Ideal Physique Of A Rower

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Steve_R

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Steve_R » March 10th, 2005, 12:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chickenlegs+Mar 9 2005, 08:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(chickenlegs @ Mar 9 2005, 08:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->doing things differently is not necessarily better or worse:<br />[snip]<br />but using base-12 today is like using transistors in computers after learning about silicon chips. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Obviously you do believe that doing things differently is worse when it comes to having measures that are not metric. The US is not alone in the use of imperial measures. Many countries use imperial measures. What about time? Are you suggesting that there is some ease associated with calculating the number of seconds in 14.5 hours? And what is with having to learn a rhyme as a child to understand how many days are in the current month?<br /><br /><a href='http://www.ourcivilisation.com/weight/' target='_blank'>Here</a> is a page discussing the metric system in the UK.<br /><br />I wasn't saying that either one was better, I was saying that they both work for different things. Personally, I don't mind using both and I use them when it is easier to use one over the other. I like the flexibility.<br /><br />As to your computer reference, gotta love those archaic programmers using such a crazy system like Hex or base-2. How many terabits in 350 megabytes? - go ahead and use a calculator if you want, might as well take advantage of 200 years of electronic innovation.<br /><br />Steve

[old] chickenlegs

Post by [old] chickenlegs » March 10th, 2005, 3:54 am

all right, i'll give it another go, than i'll return to using the forum for its intended indoor rowing inteded topics. <br /><br />first, thanks for the article in the link.<br />some of the points raised in it i had heard before from defendants of the non-metric system.<br />reading an altitude sign that said something like "900 feet above sea level / 274 m" someone pointed out: "see that - that's an example of why using feet is more practical than using meters...900 feet, nice easy number to use and remember..274 meters, come on!"<br />another example reading the label on liquid container that described the amount inside as "1 quart / 950 mL" lead to the same conclusion.<br /><br />is it possible that most large vertical and horizontal distances on earth come out as nice round numbers in one system and overly specific numbers in the other?<br />do people in paris order 453 grams of meat in stores, go for 1613 meter runs and describe their parking job as 30.2 cm from the next car?<br /><br />accuracy.. <br />a meter is a fraction of a wavelength...<br />i have a meter stick here at home - is it a real meter? if not, can i stil use it?<br />i also have a foot long ruler - is that a real foot? what is a real foot?<br /><br />precision.. <br />what if i want to measure something really small, like the diameter of a mole on my skin - if the degree of precision is important to me, does it matter if i use inches (fraction of inches) or millimiters? will one unit make any calculations easier if the mole changes size?<br /><br />last question:<br />if a horse is really dehydrated, can you make it drink? <br /><br />all right, enough procrastinating, time to get on the erg and do my 32786.8885 feet row. <br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] Steve_R

Post by [old] Steve_R » March 10th, 2005, 8:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chickenlegs+Mar 10 2005, 02:54 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(chickenlegs @ Mar 10 2005, 02:54 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->all right, enough procrastinating, time to get on the erg and do my 32786.8885 feet row.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Agreed, now it is time for me to drive the 39428.9280150599 meters to work <br /><br />Steve