Usirt Update

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » June 16th, 2005, 11:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jun 16 2005, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jun 16 2005, 10:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Jun 16 2005, 06:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Jun 16 2005, 06:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Thanks Paul. I'll be doing a witnessed 2k tonight. Looking for a sub 6:10.<br /><br />Dwayne <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />5:51 is "sub 6:10".... <br /><br />Go get'em! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />So is 5:37, but we won't be going there today either. Just enough to make a solid bid for the dev squad.<br /><br />Dwayne

[old] NavigationHazard

General

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » June 16th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Okay, what are you supposed to do if you're going to change age categories between now and the Euro Champs?<br /><br />Which qualifying times are you supposed to meet? The category you're in now, or (presumably) the one you will be in?<br /><br />Moreover, six days' notice is bogus, if you ask me. I've been doing r20 UT2 work for the last 6 weeks.....

[old] Janice

General

Post by [old] Janice » June 16th, 2005, 2:21 pm

I'm sorry, but the open hwt times are just...<br /><br />The problem with the 6.50 time for hwt women is simply that anyone at that time is already going to be rowing at an elite, pre elite, or division 1 or 2 level and be coached by someone who isn't going to want them training to get to 6.40 at the height of fall season or being trained by someone else. If I turned up at a competition in England and managed anything under 7.15 I would be in a boat. <br /><br />A real time would have been 7.15 or even 7.20 if the goal is for serious development and not simply finding someone you can sharpen to 6.40 with speed work and regimented training.

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » June 16th, 2005, 2:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Janice+Jun 16 2005, 01:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Janice @ Jun 16 2005, 01:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm sorry, but the open hwt times are just...<br /><br />The problem with the 6.50 time for hwt women is simply that anyone at that time is already going to be rowing at an elite, pre elite, or division 1 or 2 level and be coached by someone who isn't going to want them training to get to 6.40 at the height of fall season or being trained by someone else. If I turned up at a competition in England and managed anything under 7.15 I would be in a boat. <br /><br />A real time would have been 7.15 or even 7.20 if the goal is for serious development and not simply finding someone you can sharpen to 6.40 with speed work and regimented training. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Sorry to argue this point with you, but this squad is a set of already elite athletes. It will be Mike and Tom's job to determine who is the best of the best, and will be going to EIRC.

[old] Pete Marston

General

Post by [old] Pete Marston » June 16th, 2005, 2:36 pm

What a bunch of crazy qualifying times.<br /><br />Is Ranger 55 now? If so he'd have to beat 7:09. What do you think Ranger, can you do that? And what will you then do for the rest of the session after you've warmed up. At least 2 or 3 50's lwt in my gym could do that.<br /><br />6:27 for an open lwt, again I know many people who could do that. Not so many open hwts who are sub 6 though.<br /><br />Dwayne, are you going to do your 6:10 strapless at 20spm tonight? Obviously they don't want open hwt women in the dev squad.<br /><br />If I was 10kg lighter, or 3 years older, I could make the qualifying standards I think.

[old] Pete Marston

General

Post by [old] Pete Marston » June 16th, 2005, 2:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Jun 16 2005, 06:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Jun 16 2005, 06:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Janice+Jun 16 2005, 01:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Janice @ Jun 16 2005, 01:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm sorry, but the open hwt times are just...<br /><br />The problem with the 6.50 time for hwt women is simply that anyone at that time is already going to be rowing at an elite, pre elite, or division 1 or 2 level and be coached by someone who isn't going to want them training to get to 6.40 at the height of fall season or being trained by someone else. If I turned up at a competition in England and managed anything under 7.15 I would be in a boat. <br /><br />A real time would have been 7.15 or even 7.20 if the goal is for serious development and not simply finding someone you can sharpen to 6.40 with speed work and regimented training. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Sorry to argue this point with you, but this squad is a set of already elite athletes. It will be Mike and Tom's job to determine who is the best of the best, and will be going to EIRC. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />See my post though Dwayne, some of the times are very far from elite times for that division, and some are right up there at elite levels. The time for your cat could have a lot of people meeting it don't you think? The 50's lwt ones, to pick more cats, could also have many people. The open hwt men and women's times are much harder though, IMO.

[old] Janice

General

Post by [old] Janice » June 16th, 2005, 3:02 pm

It is wonderful opportunity for all of you who are close to qualifying and I wish you the best of luck with your training.

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » June 16th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Pete,<br />The times may seem a bit off for some, but like Robert said they took the top times from last season and added 5%. <br /><br />That must mean that there were alot of fast Hvwt women last season.<br /><br />Dwayne

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » June 16th, 2005, 4:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Jun 16 2005, 07:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Jun 16 2005, 07:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jun 16 2005, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jun 16 2005, 10:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />5:51 is "sub 6:10"....    <br /><br />Go get'em! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />So is 5:37, but we won't be going there today either. Just enough to make a solid bid for the dev squad.<br /><br />Dwayne <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well yes it is, but that would be overkill on one of the longest standing WR's (in your current age class), and why not use the witnesses to maximum benefit? <br /><br />Seems to me that a 6:24 earns a spot on the DEV squad for a M40-49, the TEAM selection appears to be based on something in the future, I'm sure the dev squad can accomodate a much larger group, hence the relatively lax (+5% of time, but somehwere in the 87% of power, base requirement.) <br /><br />Main thing, Stay healthy for the w/e....<br /><br />Cheers!

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » June 16th, 2005, 4:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Main thing, Stay healthy for the w/e....<br /><br />Cheers! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />That's the main thing. Don't want to go and mess Masters up at this point do I?

[old] Pete Marston

General

Post by [old] Pete Marston » June 17th, 2005, 3:24 am

Dwayne,<br /><br />Good luck with the water racing it sounds like you have this coming weekend, and with selection for this squad, and coming over to the EIRC with the team. I should be going along to that, so would be great to meet you there, and watch you smash that WR.<br /><br />Sounds like a great opportunity for those who do get into this dev squad, just seems a shame that the purpose is to put together a squad that could gain the max number of medals at EIRC, rather than having some bias on developing younger talent, and the next generation of the sport. I think a good thing would be to catch people earlier with a development squad, those people who sit on the machine on their first go and pull a 6:20 or whatever. Not those who've training for a few years to get to sub 6 aready. Not only might they have got into bad habits by then, but those years could have been used much more productively, and they could be on their way to the olympics soon. Completely different use of a development squad though, and something that I'm sure goes on else where, if they have means of finding this erging talent early on.<br />Pete

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » June 17th, 2005, 7:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jun 16 2005, 08:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jun 16 2005, 08:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Seems to me that a 6:24 earns a spot on the DEV squad for a M40-49, the TEAM selection appears to be based on something in the future[right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Even if I used my six days wisely and made the dev squad by changing from distance training to sprint (plus a few days off for peaking), there is no way that I would qualify for the USIRT. The dev squad times are set easy to allow more rowers to participate.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] ranger

General

Post by [old] ranger » June 17th, 2005, 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is Ranger 55 now? If so he'd have to beat 7:09. What do you think Ranger, can you do that? And what will you then do for the rest of the session after you've warmed up </td></tr></table><br /><br />Pete--<br /><br />No, I won't be 55 for BIRC and EIRC this year. My 55th birthday is January 25, 2006. That means that I _will_ be 55 for WIRC/CRASH-Bs, though. The 55-59 lwt M world record is 6:41.9.<br /><br />The M 50s lwt qualification standard last year for the USIRT was 6:30! <br /><br />Are there a bunch of 50s lwts hanging around your gym who can row under 6:30? A bit harder than 7:09.5. <br /><br />ranger<br /><br />P.S. BTW, I have been included on the development team. I appreciate C2's decision on this. I was indeed interested in qualifying for the USIRT this year, even if selection is not necessarily based on merit, and was planning to do an official trial in the fall. <br />

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » June 17th, 2005, 4:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />P.S. BTW, I have been included on the development team. I appreciate C2's decision on this. I was indeed interested in qualifying for the USIRT this year, even if selection is not necessarily based on merit, and was planning to do an official trial in the fall. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Ranger,<br />Since Mike and Tom are the ones choosing the team this year, I'm guessing it will be based purely on best times and numbers of positions available.<br /><br />I personally think C2's choice of leaving it in the hands of the two National Coaches was a good one. The only thing we need to do now is test fast.<br /><br />Dwayne

[old] Pete Marston

General

Post by [old] Pete Marston » June 17th, 2005, 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jun 17 2005, 07:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Jun 17 2005, 07:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Pete--<br /><br />No, I won't be 55 for BIRC and EIRC this year. My 55th birthday is January 25, 2006. That means that I _will_ be 55 for WIRC/CRASH-Bs, though. The 55-59 lwt M world record is 6:41.9.<br /><br />The M 50s lwt qualification standard last year for the USIRT was 6:30! <br /><br />Are there a bunch of 50s lwts hanging around your gym who can row under 6:30? A bit harder than 7:09.5. <br /><br />ranger<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ok, I knew you were going to be 55 for one of the major comps this coming season. The only sport that makes people look forward to getting older - I can't wait till I turn 30.<br /><br />No, no 50's lwts in my gym under 6:30, one around 6:45, and another around 7mins.<br />