Bone Health

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 27th, 2005, 11:19 am

Hey tj!<br /><br />Yeah, I really liked the "Ms I-Am-So-Working-Out" persona. Quite a word picture that created in my brain.<br /><br />I guess these forums are like an athletic club of sorts, hey? We can all get lots of advice from lots of "trainers," and not have to deal so much with the dysfunctional components of the club etiquette and social scene. I really appreciate the support and info I get from these C2 forums.<br /><br />Off I go to get into my ratty sweatpants and tattered t-shirt to row some meters for the Holiday Challenge. <br /><br />--Jen

[old] grams

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] grams » November 27th, 2005, 3:55 pm

I just spent a week in Jupiter Florida on a business trip with my husband. I went to the very nice Jupiter Fitness Center every other day because they have 4 ergs and I could use one as long as I wanted to (read over an hour).<br /><br />None of the trainers knew how to set up the C2 for the retired folks who frequent the place during the day. Everyone was blown away at my speed and endurance, but they were erging under a real handicap. <br /><br />The ladies my age (60s and above) loved the erg but were cranking away at df 10 because that's where the macho men the night before had set it. One lady was 75 and recovering from a triple bypass. I spent about 1/2 hour every visit coaching folks on df 3, legs, back, arms, 10 m/stroke and 20 spm.<br /><br />Every gym I have been to (England, Australia, US) always have the df's on 10 and the mature folks trying to cope with it. Showing a training video there could save someone a lot of pain, I think.<br /><br />I vote for spreading the C2 "How to Row' video around.<br /><br />FYI Xeno, upper body strength is great for us old ladies. As Raquel Welch (I think) said: 'The shoulders are the last to go'<br /><br />

[old] drkcgoh

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] drkcgoh » December 2nd, 2005, 6:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hirsmar+Nov 24 2005, 02:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hirsmar @ Nov 24 2005, 02:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Although I walk and jog, mostly I erg during the winter months for exercise and training for the dragon boat season. I am aware of the need for weight bearing exercise to maintain bone density. Does anyone know if exercising on the erg is considered weight bearing? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> In the true sense of the word, Indoor rowing is not weight bearing because you are seated whle you exercise. But in terms of increasing bone strength it scores over the conventional weight bearing exercises because there is the distraction as well as the compression of bone that provides the stimulus to bone growth (as postulated by Franz Lanyon). <br /> I have a case study of a 76 year old lady who regularly runs along hilly tracks and competes at masters Athletics, but has sustained fractures of her limbs including the ankle with minor falls. She recovered from a fractured ankle in 2 months through Indoor Rowing to run 100m in 24 sec. On the other extreme, I have built up my bone density to +2.4 at age 64 without a single supplement, but row regularly, and have not sustained a single fracture even after tumbling down a hill and falling down during races several times. There are many others who have demonstrated improved bone density thru Indoor Rowing alone, but not rigorously studied in controlled scientific studies. Many scientific studies have also shown that running even at Masters level is no match for weight training to improve bone strength. There is a good study in MSSE by Kevin Vincent & Randy Braith to demonstrate the value of weight training, the intensity needed, and the type of exercises done to improve bone strength. But it is tedious to weight train, and so much easier to row for an hour than to lift wieghts for even half that time. It is also much easier to get injured thru weight training, whereas Indoor Rowing can be used for Prehabilitation as well as post injury rehabilitation.<br />KC64