Fingers Tingly And Somewhat Numb

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] slo_boat

General

Post by [old] slo_boat » January 4th, 2006, 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-edollar+Jan 4 2006, 02:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(edollar @ Jan 4 2006, 02:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (we mow on a 20 acre yard so I do mow for hours) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you are getting a lot of vibration from the mower, you might try getting some padded gloves. If you can't find them at a local hardware store (one that supplies contractors), try <a href='http://www.duluthtrading.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.duluthtrading.com/</a>. <br /><br />Knowing that keeping your hands on a steering wheel for long periods suggests that it could be related to how you hold your shoulders. In addition to simply letting go (one hand at a time ) and waving your arms around when you drive, you might also try lifting your shoulders to your ears and then dropping them from time to time. That helps because we often don't realize that we have raised our shoulders, and the intentional movement helps us "learn" where they are.<br /><br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 4th, 2006, 5:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-slo_boat+Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(slo_boat @ Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You need to change the material like this:<br /><br />-----|===|-----<br /><br />You might be able to find a rubber or silicone band. Even a very short piece of rope might work. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes that's a great idea. <br /><br />Whatever is used would need to be as strong as the chain and have stronger connections.<br /><br />If you're aware of anything like that, let me know.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 4th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Regarding driving, rowing has strengthened me to where driving feels much easier now, even driving for hours -- not that it was ever difficult but I feel the strength much more now driving.<br /><br />I always use a steering wheel cover and these help a lot.<br /><br />When I drove my friend's car without one, the car being the same model as mine, the steering wheel felt like riding a bicycle with no handlebar tape, i.e. rather brutal.<br /><br />If you don't have one, I highly recommend getting a cover for the steering wheel.

[old] slo_boat

General

Post by [old] slo_boat » January 5th, 2006, 11:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jan 4 2006, 04:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jan 4 2006, 04:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-slo_boat+Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(slo_boat @ Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You need to change the material like this:<br /><br />-----|===|-----<br /><br />You might be able to find a rubber or silicone band. Even a very short piece of rope might work. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes that's a great idea. <br /><br />Whatever is used would need to be as strong as the chain and have stronger connections.<br /><br />If you're aware of anything like that, let me know. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />John,<br /><br />Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I work out at a gym that has Model D's and I needed to go to another place that had Model C's. The D's are smoother than the C's, but I think that is a function of wear not design. I could not remember if there might be enough room to add something that might be 2-3 inches long or if the chain might have to be shortened first. At least with my short arms, the chain length is ok.<br /><br />I'm not sure if the "damping link" really needs to be as strong as the chain. Perhaps one of the coaches can confirm this, but I think that the force is probably less than 200 lbs. Of course it varies, and the instantaneous loading is much higher than the average load during the drive. Maybe one of the physics, math, or engineering types reading this will comment. (They can also talk explain the other stuff like modulus of elasticity or how differences in density affect propagation of waves through the material and why those things will affect the vibration transmitted to the handle.)<br /><br />Somewhere there must be a rubber or synthetic fitting about two inches long with an eye at each end. I know I’ve seen something like that, I just can’t remember the context.<br /><br />Otherwise, you could experiment with a piece of rope. You can pick up a piece of parachute cord at a surplus shop. We used to call the white stuff used on reserves 550 cord. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether 550 refers to breaking strength. If you want to spend a little more, you can find Kevlar cord the same size. It does not have to be long. The biggest problem should be abrasion where the cord slides through the fitting on the end of the chain. You could remedy that by making a link to go through the fitting and then looping the cord around that. <br /><br />Maybe the folks from C2 are listening and they’ll come up with some sort of “damping link” <br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 5th, 2006, 2:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-slo_boat+Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(slo_boat @ Jan 4 2006, 11:16 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You need to change the material like this:<br /><br />-----|===|-----  </td></tr></table><br />Maybe it just needs to be like this?<br /><br />-----|===|O<br /><br />I.e., putting the fitting between the chain and the handle.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-slo_boat+Jan 5 2006, 07:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(slo_boat @ Jan 5 2006, 07:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Somewhere there must be a rubber or synthetic fitting about two inches long with an eye at each end. I know I’ve seen something like that, I just can’t remember the context. </td></tr></table><br />If you come across one, let me know.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Otherwise, you could experiment with a piece of rope. You can pick up a piece of parachute cord at a surplus shop. We used to call the white stuff used on reserves 550 cord. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether 550 refers to breaking strength. If you want to spend a little more, you can find Kevlar cord the same size. It does not have to be long. The biggest problem should be abrasion where the cord slides through the fitting on the end of the chain. You could remedy that by making a link to go through the fitting and then looping the cord around that. </td></tr></table><br />Great ideas. Thanks much!<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Maybe the folks from C2 are listening and they’ll come up with some sort of “damping link”  </td></tr></table><br />They will probably do this eventually.

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » January 5th, 2006, 3:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-slo_boat+Jan 5 2006, 07:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(slo_boat @ Jan 5 2006, 07:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm not sure if the "damping link" really needs to be as strong as the chain. Perhaps one of the coaches can confirm this, but I think that the force is probably less than 200 lbs. Of course it varies, and the instantaneous loading is much higher than the average load during the drive. Maybe one of the physics, math, or engineering types reading this will comment. (They can also talk explain the other stuff like modulus of elasticity or how differences in density affect propagation of waves through the material and why those things will affect the vibration transmitted to the handle.)<br /><br />Maybe the folks from C2 are listening and they’ll come up with some sort of “damping link”  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />An additional link had better be quite strong, peak handle force over 200lbs is rather easy to generate.<br /><br />If the source of this vibration is vertical occillation of the chain, then it's likely traceable to a technical issue under the control of the person. i.e. jerky motions that set up the occillation at the release and then as the length of the chain is reduced during the recovery the wavelength becomes short and amplified.<br /><br />Although a rower would likely still have a "release" motion at the finish, this is not necessary on the Erg. Keeping the handle on an even plane should eliminate the vibration. Even when making the release motion, if it is done smoothly, the vibration is minimal.

[old] slo_boat

General

Post by [old] slo_boat » January 5th, 2006, 3:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jan 5 2006, 01:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jan 5 2006, 01:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Maybe it just needs to be like this?<br /><br />-----|===|O<br /><br />I.e., putting the fitting between the chain and the handle. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's really what I had in mind. Let us know how it turns out if you experiment with it.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 5th, 2006, 5:40 pm

A quick link will easily attach to the chain.<br /><br />Now to find one of the strong materials to tie in between the link and the U bolt.<br /><br />Would tying the cord through them in a circle be strong enough?