Bp Medication And Heart Rate

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] rowboy87

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] rowboy87 » September 23rd, 2005, 7:10 pm

I take Toporol, it's a beta blocker for high blood pressure. Does this effect my heart rate when I'm working out? I'm concerned if my heart monitor reading reading is accurate. I've asked my doctor and he didn't seem to have a defintive answer. He said "You know when your sweating your burning fat." I'd like to know if I'm in my target zone or not. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rob<br />

[old] NightRower

Post by [old] NightRower » September 24th, 2005, 7:50 am

The toprol will keep your heartrate lower, making it harder for you to reach a maximum heartrate and possibly harder to reach a higher heart rate. My mother-in-law takes that and her heartrate monitor is accurate. The only real complaints that she has it a greater perceived exertion. Your heartrate is "blunted" by the betablocker and can't respond as well to the increased demands that your body is asking for. For that reason it may take you longer to get to the desired heartrate range. <br /><br />But mostly yes, your heartrate monitor will be accurate.<br /><br />Darren

[old] Paul S

Post by [old] Paul S » September 25th, 2005, 5:30 am

I had a heart attack and went thru Cardiac Rehab. At that time they told me to keep my target heart rate 10 - 15 beats below the norm for my age group. This is a policy I still follow. The medication will make it difficult for you to reach the normal target rate for your age group.<br /><br />Paul Salata

[old] bmoore

Post by [old] bmoore » September 30th, 2005, 11:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Paul S+Sep 25 2005, 05:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Paul S @ Sep 25 2005, 05:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had a heart attack and went thru Cardiac Rehab.  At that time they told me to keep my target heart rate 10 - 15 beats below the norm for my age group.  This is a policy I still follow.  The medication will make it difficult for you to reach the normal target rate for your age group.<br /><br />Paul Salata <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I had to double take on this post! PaulS had a heart attack? Oh, wait, it's the "other" Paul S.<br /><br />I hope the rowing keeps you healthy going forward. My grandfathers both had heart attacks at about age 60, but both were in terrible shape (over 300#) and living the "good" life.<br /><br />All the best...