br /><br />Occasionally John actually makes a good point. When he does it reminds of the old saying that even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unfortunately, it doesn't make the broken clock a useful source of information, and neither does John's occasional moments of lucidity make up for the mountain of garbage that he "contributes."<br /><br />Rick

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 2:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Aug 25 2005, 01:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Aug 25 2005, 01:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Aug 25 2005, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Aug 25 2005, 10:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I forgot I'm on Team Iggie.  Can someone else ask the questions?  I'd really like to know what bad advice PaulS is giving. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Bill,<br /><br />I've asked the same question of the forum several times. Apparently my advice has been so bad as to render the unfortunate souls unable to type. <br /><br />Anyway, John has become some kind of rabid attack pup, for reasons that I can only guess, but it probably involves some form of self-medication or the willful disregard for state funded prescribed meds.<br /><br />The "wife beating child abuser" claim is certainly strange, I'd guess falling in the category of libel or slander. Any lawyers out there that want to pro bono this guy into a jail cell, or pad their wallet on contingency? (I'll make a charitable donation from any proceeds.)<br /><br />On with the fun. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />So when did you stop beating your wife? Yeah, it's pretty rediculous. It's funny to see how fast new people can see through his rantings. He can't keep cool for very long without losing it. I didn't think people would voluntarily put a "kick me" sign on their backs or that it could happen in a virtual world, but he's done it somehow.<br /><br />I like how he covers up not only the monitor, but the fan covering as well. (Perhaps he covers up his computer monitor when he participates in the forum, but your medication theory seems to fit better). Eventually, he'll find a way to get to a zero drag factor and set a world record, of course, he already owns all of the records from his world.<br /><br />Enough about our little friend.<br /><br />I'm training at S10MPS for everything but short and medium intervals. I generally can hang with the 10MPS (except on 500m & 1k, where it drops to 9.2-9.5), but I have a hard time watching for the zeros. On average it works out, but there seems to be a variance in these little catch-up/slow down strokes to stay in tune with the zeros. I usually calculate the required pace and stick to that (I realize the margin of error with this method). In general, my splits come in over at, or just over 10MPS with the pace/rate combo I've selected.<br /><br />I also like the straps for the recovery on the short, fast distances. Strapless for the longer rows is the way to go. The timing and feel seems just right, but it took a few workouts to get it.<br /><br />Any other pieces of "bad" advice you can give me? Thoughts on your software vs. RowPro? You can e-mail me separately if appropriate.<br /><br />Regards,<br />

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 2:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 01:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 01:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When I mentioned "the wife beating child abuser" he probably figured I was talking about him, though no name was mentioned.<br /><br />What I wonder is why doesn't he just admit that he beats his wife and kids and get help???<br /><br />Or is that another thing he is proud of, besides trolling his garbage on the forum. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Actually, the way you phrased it left us no other option to consider, since you were solely referring to Paul and in the same sentence you noted that you put him in the "iggie bin". Come on, you're a "Toastmaster", you know the rules of speech. Learn the rules of grammar. (And etiquette, common sense, physics, humanity, etc).

[old] michaelb

FAQ

Post by [old] michaelb » August 25th, 2005, 2:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 25 2005, 12:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 25 2005, 12:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neb,<br /><br />All my results are listed in my profile below.<br /><br />Notice they are all around a 90% PATT score.<br /><br />Whereas PaulS has a PATT score of 73%, based on his age, weight class, and gender.<br /><br />He has ruined a lot of potentially good rowers with his bad advice.  If you want to be another of them go ahead.<br /><br />I have no use for the wife beating child abuser and have put him in the iggie bin.<br /><br />Even so, he continues to follow me around the forum and spew his crap on threads that I've started.<br /><br />Check it out.  You are welcome to do so.<br /><br />If he could stand on his own merits he would, but he is not able to do that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think this is completely out of line and has got to stop. I don't get the John Rupp thing generally, and find his training advice and comments bizarre and often obviously wrong. But I have never jumped on a thread and said that openly. I am not a rowing coach or an expert, or even all that good at rowing myself, so I try to limit my comments to what I do and the things I know.<br /><br />This forum has changed a lot over the past couple of years, and there a lot of new users and forum posters. I thought things had been quiet for the past few months and had settled down. Now this pops up. Time to bring back the duck.<br /><br />Quack!<br />

[old] PaulS

FAQ

Post by [old] PaulS » August 25th, 2005, 2:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Aug 25 2005, 11:14 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Aug 25 2005, 11:14 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I also like the straps for the recovery on the short, fast distances.  Strapless for the longer rows is the way to go.  The timing and feel seems just right, but it took a few workouts to get it.<br /><br />Any other pieces of "bad" advice you can give me?  Thoughts on your software vs. RowPro?  You can e-mail me separately if appropriate.<br /><br />Regards, <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Rick's making me blush. <br /><br />Using straps during any particular maximum effort time trial is certainly prudent. I've never seen a case where a person can produce more handle force by being strapped to the footplates, however the benefit of being able to move through the recovery a bit faster will certainly show up on the PM as a faster pace. Although PACE is the thing that we eventually want to reduce, we are really training to increase endurance and strength, and one thing is for sure, if we go from an S10PS 2k of 7:10 to a S10PS 2k of 7:00, we have increased our strength and endurance. The same gain could be made by other "improvements", perhaps by merely using straps, which of course wouldn't really have anything to do with a change in fitness.<br /><br />RowPro and ErgMonitor are two quite different approaches to giving something to improve the quality of Erg/Rowing Training. I like the concept of imagery that is provided by what I would consider a very good model of the stroke that is displayed in RowPro, it should lead to the athlete mimicing what they see and that is a good thing. Plus, they are tackling the problem of online interaction which is certainly a possible fun thing for people who motivate that way. ErgMonitor is entertaining for "data heads" like myself and delves a bit more into the possibility of raw analysis of force production. Force Profile is just a start, the manner in which that force is produced can be fine tuned. Then there is the issue of trying to get a team to match up, by analysing what they are doing and placing the ones that match together, or in the best order possible. Finally, the athlete could work on modifying their force profile, a slow but worthwhile process for performance in boats.<br />

[old] bmoore

FAQ

Post by [old] bmoore » August 25th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Time to bring back the duck.<br /><br />Quack! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />What's the duck?

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 3:44 pm

As an example of this, a coach was forcing his wife, who was 5'3 and 105 pounds, to row at 10 meters per stroke without straps.<br /><br />Now that is disgusting.<br /><br />Not to get into personal relationships here, and hopefully the rest of it is better than that, but a good coach would strive to bring out the best in people and not try to run over them with a personal agenda.<br /><br />Only the individuals have the right to make their own agendas, and the choices that they feel are the best for themselves.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 25th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Well all my posts are about rowing and training, as well as being supportive and encouraging with others, who feel the same way themselves.<br /><br />I have no time for negative people or comments and I happily put them in the iggie bin.

[old] Neb154

FAQ

Post by [old] Neb154 » August 25th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Throughout this whole thread, I have not seen PaulS make any negative comment towards you John without instigation. It appears to me, the subjective outsider, that your accusation, not by name but by inference of grammar, that PaulS is a wifebeater and child abuser, seems much more like a negative and appauling accusation which as far as I can see, has no factual basis what so ever. I can't believe you would throw around acucsations like that, and also the reference to being a "skin head", so loosely. Also, it appears that you are following PaulS around and posting deragatory comments. If you truly are the better man, then stop posting in reference to PaulS, or any other member, at all.<br /><br />PS : By covering the vents, your times lose any ability to be compared to anyone else. Therefore the numbers you are using for your PATT calculations, are totally erroneous.<br /><br />PPS : I also don't see how you can accuse PaulS of ruining your coaching techniques, when you did not post at all on this <b>thread</b>, until you responded to PaulS's comments.