Virtual Women's Team???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 9th, 2005, 12:27 pm

Hi Pam!<br /><br />If you happen to have a favorite duck, you can use that name. There's lots of ducks out there to choose from! But - in the end, we're all just ducks. <br /><br />Have a great day!<br />Bufflehead

[old] judyg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] judyg » February 9th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Fellow ducks,<br />Just wanted to thank you all for getting me through the 10k that I just rowed. It's the first 10k I've rowed in over a month, for a couple of reasons: 1) I got the flu two weeks ago (and am STILL coughing a little) and 2) it's xc ski season here and I coach at the local middle school so that cuts into my rowing time. Anyway, it was great to have a reason to do a full 10k again.<br />I am a 51-year old mother of three teenagers. I've been rowing since I learned as a freshman in college. I row on the water in the summer, and usually do a couple races in the Fall. My indoor rowing meters vary - I row more (10k+ per day) when there's a challenge going on, or the weather is bad. I row less when the snow is great for xc skiing. It's been a few years since I've done an indoor race, largely because my kids are nordic skiers and their races tend to consume our winter weekends. But if any of you are interested, you should give it a try!<br />Back to work now.<br />

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » February 9th, 2005, 1:43 pm

HEEY! I wanna be part of the team!, I don´t post many km per week, but I´d love to add a few!! <br /><br />I´m from Argentina, a "boat rower", i only use the erg for optional trainnig, but for me the trainnig you get above that machine, it´s much better than the trainnig in the boat! (but the boat it´s a litlle bit more fun!)<br /><br />The problem is, that i wanna register in the team, but I can´t find where <br />could someone tell me?<br /><br />Cheers! keep rowing.

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 9th, 2005, 1:45 pm

Way to go Judy!<br />I managed to get my 10K done last night also. I may have to try that water thing this year!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 9th, 2005, 1:52 pm

Hi Argentina!!!<br />We'd love to have your meters! If you are already logging your meters online, just go to your profile and edit it. Scroll down to the University/Club affiliation and type in Ducks in a Row. You will be added to our team! Thanks for joining us!<br /><br />I was once fortunate enough to spend a week at the Iguazu Falls. What a beautiful place! I was so busy looking at the Toucans that I didn't see what kind of ducks were around. <br /><br />Sue

[old] seagulldc

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seagulldc » February 9th, 2005, 2:08 pm

I did my first 10K ever last night. It was cool. I probably could have gone faster but it was my first time. I'm so excited that I managed to do it!!!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 9th, 2005, 2:20 pm

Great accomplishment seagulldc!! <br />We knew you could do it!! This is exciting stuff!! Doesn't it feel great to reach a goal? And - don't worry about the time. Now you have something else to shoot for. Maybe you'll knock off a few seconds next time!<br /><br />Well done!

[old] seagulldc

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seagulldc » February 9th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Sue. I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to seeing my times improve.

[old] Deb

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Deb » February 9th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Geez, I'm out for a week...flu/cough/something...and come back to find that Sue had the same idea I did a few weeks ago...starting a women's team. Great job getting it off the ground!! (My suggestion for a name was going to be 'Team Estrogen', although we'd have been borrowing it from the bicycling venue...)<br /><br />At the moment I'm rowing for the University of New Mexico, but might be tempted to change my affiliation when the new season starts (May 1).<br /><br />I'll keep an eye out for you as y'all climb the boards!!<br /><br />Deb

[old] arowma

Women's Forum

Post by [old] arowma » February 9th, 2005, 9:30 pm

Inspired by & for the Ducks (and special credit to seagulldc), I also just rowed my forst 10k <br />Marisa<br />P.S. Was tempted to do the entire Valentines 14, but decided to be kinder to my body

[old] seagulldc

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seagulldc » February 9th, 2005, 11:06 pm

Great job Marisa! I just did a 5K and I hope to do a 10K tomorrow. If not, I'll finish the 14K by Friday. This team thing does help. Great idea and Thanks for all the encouragement.

[old] pgpoon

Women's Forum

Post by [old] pgpoon » February 10th, 2005, 1:54 am

Dear DIAR: I am SO impressed with the mileage/meterage you are posting. I am a solo attorney in a small town in Montana with a 13 year old soccer player, a 19 year old college student (in Rhode Island) and a husband who travels internationally for work. It is a challenge for me to do 5,000 m in a day but I'm getting better at it. I look forward to my 1st 10,000 but hadn't even considered doing one until reading your posts.<br /><br />I have only been erging for two months, try to fit in dowhhill skiiing when we have snow, run/jog sometimes but haven't ever participated in any organized sports.<br /><br />I checked my birdbook and liked the Pintail.<br /><br />Keep it up.<br /><br />Pintail <br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 10th, 2005, 12:45 pm

You girls have been busy since I last checked this forum! <br /><br />Congrats to Marisa for her first 10K!! Good idea to spread things out a little in the beginning. We don't want anyone to overdo it! I think we will all make the Valentine's challenge with ease! <br /><br />Hi Pintail! Welcome aboard! You have picked a great duck - I've always liked the pintails. We're excited that you are thinking of a 10K. They aren't so scary after all! You might try just adding 1000m at a time to see how it goes. <br /><br />We now have 9 members and we're in 75th place! Woo hoo!<br />Deb, I hope you decide to join our ranks in May. I'm really grateful that you started those posts for women. I was sort of afraid to put my two cents in before that. Look where it has gone - and as I've said before - the sky's the limit!<br /><br />Keep watching for some new and exciting topic areas for the Ducks!<br /><br />Bufflehead

[old] CAROLE MAC

Women's Forum

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » February 10th, 2005, 1:20 pm

hobbles in (I am getting very fed up now) ......... sits down ..gets bread out here duckies here duckies......you need to keep your strength up ............

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 10th, 2005, 1:43 pm

I swear Carole - you are constantly quacking me up! <br />Should we assume that you still can't row for now? That must be quite a bummer. <br />Well, you are welcome in the Duck Pond any old time! Keep us posted on your progress. We're cheering you on for a speedy recovery!<br />Ta Ta for now,<br />Bufflehead