Mental Toughness

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] neilb

Training

Post by [old] neilb » September 1st, 2005, 8:19 am

For what it is worth I did my first 2k a few weeks ago.<br /><br />This was without having done anything less than 5k in anger before and with most training 30 - 60 min.<br /><br />I found that it was quite "ragged" and I felt that I did not peform to potential simply because I was not used to the spm needed for 2k.<br /><br />I am addressing this (and also helping develop better speed generally) by now adding 4X2k and 4 X 1k into weekly training.<br /><br />My first 2k was at 1:42 pace. I did the first 4 x 2k at 1:44 and this is a good session without pushing too much. It is helping condition me for the 2k proper and also gives me the confidence to know that I can do a faster time. Over the next few weeks I will try to reduce this towards the 1:42 so I then know that flat out I can use say 1:41 pace with a bit to spare.<br /><br />Same with 4x1k where I am looking at sub 1:40 for these sessions.<br /><br />As someone new to 2k PBs I agree with Pete that to get the best out of yourself you need experience of racing/hard training over the distance as well as all the other base work. Whether this is done as regular flat out 2ks or simply as part of training programme is more an individual decision.<br /><br />Neil

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » September 1st, 2005, 10:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Pete Marston+Sep 1 2005, 03:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Pete Marston @ Sep 1 2005, 03:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Byron Drachman+Aug 29 2005, 11:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Byron Drachman @ Aug 29 2005, 11:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I'm going for a 2k personal best </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yikes!!! I wouldn't try one more than once in a year, if that. And I would first complete the interactive 2K program at the UK forum before trying another one. I think there is a way to train and make a lot of progress and work hard such as following the interactive 2K program, but I don't think I want to do too many torture sessions like trying a 2K personal best.<br /><br />Byron <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think this is exactly the reason why so many people are afraid of the 2k, and under-perform when they come to doing one. If you only do a 2k once a year, or less, you just put too much pressure on that one day to perform well. A 2k is no harder than a hard interval session. The only reason I don't do regular 2k's is because it's not much of a training session on it's own.<br /><br />I truely don't believe you can get good at doing 2k's till you've done probably 20 or more of them. I also don't believe you can row a 2k to your full potential without having done one not that long before.<br /><br />Now I've been using the erg for about 4 years now, and have done something like 30 2k's just in erg races, never mind the ones in the gym! So I've perhaps averaged one every 6 weeks or so (although in racing season they are much closer than this).<br /><br />Pete <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I shouldn't argue with Pete. He's way better at rowing than I am. But here goes anyway: <br /><br />I was extrapolating from cycling. I used to do some time trials. For example, 25 miles was a standard distance. Most people did few, if any, before the state championships (which, by the way, I never won, but did get a second in my age group once.) The idea was to do shorter pieces at a slightly higher intensity. It is too easy to settle in on a pace that is not fast enough, especially if you are not wearing a number and there are no officials watching and timing you. <br /><br />At the shorter distances, such as 1K time trial, again you would do shorter segments at a higher intensity, eventually shortening the rest periods. <br /><br />Maybe if you have the mental discipline, doing many 2K's is a good idea. I am afraid I would settle in at a pace below maximum for me.<br /><br />I want to reserve those moments where I am on the verge of puking, sucking air so hard you can hear me a block away, etc. for when I have truly prepared. <br /><br />As I mentioned, I like the interactive 2K program at the UK website.<br /><br />Byron<br /><br />

[old] PeterWilkinson

Training

Post by [old] PeterWilkinson » September 1st, 2005, 11:57 am

More questions regarding interval training and mental toughness.<br /><br />What pace should 4 X 2K be rowed at, relative to target race pace? How does this help with 2K racing pace?<br /><br />Having done more distance work this year, my stamina is steadily improving, but I want to work on my mental approach to a fast 2K. How does interval training help with the mental side of rowing?<br />

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » September 1st, 2005, 12:43 pm

I just try not to get too hard on myself, I row as I feel. I know I am pretty much demanding on myself, so I am not afraid of making it too slow; OTOH, if I feelk relaxed, better paces will show up. Another important thing is to identify the reason of the bad thoughts: maybe you're just overtraining - it's good to "hear" your own thoughts, sometimes . About pb's I agree with P.Marston: don't put too much pressure over yourself, make it smoothly. <br /><br /><br />AM

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » September 1st, 2005, 1:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PeterWilkinson+Sep 1 2005, 04:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PeterWilkinson @ Sep 1 2005, 04:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What pace should 4 X 2K be rowed at, relative to target race pace? How does this help with 2K racing pace? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd guess near (or better than) your 5K pace. It depends on how much rest you have between intervals and how fast your HR comes down to a recovery rate (RHR x 2). [My RHR is ~55, my recovery rate, therefore, is ~110 and it takes about 55secs to get there from 170.]<br /><br />Since a 2K race is going to involve going eyeballs out for the last 500m you wouldn't want to do that for a 4 x 2K training session.<br /><br />I'm going to try to train for a 6:59.9 2K for BIRC in November, current PB is 7:14.1. I'm going to start the "Pete Plan" after I've rowed my next marathon on 10th Sept. I've got more time to train now that the cycling season is nearly finished (except for a few TTs at weekends).

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » September 1st, 2005, 3:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PeterWilkinson+Sep 1 2005, 11:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PeterWilkinson @ Sep 1 2005, 11:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->More questions regarding interval training and mental toughness.<br /><br />What pace should 4 X 2K be rowed at, relative to target race pace? How does this help with 2K racing pace?<br /><br />Having done more distance work this year, my stamina is steadily improving, but I want to work on my mental approach to a fast 2K. How does interval training help with the mental side of rowing? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Here's where I'm currently at with my paces:<br /><br />2k PB 1:48.7<br />4x1k 1:49.2<br />4x2k 1:54.9<br /><br />The 4x1k helps with the 2k racing pace, while the 4x2k helps with the endurance. Based on other posts, I'm using the 4x1k as my guide for how fast my 2k should be, instead of attempting another 2k.<br /><br />Mentally, I'm finding that keeping the pace for intervals builds a mental bank account to use for future use.<br /><br />Since your 2k PB is at 1:46, I'd do the 4x1k at 1:47 and the 4x2k at 1:53. Each time you do these workouts, go faster than the average from the prior workout. I target 1 second faster each time.

[old] dakotas dakota

Training

Post by [old] dakotas dakota » September 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm

I find that when I'm erging, I am always breaking it down into many smaller goals. Say I'm doing 5,000m. I try to concentrate on doing each 1,000m in a certain time. I sometimes break it down even more that I want to do every 500m in a certain time. It helps keeps me focused, energized, and it feels really good when I reach the many goals I set for myself in every workout.<br />amy.