Ultra Marathon Erging

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » February 16th, 2005, 5:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As for the renal failure issue, I never felt like I had problem that way. I think runners have a problem without it because of all the red blood cells that get destroyed from hours of foot-pounding and that bungs up the kidneys. Since rowing is non-impact there is no RBC destruction and much less muscle damage (which may also overload the blood with free myoglobin). I can't imagine even attempting a 24 hour run.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's great that you won't have that problem. <br /><br />I think my flirting with kidney shutdown was caused by myoglobin, although I never had an official diagnosis. Some racers were carted off in ambulances, but not me. As I said, it was a brutal cross country ski race and I was too stubborn and too stupid to drop out. After the race all I could produce was a couple of drops of brown urine. First pee was about a day later. Anyway, it sounds like you have this subject completely under control. <br /><br />Byron<br /><br /><br />

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » February 16th, 2005, 6:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-J.D.+Feb 16 2005, 12:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(J.D. @ Feb 16 2005, 12:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I completed the event two weeks ago with a final distance of 241,749m. As expected, the last 9-10 hrs was miserable but I survived. I managed to raise almost $900CDN for Habitat for Humanity from that event.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations, on both the row and the money raised!! : <br />That is a remarkable achievement. <br />(You couldn't just go for a little longer to finish off the quarter million )<br />How long before you could look, or sit, on the erg again?<br /><br />David<br />

[old] cynthia

Training

Post by [old] cynthia » February 16th, 2005, 10:08 pm

J.D. Congrats, that is fantastic. I once did 100,000m and cannot in my wildest dreams imagine doing 2.5 times that distance, or ever again doing the 100k for that matter.<br /><br />It must have taken incredible guts, determination and just plain stubborness (not to mention the training and preparation) to complete the 24 hours!