Challenge?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Iliana

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Iliana » December 15th, 2005, 12:06 am

<!--QuoteBegin-holladay+Dec 14 2005, 07:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holladay @ Dec 14 2005, 07:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When I log onto the Concept 2 on-line log book, the meters for the season and the challenge are listed in a box near the top left.<br /><br />Susan Holladay's Logbook<br />454,457m <br /><br />124,221 Holiday Challenge Meters (in red.) <br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Excellent!!!! Right there in front of my nose!<br /><br />Thank you :-)<br /><br />../Iliana

[old] kit44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kit44 » December 15th, 2005, 8:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-efg+Dec 13 2005, 12:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(efg @ Dec 13 2005, 12:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm at 159,726 m.  <br /><br />The tough part will be staying with it AFTER the Holiday Challenge ends - I tend to stop rowing.  I'm hoping this forum will provide the motivation I need.  <br /><br />I want to try to reach 2 million meters before this season ends (should need about 500 k after the HC ends).  It seems like a good goal - even if I don't make it in time, I could get close.  <br /><br />How do other people here deal with wanting a break from rowing after the HC?  Or is it only a problem for me?<br /><br />Emilia <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I know I'll keep on rowing after the challenge, though I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off, and then getting back to some speed work rather than builiding up metres. My problem is these last 10 days - I've got about 50 k left to do and while I like it once I get on the machine, I'm getting overwhelmed by the thought that I might not manage a day off between now and the end of the challenge. Part of me says just do a couple of long rows....part of me knows 30 minutes/day will do it....all of me knew this wouldn't be easy (I've never completed to 200k challenge) but I didn't think I'd be scuppering myself mentally so close to the end. Anyone else feeling the same way?<br /><br />Kit

[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » December 15th, 2005, 10:25 am

<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I know I'll keep on rowing after the challenge, though I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off, and then getting back to some speed work rather than builiding up metres.  My problem is these last 10 days - I've got about 50 k left to do and while I like it once I get on the machine, I'm getting overwhelmed by the thought that I might not manage a day off between now and the end of the challenge. Part of me says just do a couple of long rows....part of me knows 30 minutes/day will do it....all of me knew this wouldn't be easy (I've never completed to 200k challenge) but I didn't think I'd be scuppering myself mentally so close to the end.  Anyone else feeling the same way?<br /><br />Kit <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hey Kit, you'll make it!!! you're sooo close.<br />Try doing an easy 10K every other day. Pop your favorite DVD in and just row. Or your most relaxing music and just get in a gentle rythm. Use the time to think and plan and try not to pay attention to the fact that you're rowing. If you've never done the HC before there's no such thing as junk meters. Just making that distance in a month is great at building your endurance base. So be nice to yourself! Plus I remember last year after finishing the HC--lots of those meters were just slow get it done meters-- a whole lot of PBs followed. So you will have that to look forward to in January!<br /><br />I still have 95K to go so that is going to be 10K/day with no breaks now. Some of it has to be interval stuff because I'm trying to follow the Wolverine Plan, and also I'm trying to do the 6K Cross Team Challenge thing like Krysta. But I really want that HC T shirt!!!

[old] kit44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kit44 » December 15th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Oh my, Carla - I would really be in trouble if I still had 95 km to do - that alone will make it easier to get on the machine. (though I haven't done my row for today yet... ) I know I'm not nearly ready to give up ...and I do know I'm pretty close...so off I go to row. Thanks!<br />Kit<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-seat5+Dec 15 2005, 09:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(seat5 @ Dec 15 2005, 09:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I know I'll keep on rowing after the challenge, though I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off, and then getting back to some speed work rather than builiding up metres.  My problem is these last 10 days - I've got about 50 k left to do and while I like it once I get on the machine, I'm getting overwhelmed by the thought that I might not manage a day off between now and the end of the challenge. Part of me says just do a couple of long rows....part of me knows 30 minutes/day will do it....all of me knew this wouldn't be easy (I've never completed to 200k challenge) but I didn't think I'd be scuppering myself mentally so close to the end.  Anyone else feeling the same way?<br /><br />Kit <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hey Kit, you'll make it!!! you're sooo close.<br />Try doing an easy 10K every other day. Pop your favorite DVD in and just row. Or your most relaxing music and just get in a gentle rythm. Use the time to think and plan and try not to pay attention to the fact that you're rowing. If you've never done the HC before there's no such thing as junk meters. Just making that distance in a month is great at building your endurance base. So be nice to yourself! Plus I remember last year after finishing the HC--lots of those meters were just slow get it done meters-- a whole lot of PBs followed. So you will have that to look forward to in January!<br /><br />I still have 95K to go so that is going to be 10K/day with no breaks now. Some of it has to be interval stuff because I'm trying to follow the Wolverine Plan, and also I'm trying to do the 6K Cross Team Challenge thing like Krysta. But I really want that HC T shirt!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] LittleBit

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LittleBit » December 15th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Hello to all Ducks:<br />I'm trying to do the 100,000 Challendge, as I got my rower 11-1. I'm a bit on the "pity pot" today, as I've been sick for a couple of days & have more meters to go than I would like at this point. Just venting a little helps, and any words of encouragement are appreciated!<br />Catherine

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 15th, 2005, 2:55 pm

Hello Catherine,<br /><br />So sorry to hear you've been sick. I find it impossible to row when I'm the slightest bit sick, and I usually have to take it easy (slower, shorter rowing sessions) when I do start back. So don't feel too discouraged. I didn't even do the Holiday Challenge the first year we had the rower. My husband got the C2 for me to use, but I think it sat in our house doing nothing for over 2 years before I actually 'discovered' it! It took starting an online log (at my husband's insistence) and the finding out about the Holiday Challenge to get me started.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] kit44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kit44 » December 15th, 2005, 3:44 pm

Again I thank you. Carla - got on the rower this afternoon intending on slow and easy hour, stopped after getting nicely warmed up to deal with dogs stealing Christmas ornaments, got into a lovely rhythm and managed a PB for 60 minutes - a nice bonus, but knocking 13+km off my "yet to row" total was even better! I want that t-shirt too!<br />Kit <br /><br /><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-kit44+Dec 15 2005, 11:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(kit44 @ Dec 15 2005, 11:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh my, Carla - I would really be in trouble if I still had 95 km to do - that alone will make it easier to get on the machine. (though I haven't done my row for today yet... ) I know I'm not nearly ready to give up ...and I do know I'm pretty close...so off I go to row. Thanks!<br />Kit<br /><br />[[right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hey Kit, you'll make it!!! you're sooo close.<br />Try doing an easy 10K every other day. Pop your favorite DVD in and just row. Or your most relaxing music and just get in a gentle rythm. Use the time to think and plan and try not to pay attention to the fact that you're rowing. If you've never done the HC before there's no such thing as junk meters. Just making that distance in a month is great at building your endurance base. So be nice to yourself! Plus I remember last year after finishing the HC--lots of those meters were just slow get it done meters-- a whole lot of PBs followed. So you will have that to look forward to in January!<br /><br />I still have 95K to go so that is going to be 10K/day with no breaks now. Some of it has to be interval stuff because I'm trying to follow the Wolverine Plan, and also I'm trying to do the 6K Cross Team Challenge thing like Krysta. But I really want that HC T shirt!!!<br />[

[old] grams

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grams » December 15th, 2005, 8:31 pm

For those of you thinking that the only way you are going to get the HC finished is by doing a full marathon here is some encouragement.<br /><br />My first marathon-all the things that went wrong.<br /><br />My cd player kept skipping and hiccupping so I probaby stopped and went over the player 5 or six times and manually reset it.<br /><br />I hadn't remodeled my rowing shoes properly to accomodate my custom arch supports, so I got terrible blisters at about 30,000, and had to stop, go upstairs and fetch some bandaids and towels, put on the bandaids and pad the footrests with the towels and then finish barefooted. Not the way I had ever erged before.<br /><br />I wore a raw spot on my tailbone and had to get another bandaid.<br /><br />I forgot to stop my stopwatch at the end. My PM2 kept track but I had trouble mentally converting the time it recorded. Probably because I was brain dead after the row.<br /><br />My time was over 4 hours. And I was still very proud that I had done it. My rower grandson had never done one...<br /><br />So, you can do it too. And probably under 4 hours. No matter what your time is you will still be joining an elite group of ladies.<br /><br />Grams<br />

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 15th, 2005, 9:23 pm

Today I had a really good row. I got home before everyone else and set the timer for 60 minutes. I hadn't rowed for the last two days because I have been sick to my stomach.<br /><br />Everything went well. I just closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing. With every stroke I could feel the wind I was generating. (I have one of those C-breeze covers over my erg so all the wind comes towards me.) I had toddler socks on the handle bars and a towel under my bottom. Thanks everybody for all the good suggestions! I added 1300 meters to my best distance for 60 minutes.<br /><br />Typically my rows are constantly interupted by the book on tape needing to be turned over or my 5 year old needing something opened or found or just because she is coming and going from the room and I need to watch my stroke not to elbow her, or the phone ringing or needed to go to the bathroom myself.<br /><br />Thanks Grams for sharing your first marathon. I am going to have to do a HM on Saturday and just couldn't picture getting that far with all the interuptions. But your story showed me that I just need to keep getting back on and to keep going!<br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck.<br />C Breeze Website (http://www.ps-sport.net/)

[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » December 16th, 2005, 1:50 am

I remember when you did that first marathon, Grams! Was it on the rower I'm now using? BTW I still love this model C!<br /><br />Great job, Susan on getting back on the erg even though you were sick before and your kids are distracting! <br /><br />I now have 80K left and 9 days to do it. I'm not sure if I'm going to take a few days off and do a marathon (having to do one to finish the HC is a great way to make yourself do one if you're not really so inclined) or if I'm just going to slog along with ~10K a day now. I'll have to see how it goes. It would be cool to earn a new Marathon mug and an HC Tshirt at the same time!<br /><br />Hey--we could all post our pictures wearing our HC T shirts and drinking a toast with our marathon mugs.<br /><br />

[old] widgeon

Women's Forum

Post by [old] widgeon » December 16th, 2005, 7:26 am

Hello ducks! I havn't posted before, so I'll see if this works. I just completed my HC this morning. Couldn't sleep at 2:30 and decided to do a long row so I can get some Xmas shopping in this evening. I am working out of town this week, so I loaded my (partially disassembled) rower into the back seat of my volkswagon and brought it with me so I could keep working toward the challenge this week.<br /><br />I've been a duck for a couple of months now. It is alot more fun and inspirational than I would have imaginged to be part of a virtual club. I feel like I know alot of you at this point, so about time I jumped in and introduced myself! Thanks for all the comeradarie and good advice!<br /><br />Let me add some encouragement to the ducks who are struggling. YOU CAN DO IT! For myself, If I find that I am not looking forward to rowing, getting too tired or if I get depressed, irritable, or start being irrational, (or moreso than usual ) I am overtraining. Taking a day(or two) off does me alot of good. It also helps me to slow down my stroke rate, go at a slower split time and drop my resistance setting back. Just ease off in general! Hope that helps a bit.<br /><br />Did anybody notice that the ducks are in 5th place? Wahoo!!! Great rowwing ducks!<br /><br /><br />pam <br /><br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 16th, 2005, 7:56 am

Ker-splash! Buffles has landed!<br /><br />I really want to thank all of you - newbies to veterans - who have been posting on this thread. You have no idea how much encouragement I get from reading all your posts. I wish I had time to respond to each of you personally, but that just isn't feasible. When would I have time to row! <br /><br />Anyway, I only have 27,500 meters to go after rowing 20K last night! I'm gonna make it! That leaves me three days to finish - shouldn't be a problem.<br /><br />I better get my tailfeathers shakin' - gotta get to work. Last day for a while. Woo Hoo!! <br /><br />Keep up the great work!<br />Buffles

[old] Sparks

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Sparks » December 16th, 2005, 11:36 am

Hi Ducks! I just joined today and I'm very excited to be part of a team again! I just got my erg in October after 6 years away from the sport and I am loving it! <br /><br />I'm working on the Challenge, I have 150,000 done and I can't believe that I've been able to do that. I've had to tell myself several times "<i>I am getting that t-shirt!</i>" It's encouraging to read what everyone has to say, it's helpful that other rowers are having the some of the same issues that I am.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 16th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Hey Pam!<br /><br />Welcome to the Duck Pond, and way to go on finishing that HC with lotsa time to spare! Nice job. Are you getting a t-shirt or a sweatshirt?? I want the sweatshirt. I've only got about 25k left to go, so I'm going to try to do a big chunk of that today, and maybe finish up tomorrow. <br /><br />We got a surprise snowfall--last night at midnight when I went to bed, the weather report was calling for an inch. I get up at 6:30 and we have a heavy snow warning with 6-10 inches. That's the Wisconsin Northwoods for ya! I love snow...good thing. But today I get to row and look out the window as it's coming down. Nice. And I'm glad I have the day off!<br /><br />Yay Buffles! I'm glad you're going to get that HC finished before your surgery! How long will it be before you can row again? I've got a couple of bad knees, right worse than left, so it's probably not too long before I'll be needing some repair work with them.<br /><br />Catherine, hang in there! Sorry to hear you've been sick, and I hope you're back up to full power soon.<br /><br />Carla--I think that would be a great idea, to have all of the FM women posting a pic with their new marathon mugs. You folks are amazing to be able to do that. One of these days....<br /><br />And like Buffle said, thanks to all of ya's who have posted all of the notes here. It's helped to keep me going, so I appreciate it! Great job, everyone. <br /><br />--Jen

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 16th, 2005, 3:58 pm

I finished the Holiday Challenge last night First time I ever finished before Dec. 23-24! I guess my body really wanted more (some, ANY) exercise. I find I am more tired at night, but I no longer feel like I'm going through the day in a sleepy daze.<br /><br />Emilia