Fast Fall Races

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 7th, 2005, 1:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jaap,<br />        I'll start together with Andreas and you @ 58 seconds if you join Hennie, Peiter, Jamie & me the day before in the 3 X 2000m workout. Can't have you starting the 5K too fresh without a solid workout the day before.  Gotta have a level playing field. Besides I need someone to push me to a triple sub 6:30 for the 3 X 2Ks.<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Roland,<br />You don't need to be scared that I will beat you in a straight race. I couldn't do a sub 6:30 2k twice if I wanted to and certainly not 3. If you can, you should also be able to row a 5k SB easily. I will be satisfied with a sub 17. I will miss Michael who is at about the same pace as I am.<br /><br />Your 2005 5k SB is even faster than Andreas, so I guess the race between you two can become very exciting, certainly now that Andreas already said he doesn't think he can do a PB now. It will be a lot less exciting if you start 8 seconds before Andreas and me.<br /><br />I can't join you with the 3x2k tomorrow and if I could I would row a comforable 1:42 pace, yes, to be fresh at the start of the 5k. Hopefully you will also save some energy for sunday.<br /><br />Jaap

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » October 7th, 2005, 2:29 pm

It is not my place to tell any of you how to row your races, and I think it is great that the some of the very fastest rowers in the world are going to race online in the fall series.<br /><br />But I wanted to point out that this weekend's handicap is really the preliminary "warmup" round, and that you really only get points for showing up. Next week we will have the "main event": a straight up 5k race for points based on the nonathlon. The theory was that any of you who wanted to set SB/PBs would do it in the straight race, so that those results could be uploaded to the rankings and verified and ranked. <br /><br />But go ahead, knock yourselves out "just for fun" this week. We will just expect you to be faster next week.

[old] DavidA

e-row

Post by [old] DavidA » October 7th, 2005, 2:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Oct 7 2005, 10:31 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Oct 7 2005, 10:31 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I injured my back pretty badly and am out of the picture for the race on Sunday.<br />It is only today that I could make it to the computer for the first time.<br /><br />Immediately after the injury I forced myself on the rower, warmed up for 20 mins, rowed a marathon PB (2:38:34) and felt perfectly fine. Unfortunately I was unable to get out of bed the next day.<br /><br />I am now slowly trying to get back. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm sorry to hear about your back I hope that you feel better soon, but what prompted you to get on the erg, and do no a fast marathon no less with your back hurting? <br /><br />David

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » October 7th, 2005, 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Oct 7 2005, 05:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Oct 7 2005, 05:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jaap,<br />        I'll start together with Andreas and you @ 58 seconds if you join Hennie, Peiter, Jamie & me the day before in the 3 X 2000m workout. Can't have you starting the 5K too fresh without a solid workout the day before.  Gotta have a level playing field. Besides I need someone to push me to a triple sub 6:30 for the 3 X 2Ks.<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Roland,<br />You don't need to be scared that I will beat you in a straight race. I couldn't do a sub 6:30 2k twice if I wanted to and certainly not 3. If you can, you should also be able to row a 5k SB easily. I will be satisfied with a sub 17. I will miss Michael who is at about the same pace as I am.<br /><br />Your 2005 5k SB is even faster than Andreas, so I guess the race between you two can become very exciting, certainly now that Andreas already said he doesn't think he can do a PB now. It will be a lot less exciting if you start 8 seconds before Andreas and me.<br /><br />I can't join you with the 3x2k tomorrow and if I could I would row a comforable 1:42 pace, yes, to be fresh at the start of the 5k. Hopefully you will also save some energy for sunday.<br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />We just love the pain of it all <br /><br />Mike, bad news about the back fella, hope you are not out to long <br /><br />Sir P

[old] Roland Baltutis

e-row

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » October 7th, 2005, 7:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Oct 7 2005, 12:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Oct 7 2005, 12:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Oct 6 2005, 05:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jaap,<br />        I'll start together with Andreas and you @ 58 seconds if you join Hennie, Peiter, Jamie & me the day before in the 3 X 2000m workout. Can't have you starting the 5K too fresh without a solid workout the day before.  Gotta have a level playing field. Besides I need someone to push me to a triple sub 6:30 for the 3 X 2Ks.<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Roland,<br />You don't need to be scared that I will beat you in a straight race. I couldn't do a sub 6:30 2k twice if I wanted to and certainly not 3. If you can, you should also be able to row a 5k SB easily. I will be satisfied with a sub 17. I will miss Michael who is at about the same pace as I am.<br /><br />Your 2005 5k SB is even faster than Andreas, so I guess the race between you two can become very exciting, certainly now that Andreas already said he doesn't think he can do a PB now. It will be a lot less exciting if you start 8 seconds before Andreas and me.<br /><br />I can't join you with the 3x2k tomorrow and if I could I would row a comforable 1:42 pace, yes, to be fresh at the start of the 5k. Hopefully you will also save some energy for sunday.<br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry Jaap that you can't join us for the 3 X 2K workout. I guess I'll have to leave the 3 X sub 6:30 attempt for another time and play it safe. Andreas has rowed faster this season than my SB of 16:45.6 but I'm happy to start together with you guys at the back of the pack.<br /><br />Rockin Roland

[old] H_2O

e-row

Post by [old] H_2O » October 8th, 2005, 3:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DavidA+Oct 7 2005, 01:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DavidA @ Oct 7 2005, 01:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm sorry to hear about your back    I hope that you feel better soon, but what prompted you to get on the erg, and do no a fast marathon no less      with your back hurting? <br /><br />David<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I hurt the back pulling the rowing machine out on the porch for the marathon with 1500 calories in my stomach as fuel. There was no turning back.<br /><br />The row started out with the back unstable and getting better all the time.<br />After half an hour I was not even conscious of the back any more.<br />However it was not a perfect row. At 10km to go my right calf went into slight cramps periodically once every 500m. I had to severely cut back the pace.<br />I was still splitting 1:51.5 at kilometer 32.<br /><br />Actually I cured my back rowing.<br />At the low point I had to start with both feet out of the foot rests and splits of 9 minutes. But after 1 minute one foot went in and then the other and after 5 minutes I was splitting 2:05. After I get up from the rower the back is perfectly fine.<br /><br />The problem is not the rowing -- rather lying down.<br />As long as I stay upright and walk around -- no problems.<br />As soon as I lie down I can hardly get up any more.<br />Unfortunately one has to sleep.<br /><br />I am already much better now. Today I did 30 mins at 1:50 @ 24spm followed by some much faster rowing without problems.<br /><br />However I am not in Vienna where I have my internet connection.<br />It is a 4 hour drive and sitting in the car that long is another back-killer.

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 9th, 2005, 9:02 am

The results for the 5k fast_fall_5k this morning are:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br />                                    Time        Delay    Net Time<br />Pieter de Jong                17:32.8    0:05      17:27.8            <br />Hennie Martini                17:33.1    0:00      17:33.1    <br />Andreas J.J. van Tonder  17:42.4    0:58      16:44.4        <br />Roland Baltutis               17:45:6    0:58      16:47.6<br />Jaap Roosma                 17:48.6    0:58      16:50.6<br />Phil Morris                     17:56.6    0:30       17:26.6<br />Royston Brook               17:59.7    0:04       17:55.7<br />Gertwim Biemans           18:46.4    0:00       18:46.4<br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />A PB for Pieter, Hennie and Gertwim, congratulations. I came to the 16:50 by a 1:40 average in the first half, and 1:42 in the second half of the race. Next week I will try a more constant race around 1:40.6 in a PB attempt. <br /><br />Thanks all for racing. Frank, do you want me to send these results by e-mail to you (e.g. Excel format) or will you cut and paste the info above into Excel?<br /><br />Jaap

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 9th, 2005, 9:03 am

So how do you get these columns nicely alligned

[old] H_2O

e-row

Post by [old] H_2O » October 9th, 2005, 10:17 am

Congratulations!<br />Very good rowing all around.

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 9th, 2005, 11:25 am

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Oct 9 2005, 09:17 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Oct 9 2005, 09:17 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congratulations!<br />Very good rowing all around. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Michael, we (I) missed you. I think Andreas and Roland are about the same strength, a bit too fast for me. You and I are also about the same pace. Phil obviously missed someone of his pace. From his stroke data it looks like he fell asleep after 3k, to wake up and start sprinting just before finshing to keep Pieter and Hennie from his back. Maybe Nigel and/or Robert (umchugga) can keep us some company next week? Also Hennie and Pieter had a very close race.<br /><br />Hopefully your back will be cured, and you will have access to internet next week. <br /><br />Jaap

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » October 9th, 2005, 11:29 am

Was anybody using slides for the 5K? <br /><br />I was stuck in the middle, caught Roy then I went pop <br /><br />Sir P

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 9th, 2005, 11:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Oct 9 2005, 10:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sir Pirate @ Oct 9 2005, 10:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Was anybody using slides for the 5K? <br /><br />I was stuck in the middle, caught Roy then I went pop <br /><br />Sir P <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Phil, thought you joined umchugga's birthday party yesterday. Maybe your not in your best shape early in the morning? <br /><br />Jaap

[old] andyArvid

e-row

Post by [old] andyArvid » October 9th, 2005, 11:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Oct 9 2005, 09:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Oct 9 2005, 09:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So how do you get these columns nicely alligned <br /> </td></tr></table><br />like this<br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br />                               Time   Delay    Net Time<br />Pieter de Jong             17:32.8    0:05     17:27.8<br />Hennie Martini             17:33.1    0:00     17:33.1<br />Andreas J.J. van Tonder    17:42.4    0:58     16:44.4<br />Roland Baltutis            17:45:6    0:58     16:47.6<br />Jaap Roosma                17:48.6    0:58     16:50.6<br />Phil Morris                17:56.6    0:30     17:26.6<br />Royston Brook              17:59.7    0:04     17:55.7<br />Gertwim Biemans            18:46.4    0:00     18:46.4<br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />CODE uses a fixed-width font. Unfortunately the message editor uses a variable-width font. You need to line up the character position not the visual position in the editor. It may be easier to use a text editor like notepad then cut and paste.

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » October 9th, 2005, 11:54 am

<!--QuoteBegin-JaapR+Oct 9 2005, 03:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JaapR @ Oct 9 2005, 03:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Oct 9 2005, 10:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sir Pirate @ Oct 9 2005, 10:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Was anybody using slides for the 5K? <br /><br />I was stuck in the middle, caught Roy then I went pop <br /><br />Sir P <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Phil, thought you joined umchugga's birthday party yesterday. Maybe your not in your best shape early in the morning? <br /><br />Jaap <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jaap, I never row that early in the morning, always train at night. I must admit that I did find it a struggle after 3K, legs just not working that early.<br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] JaapR

e-row

Post by [old] JaapR » October 11th, 2005, 1:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-andyArvid+Oct 9 2005, 10:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(andyArvid @ Oct 9 2005, 10:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->CODE  uses a fixed-width font.  Unfortunately the message editor  uses a variable-width font.  You need to line up the character position not the visual position in the editor.  It may be easier to use a text editor like notepad then cut and paste.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the tip Andy. Next time the columns in the result report will look much better. Also noticed the preview button.<br /><br />Jaap