Anybody Do Weight Watcher's?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Karen

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Karen » February 1st, 2006, 11:56 pm

Hi All<br /><br />I just got my rower, which is kind of my present for dropping 38 lbs. via WW. I have about 20 more to go, and hope that adding rowing to my routine will put a spark into my losses.<br /><br />Anybody else here follow the WW program in addition to their training plan?

[old] Janice

Post by [old] Janice » February 2nd, 2006, 12:31 am

I do. I think if you do a search you'll find another thread from about this time last year that WW was the topic of discussion. I will say that if you start erging a lot, be prepared to be really hungry!

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » February 2nd, 2006, 12:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Karen+Feb 1 2006, 08:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Karen @ Feb 1 2006, 08:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All<br /><br />I just got my rower, which is kind of my present for dropping 38 lbs. via WW.  I have about 20 more to go, and hope that adding rowing to my routine will put a spark into my losses.<br /><br />Anybody else here follow the WW program in addition to their training plan? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Yes I have done WW. I lost 25-30 pounds. It was pretty neat. While I ran the rowing workouts at the Iron Oarsman, I was able to eat a fair bit still. I was allowed 28 points at the beginning. I have not tried the non point diet. This something that I would like to start sometime soon. I am steadily carrying 250+pounds and row roughly an average of 12K since May 1st.<br />XENO<br />And I almost forgot, GOOD JOB loosing the weight without rowing. It will be great once you start putting in the miles. It is very likely that the Ducks are going to recruit you to row for them in the world ranking. B U T if you are interested we want you with the IRON OARSMAN. We are working hard to put in as many meters as possible.<br />Again congratulations on your weight loss.<br />XENO

[old] Orli12

Post by [old] Orli12 » February 2nd, 2006, 4:38 pm

I had been rowing for about 2 months with no weight loss. I felt good but I really need to loose the pounds. At 5"6"" I was almost at 190lbs. Well, I started WW about 2 weeks ago and I've lost 6 pounds. I thought WW would be hard to follow but it's not bad. Thinking back it's no wonder I wasn't fatter. I really feel motivated to row and get activity points!

[old] Karen

Post by [old] Karen » February 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Feb 1 2006, 11:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Feb 1 2006, 11:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->  .  B U T if you are interested we want you with the IRON OARSMAN.  We are working hard to put in as many meters as possible.<br />Again congratulations on your weight loss.<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />How do I go about joining? Also, is it for males, or both?<br /><br />I don't know if I would be much help...I 'thought' I was doing pretty well the first couple times, when I realized I was rowing at a 2:30 pace...then I looked at a chart, and realized it was among the slowest options. I guess it can only get better. I don't plan on rowing only...I also vary my cardio workouts with the treadmill, elliptical and bike, but am still interested in becoming a joiner.

[old] Terry S

Post by [old] Terry S » February 2nd, 2006, 5:14 pm

Karen--try www.weightwatchers.com. They have a variety of programs. I've been on their FlexPoint program since Thanksgiving. Started at 196 and was 174 on Monday. Of course, there's about 470K meters over that intervening period. Xeno's right--you'll find the rowing helps alot. Rowing adds points to your daily quota under the plan--for good reason!<br /><br />The program I signed up for is done entirely on the Internet and doesn't involve any meetings, etc. Males and females alike. No special food. No prohibitions. Just an awareness of what you're eating, portion control, and avoiding empty calories. Perfect system for me, and I think it will prove effective in "changing eating habits" which is, of course, what every authority says one must do to keep the pounds off. I've found it changed my exercise habits as well.<br /><br />Give it a look.<br /><br />Terry

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » February 2nd, 2006, 7:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Karen+Feb 2 2006, 01:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Karen @ Feb 2 2006, 01:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Feb 1 2006, 11:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Feb 1 2006, 11:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->  .  B U T if you are interested we want you with the IRON OARSMAN.  We are working hard to put in as many meters as possible.<br />Again congratulations on your weight loss.<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />How do I go about joining? Also, is it for males, or both?<br /><br />I don't know if I would be much help...I 'thought' I was doing pretty well the first couple times, when I realized I was rowing at a 2:30 pace...then I looked at a chart, and realized it was among the slowest options. I guess it can only get better. I don't plan on rowing only...I also vary my cardio workouts with the treadmill, elliptical and bike, but am still interested in becoming a joiner. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi<br />Joining a team is open to anybody. There are a couple teams who restrict enrollement, but not IRON OARSMAN. The task to pool kilometers to get to the top of the ranking is hard enough as it is so we would love to have you on board. Every stroke counts. Cross training is very good it keeps your interest up. 230/500 is not bad at all. Your learning and fitness curve is very steep at the beginning. With miles you will notice how quickly you will become more endurant and powerful.<br />I look forward to having you on the board with IRON OARSMAN!<br />XENO<br />PS: in order to join Iron Oarsman you need to create a profile on the concept2 website. Afterwarde you have to sign out an sign back in again and edit your profile. At the bottom of the page pick IRON OARSMA from the drop down menu.<br />XENO

[old] Karen

Post by [old] Karen » February 6th, 2006, 12:48 am

<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I look forward to having you on the board with IRON OARSMAN!<br />XENO </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Okay...I finally had a chance to do it. <br /><br />Do I have to log my workout each day, or can I do it as I get time at the computer, say every couple of days?? I did just log 3 workouts at once. I hope that is not a problem.<br /><br />thanks for welcoming me aboard...

[old] kinley

Post by [old] kinley » February 6th, 2006, 10:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Do I have to log my workout each day, or can I do it as I get time at the computer, say every couple of days?? I did just log 3 workouts at once. I hope that is not a problem. </td></tr></table><br /><br />No, you don't have to log your workout the day it is rowed. The first two years I did the Holiday Challenge I logged my meters twice a week at the public library, and it wasn't a problem at all. It still counts.<br /><br />

[old] Kappy

Post by [old] Kappy » February 6th, 2006, 5:58 pm

I did weight watchers. I had a lot of success with it - then health issues really interfered.<br /><br />I want to go back on it. I have gained back 25 pounds and want to get the weight off. But I am still in the dark about the nature of my health problems. I have issues with low blood pressure, fainting and weakness. Its kind of hard to get my act together to diet.<br /><br />Its very frustrating. But I really would love it if there was a rowing/ww support group right now. Back when I started we had a group that I really miss.<br /><br />Hi, Janice!<br /><br />Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Grace Malacrida?<br /><br />-<br /><br />Oh yeah. If I joined Iron Oarsman - would the team get credit for the meters I've logged this season? Or does it start tallying you for the team when you join?

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » February 6th, 2006, 7:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Kappy+Feb 6 2006, 04:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Kappy @ Feb 6 2006, 04:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I did weight watchers.  I had a lot of success with it - then health issues really interfered.<br /><br />I want to go back on it.  I have gained back 25 pounds and want to get the weight off.  But I am still in the dark about the nature of my health problems.  I have issues with low blood pressure, fainting and weakness.  Its kind of hard to get my act together to diet.<br /><br />Its very frustrating.  But I really would love it if there was a rowing/ww support group right now.  Back when I started we had a group that I really miss.<br /><br />Hi, Janice!<br /><br />Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Grace Malacrida?<br /><br />-<br /><br />Oh yeah.  If I joined Iron Oarsman - would the team get credit for the meters I've logged this season?  Or does it start tallying you for the team when you join? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Drop a message on the Row Pain Row Gain thread. She is there often and a member of our team.<br /><br />Charles<br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » February 6th, 2006, 9:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh yeah. If I joined Iron Oarsman - would the team get credit for the meters I've logged this season? Or does it start tallying you for the team when you join? </td></tr></table><br /><br />All meters from the beginning of the rowing year will be added to the team. Even if you switch teams all the meters will be subtracted form the team you are leaving and added to the team you are joining.<br />

[old] tibanks

Post by [old] tibanks » February 6th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Yes I have been doing WW since the first of January, and starting using the ERG around the same time. I've only lost about 5 lbs, I could have lost more, but I am finding weekends around here quite hard. I am looking to do better this next month, with more rowing and better weekends. I am following Core, as I really like the idea of not having to keep track of points.<br /><br />Tina in OR.

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » February 6th, 2006, 11:58 pm

I just watched something interesting on CNN last night.<br /><br />They were talking about diets and why not to bother anymore!<br /><br />I think being aware of quantities, using common sense A N D becoming a logging indoor rower is the ticket.<br /><br />So all of you out there who are dieting pick a team and start logging away, it keeps you motivated. ALSO remember that MAY 1st it goes all back to Z E R O ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

[old] Kappy

Post by [old] Kappy » February 7th, 2006, 5:49 pm

I went back to counting points today. Sort of a fresh start. I hope I can recapture what made WW work for me the last time - and can discover and conquor what made me fail.<br /><br />I think Xeno is right about it all being about awareness of quantities. (Although I KNEW I was eating way too much when I'm gaining weight. So something other than awareness is an issue for me too.) I like how WW flex-points is sort of set up like a game with points and stuff.<br /><br />Why does the online rowing new year happen in May?