Virtual Team Rowing Challenge – January 2006

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Hey Fowl Players!<br /><br />Just to put things into perspective, we're close to 2,500,000 team meters! I converted that to miles, and that's over 1500 miles we've rowed as a team. Are we going places, or what? <br /><br />Here's a website that calculates the conversions: <a href='http://www.metric-conversions.org/lengt ... -miles.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.metric-conversions.org/lengt ... htm</a><br /><br />Nice job, everyone. It all adds up, even those little rows we sometimes feel aren't worth it. Keep it up!<br /><br />GO FOWL PLAY!!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » January 7th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Another 9k in....<br /><br />Margaret

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 7th, 2006, 7:16 pm

OK. Thanks to you guys, I got on my butt (on the rower, that is ) and did my 30 minutes. I wasn't motivated going into it, but it turned out alright.<br /><br />Go Fowl!<br /><br />Schenley

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 1:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-MomofJBN+Jan 7 2006, 07:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(MomofJBN @ Jan 7 2006, 07:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->OK.  Thanks to you guys, I got on my butt (on the rower, that is ) and did my 30 minutes.  I wasn't motivated going into it, but it turned out alright.<br /><br />Go Fowl!<br /><br />Schenley <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yay Schenley!<br /><br />Yeah, I have times where it took almost all I had to get on that rower. Sometimes I could only do a couple of thousand meters, but usually once I got going, it was okay. It was just GETTING there that was the problem. One of my longest rows was accomplished on a day when I initially didn't want to get near that darn ol' rower!<br /><br />And ya did it, way to go! <br /><br />And Margaret, too! Got 9k in today. I ran out of time and only got 6.5k, but I got my goal of 50k for the week in spite of a slow start because I felt rotten the first few days of the challenge. <br /><br />GO FOWL PLAY!!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » January 8th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Hello,<br /><br />Now I am writing for motivation. If I write that I'm going to row, I generally do.... <br /><br />Snowshoeing yesterday was great. We climbed pretty high up, and got a nice view of the mountains before the clouds rolled in. We made it back down before the rain started. <br /><br />I'm sure all the rowing helped with endurance, but I feel sore today, and it's making me feel like lounging around instead of rowing. The thing is, I know I always feel better after rowing, so why is it so hard to just go and do it sometimes?<br /><br />OK - so now that I've said I'm going to row, I'll make sure I actually DO it.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] voodoogirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] voodoogirl » January 8th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Hi Everybody,<br /><br />Maybe someone has dealt with this particular problem before? I broke my finger this weekend--left ring finger. It's not splinted (yet) or anything, but hurst like crazy to bend it (I broke the very top bone). I didn't row Sat or Sun (broke it Sat) but want to row tomorrow---?? Not sure how to do that! Maybe splinting it so it won't bend but I can grip with the rest of my hand? Anyone have any ideas? I'm way behind on my meters! The rest of me feels fine, it's frustrating for one finger to hold the rest of me back.<br /><br />Thanks--any encouragement and all help, even if it sounds nutty, appreciated.<br /><br />Laurie <br /><br />Mt. Rainier, Md.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 9:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-lauriestahl+Jan 8 2006, 08:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(lauriestahl @ Jan 8 2006, 08:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everybody,<br /><br />Maybe someone has dealt with this particular problem before? I broke my finger this weekend--left ring finger. It's not splinted (yet) or anything, but hurst like crazy to bend it (I broke the very top bone). I didn't row Sat or Sun (broke it Sat) but want to row tomorrow---?? Not sure how to do that! Maybe splinting it so it won't bend but I can grip with the rest of my hand? Anyone have any ideas? I'm way behind on my meters! The rest of me feels fine, it's frustrating for one finger to hold the rest of me back.<br /><br />Thanks--any encouragement and all help, even if it sounds nutty, appreciated.<br /><br />Laurie <br /><br />Mt. Rainier, Md. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Amazing isn't it, how one little tiny injured part of your body affects everything you try to do? And since there's such a concentration of nerve endings the closer you get to the fingertip, that thing probably hurts like crazy!<br /><br />What happened that caused you to get a broken finger? There's usually a good story to go with that kind of stuff! <br /><br />Hmmm...I'd at least want to get it splinted just to stabilize the finger and limit its motion, and even then your doc may not want you to use it much for awhile, just to give the bone time to knit together. Otherwise you might get a non-union of the fracture, which would probably mean surgery, etc. If you have a telephone advisory nurse in your area, you might give them a call and ask for some advice, or give your doc's office a call tomorrow (which is probably what the telephone advisory nurse will say) and see what s/he would recommend. I'm not much help with orthopedic stuff--I do pap tests! <br /><br />Some sports medicine folks might jump in here and be able to give you better info, or try one of the other topics in the forum and see what info ya get there. <br /><br />Anyway, what a bummer! I'll eat some chocolate for ya, that might help. Hang in there, Laurie! The rest of us will pull harder to help ya's--this'll motivate me to do some extra meters. You'd do the same for us. <br /><br />--Jen in WI<br /><br />

[old] writingfool

Women's Forum

Post by [old] writingfool » January 8th, 2006, 9:48 pm

An earlier message mentioned trying to row every day. I thought it might be of interest to hear that the February issue of Runner's World addresses this subject and says that the latest thinking is that it's okay to take two or three days off each week, even when training for a major event like a marathon or triathalon. "Your body responds well because it's fully recovered by the time the next workout rolls around. This schedule doesn't mean you have to run fewer miles. You can do alternate-day eight milers instead of daily four milers." It also says, "As long as you fit in one long run and one fast workout each week, you can stay in decent shape." Sounds good to me!<br /><br />Wendy

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 10:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-writingfool+Jan 8 2006, 09:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(writingfool @ Jan 8 2006, 09:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->An earlier message mentioned trying to row every day. I thought it might be of interest to hear that the February issue of Runner's World addresses this subject and says that the latest thinking is that it's okay to take two or three days off each week, even when training for a major event like a marathon or triathalon. "Your body responds well because it's fully recovered by the time the next workout rolls around. This schedule doesn't mean you have to run fewer miles. You can do alternate-day eight milers instead of daily four milers."  It also says, "As long as you fit in one long run and one fast workout each week, you can stay in decent shape." Sounds good to me!<br /><br />Wendy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the info, Wendy! <br /><br />Interesting, especially when that info is compared with the new fitness guidelines that recommend some kind of aerobic activity for 30-90 minutes most days of the week. However, I can usually get up in the better ranges of times for my workouts when I row after a day or two off. I think it allows the muscles to heal up a tad from all of the exertion. And I think I've read somewhere that after three days of inactivity, you'll really start to lose ground. There's a point also where if you haven't worked out for x-amount of time (it's in the range of a few weeks), that you basically have to start over. I can't remember what that mark is, however. Anyone from that article on that??<br /><br />Anyway, what that article adds up to is--I need more vacation time, hey? <br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] tjod

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tjod » January 8th, 2006, 10:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-lauriestahl+Jan 8 2006, 04:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(lauriestahl @ Jan 8 2006, 04:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everybody,<br /><br />Maybe someone has dealt with this particular problem before? I broke my finger this weekend--left ring finger. <br />...<br />...<br />Thanks--any encouragement and all help, even if it sounds nutty, appreciated.<br />Laurie <br /><br />Mt. Rainier, Md. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Laurie;<br /><br />There was a post in another thread for some straps designed for carpal tunnel syndrome sufferers. Here's the <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showuser=3193' target='_blank'>link</a>. I'm not sure if will work, and I think they're very spendy, but maybe you can get an idea from it or get a half-price deal for one... There are also other altermatives mentioned in the thread that might help. <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... pal+tunnel' target='_blank'>Carpal Tunnel Thread</a>

[old] tigger2esq

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tigger2esq » January 8th, 2006, 10:21 pm

I had to miss yesterday and I felt so bad I rowed TWICE today!!! 30 min first thing this morning and I just did 8k! feeling great!!<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Those straps are a cool idea! I would think that might help take some of the stress off of the hand and the fingers. Laurie could show a pic of that to her doc, perhaps.<br /><br />--Jen

[old] rspenger

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rspenger » January 9th, 2006, 12:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-lauriestahl+Jan 8 2006, 05:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(lauriestahl @ Jan 8 2006, 05:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everybody,<br /><br />Maybe someone has dealt with this particular problem before? I broke my finger this weekend--left ring finger. It's not splinted (yet) or anything, but hurst like crazy to bend it (I broke the very top bone). I didn't row Sat or Sun (broke it Sat) but want to row tomorrow---?? Not sure how to do that! Maybe splinting it so it won't bend but I can grip with the rest of my hand? Anyone have any ideas? I'm way behind on my meters! The rest of me feels fine, it's frustrating for one finger to hold the rest of me back.<br /><br />Thanks--any encouragement and all help, even if it sounds nutty, appreciated.<br /><br />Laurie <br /><br />Mt. Rainier, Md. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />At the EIRC last month, Anna Bailey showed up with her broken (sprained?) wrist in a cast. Nevertheless, she gamely went ahead and competed - rowing with one hand! <br />What can I say? - her 2k time was considerably shorter than mine.<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] tjod

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tjod » January 9th, 2006, 1:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 8 2006, 06:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 8 2006, 06:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Those straps are a cool idea!  I would think that might help take some of the stress off of the hand and the fingers.  Laurie could show a pic of that to her doc, perhaps.<br /><br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I can see using them for limited, specific use for short periods. I don't see them as a good long term solution because they look as though they change the angle of the wrist to the handle. and perpas lead to worse problems down the road.<br />

[old] Annabassand

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Annabassand » January 9th, 2006, 4:48 am

Hi<br /><br />I've just returned from skiing in Austria :-) It was very good indeed. <br /><br />You have done so well since kick off! I am amazed. I will have to start too - though I am a bit low on energy and motivation at the moment. Man skiing is stressful on the body. I also have a bit of a cold which I need to shake. <br /><br />Take care<br /><br />/Anna<br /><br />