Smoking & Its Effects

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] NJhsRower

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] NJhsRower » January 10th, 2006, 7:36 pm

to those who disreguarded my first post thinking im just a stupid teenage hippie,<br /><br />Marijuana is a bronchial (sp?)… Which means it will open up your airways, also is why people believe it could be good for asthma <br /><br />Smoke still does irritate your throat on a short term... not denying that<br /><br />They make vaporizers that do not irritate at all<br /><br />Cooking it as well does not irritate<br /><br />Compared to alcohol which is toxic... id choose pot over it anytime<br /><br />And why not believe scientific studies that say otherwise to old myths? Why did people even believing Charles Darwin in the first place anyway?<br /><br />and if i have any spelling errors... its not from pot because it doesnt kill brain cells

[old] DIESEL

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 13th, 2006, 2:22 pm

dude, I'm not one of these don't do drugs kind of guys - but if you're on a crew and you're competing for a spot on one of the first two boats - smoking weed in mid winter training is really, really, really, really STUPID. <br /><br />I cannot emphasize this enough. Are your teammates smoking with you or are you blazing with non-rowers? <br /><br />If they are non-rowers - think about your commitment to your crew and just how badly you want to be a rower - if being good is of any consequence to you. I mean if you are going to be sabotaging your performance by blazing - then why are you rowing? There is no inherent reward in college crew other than trying to win as many races as possible. All this camaraderie crap is nice - but you slag through winter training because you want to wreck people on the water come spring. <br /><br />Decide what's more important to you - blazing or winning. <br /><br />If they are your teammates - keep going, I guess - you guys are adults and therefore deserve whatever you get. <br /><br />sorry to be harsh, bro, but it's the truth. <br /><br />D <br />

[old] NJhsRower

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] NJhsRower » January 13th, 2006, 5:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 13 2006, 01:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 13 2006, 01:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->dude, I'm not one of these don't do drugs kind of guys - but if you're on a crew and you're competing for a spot on one of the first two boats - smoking weed in mid winter training is really, really, really, really STUPID.  <br /><br />I cannot emphasize this enough.  Are your teammates smoking with you or are you blazing with non-rowers?  <br /><br />If they are non-rowers - think about your commitment to your crew and just how badly you want to be a rower - if being good is of any consequence to you.    I mean if you are going to be sabotaging your performance by blazing - then why are you rowing?  There is no inherent reward in college crew other than trying to win as many races as possible.  All this camaraderie crap is nice - but you slag through winter training because you want to wreck people on the water come spring.  <br /><br />Decide what's more important to you - blazing or winning. <br /><br />If they are your teammates - keep going, I guess - you guys are adults and therefore deserve whatever you get. <br /><br />sorry to be harsh, bro, but it's the truth. <br /><br />D <br /> </td></tr></table><br />no i know my priorities... i quit now that i'm training<br /><br />if i really wanted to get high though i could without affecting my performance by using a vaporizer or cooking it (getting high isn't that important to me)<br /><br />it just pisses me off to here ignorant adults talk ignorantly about something they don't really know anything about besides from what they use to hear back when they were kids in drug ed.<br /><br />and do you really consider highschool people adults?<br /><br />and thanks for caring (seriously)

[old] DIESEL

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 13th, 2006, 7:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->no i know my priorities... i quit now that i'm training </td></tr></table><br /><br />that's good to hear - don't stack the deck against yourself. Give yourself the best shot at making the first boat. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->if i really wanted to get high though i could without affecting my performance by using a vaporizer or cooking it (getting high isn't that important to me) </td></tr></table><br /><br />if you get high the night before and then do an early AM row - it's going to affect your performance. Cooking or vaporizing is a wack justification. Especially if getting high isn't that important, then why do it? <br /><br />In season, you shouldn't be messing with it. You have to assume that the dudes you are competing against are not blazing (assuming you're smoking with other people) and by you smoking, you are making their job a lot easier. (taking your seat on the first boat). I don't know, I guess the competitive streak in me would be my deterrent. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->it just pisses me off to here ignorant adults talk ignorantly about something they don't really know anything about besides from what they use to hear back when they were kids in drug ed. </td></tr></table><br /><br />well, duh. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->and do you really consider highschool people adults? </td></tr></table><br /><br />some of 'em. depends on the kid. but most aren't. <br /><br />peace, <br />D <br /><br /><br />