Anybody Do Weight Watcher's?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Steelhead

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Steelhead » March 6th, 2006, 1:55 am

<!--quoteo(post=58386:date=Mar 3 2006, 09:32 PM:name=billandmargaret)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(billandmargaret @ Mar 3 2006, 09:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Scanned this forum with interest. I lost weight successfully and painlessly (11 pounds over 3 months) following a macrobiotic diet. Those are the only pounds I've lost that don't keep coming back. Like the McDougal Plan, it emphasized whole grain rather than flour, and about 50% of each meal coming from starch, 30% from vegetables, and limited fruit consumption. Unlike McDougal, it was vegan except for fish. <br /><br />I preferred estimating relative portions to counting calories, and it left me free to eat to satisfaction rather than "by the book." Also, it encouraged restrained use of oil, not total elimination. I felt satisfied and mostly snacked on popcorn when hungry. <br /><br />I didn't stick with macrobiotics because my husband found it too limiting and I was unwilling to cook & eat separate foods. I've experimented with other diet modifications but haven't found anything that keeps the weight off as permanently. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the macrobiotic diet enough to keep everyone in the family happy, as I still hope to lose another 10 to 20 pounds. Calorie counting works but I gain the weight back the moment I slip up on that, plus some. <br /><br />I've experimented with varying my caloric intake to offset binges, but haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. I love bread but am striving to use that as something of a "condiment" to the meal, with a water-rich cooked grain alternative at most meals (oatmeal, cornmeal, rice, pasta...) which fills me up more quickly. I'm trying to find the right balance on the vegies: I like them, and they are satisfying in combination with whole grains, but trying to use them for 50% of my food or more seems expensive and probably nutrtitionally excessive from a historical viewpoint.<br /><br />Thanks for the informative forum.<br /><br />Margaret<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You are welcome, and thank you for your comments. They are helpful.<br /><br />Mike