Which Is More Accurate?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] The Dude Abides

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] The Dude Abides » July 31st, 2005, 1:01 am

I notice when i weigh myself in the morning, i'm lighter than i am in the evening. why is this and which is considered to be my real weight?

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 31st, 2005, 2:10 am

Morning weight is most accurate.<br /><br />After that you are eating and drinking all day.<br /><br />Then there is water loss at night, from evaporation.<br /><br />When on a diet, I weigh and record my weight the first thing every morning.

[old] Rob Collings

Post by [old] Rob Collings » August 1st, 2005, 7:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 31 2005, 01:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 31 2005, 01:10 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Morning weight is most accurate.<br /><br />After that you are eating and drinking all day.<br /><br />Then there is water loss at night, from evaporation.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Depends what you mean by "most accurate." Morning weight you are almost always dehydrated. But you have little weight in your stomach and gut. In the evening you are much better hydrated but also food and residue from eating all day. I can get up to about 2+ kg difference between the two.<br /><br />For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Compare like with like - there is no real "most accurate." If you are trying for lwt - don't get fooled by your morning weight as you can easily put on a big chunk between waking up and weighing in. The "most accurate" weight then is the one you weigh in at.<br /><br />Rob.

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » August 1st, 2005, 9:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rob Collings+Aug 1 2005, 06:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rob Collings @ Aug 1 2005, 06:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Depends what you mean by "most accurate." Morning weight you are almost always dehydrated. But you have little weight in your stomach and gut. In the evening you are much better hydrated but also food and residue from eating all day. I can get up to about 2+ kg difference between the two.<br /><br />For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Compare like with like - there is no real "most accurate." If you are trying for lwt - don't get fooled by your morning weight as you can easily put on a big chunk between waking up and weighing in. The "most accurate" weight then is the one you weigh in at.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have to admit this was my thought as well. I like your thinking, but I would go one step further. It doesn't matter which time of day you choose, the important thing is that you consistently weigh yourself at the same time each day (for relative weight loss). That way you're pulling out as much noise out of the equation as possible. Frankly, I don't think the absolute number means anything at all unless you're trying to "make weight."<br /><br />-John