Really Weird Pm3 Behavior - Workout Dates

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jschuman

Product

Post by [old] jschuman » January 16th, 2006, 10:26 am

Ok, this one was really weird and I can't figure it out.<br /><br />My wife and I both use our Model D. On Saturday (the 14th of January) we both rowed - I at around 2:30pm and she at around 4:30pm. We each selected our user on the logcard when rowing.<br /><br />After I rowed I looked at my summary data for the session and everything was fine - i.e., it said that my row was on the 14th.<br /><br />After she rowed I looked at her summary data for her session and it said her row was on the 15th!! <br /><br />I immediately checked the date/time on the PM3 - it was correct! (The time was around 5:00pm on 1/14)<br /><br />Disbelieving what I saw I re-checked everything. Indeed, the PM3 said that MY row was on the 14th and hers was on the 15th and the date/time still listed the correct time on the14th.<br /><br />Weird. Anybody have an answer for this? I'm really confused on this one.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 16th, 2006, 10:57 am

Was the workout that was logged on the wrong day a Variable Interval workout? What version firmware do you have in your PM3?<br /><br />-- Scott<br />

[old] jschuman

Product

Post by [old] jschuman » January 16th, 2006, 1:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2scott+Jan 16 2006, 10:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2scott @ Jan 16 2006, 10:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Was the workout that was logged on the wrong day a Variable Interval workout?  What version firmware do you have in your PM3?<br /><br />-- Scott <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Yes, I'm pretty sure that it was. And also, the workout that was logged correctly was NOT a variable interval workout (it was just a 30 minute row).<br /><br />I am also pretty sure that I am on version 90 of the firmware. I jsut received a replacement PM3 from Concept2 and I remember checking that it was 90 before using it. I can verify all this tonight. Is there a known issue with prior firmware versions?

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 16th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the answers. <br /><br />This seems to be a recently discovered bug in Ver 90 firmware. We are currently working on determining what is causing this behavior, it is certainly not working as intended. <br /><br />The problem seems to be limited to Variable Intervals, and does not happen all the time. Resetting your PM3 (remove and replace one battery, or use the reset hole and a paperclip) may stop this from happening for a while. <br /><br />When we have determined more about this problem and/or a solution, Concept2 will certainly make an announcement either on this thread or on our web site.<br /><br />-- Scott<br />

[old] Porkchop

Product

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 16th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I don't know if this may be related or not, but today I noticed that the date on my Pm3 had advanced by 6 days, resulting in my first piece this morning being logged on January 22. I downloaded ver. 90 some time ago. I have done a couple of variable interval workouts recently ( ## X 500m/3:00 rest).

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 16th, 2006, 5:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Jan 16 2006, 04:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Jan 16 2006, 04:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't know if this may be related or not, but today I noticed that the date on my Pm3 had advanced by 6 days, resulting in my first piece this morning being logged on January 22.  I downloaded ver. 90 some time ago.  I have done a couple of variable interval workouts recently ( ## X 500m/3:00 rest). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, that's a new one on me. Set the date back to proper and please let us know if it happens again. Please feel free to email me directly.<br /><br />-- Scott<br /><br />

[old] Porkchop

Product

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 16th, 2006, 6:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2scott+Jan 16 2006, 04:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2scott @ Jan 16 2006, 04:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Jan 16 2006, 04:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Jan 16 2006, 04:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't know if this may be related or not, but today I noticed that the date on my Pm3 had advanced by 6 days, resulting in my first piece this morning being logged on January 22.  I downloaded ver. 90 some time ago.  I have done a couple of variable interval workouts recently ( ## X 500m/3:00 rest). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, that's a new one on me. Set the date back to proper and please let us know if it happens again. Please feel free to email me directly.<br /><br />-- Scott <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I already did -- but it looked rather odd when I pressed "List by Date" in the logcard menu. I had (in order) rows on 1/16 (my second piece of the day -- a 2k and personal best ), 1/22, and 1/15.<br /><br />I will let you know if there is a recurrence.

[old] Sean Seamus

Product

Post by [old] Sean Seamus » January 26th, 2006, 3:39 pm

well here is my odd story<br />when I first began using my log card in Nov 2004, I noticed one day that the machine at the gym had the date set to Oct 2006, so I reset the date and shrugged.<br />[ NOTE - it is too easy for poken fingen idiots to reset the machine - a password might be a good idea . . .]<br />anyway there was never any problem until January 2006, when the card stopped working. I wrote to Concept 2, they offered version 90 and the current logcard utility, everything worked beautifully, and the Oct 2006 records were put at the "top" of the list, just after the first workout of January 2006. I went on rowing, everything great, but :<br /><br />a couple of days ago I punched the Monthly Totals, and the records are incorrect. There are a few inaccuracies, but for one thing, no records for Jan 2006 show except the one done before the software repair.<br /><br />I do not understand this stuff, but it SEEMS to me that the presence of the October 2006 records is creating a problem.<br /><br />if wanted I could describe the other oddities, but will stop for now.<br /><br />I transfer the records to a hand-written log book from time to time, and really the back data is just for the pleasure of seeing the Totals (1.5 million meters, 125 hours). Perhaps someday I'll figure out a spreadsheet approach.<br /><br />

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 26th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Sean:<br /><br />While we try to do the right things, it is difficult to programtically anticipate every way someone can mess up data and automatically 'fix' it for them. <br /><br />The PM3 list by date workouts in reverse date order (most recent to oldest), I think actually just in the order that they are on the card. <br /><br />The PM3 has discrete slots for the Summary screen for each month displayed. When you change months, it moves them all down.<br /><br />When things are out of order, and jumping around, things get really messy.<br /><br />The LogCard utility puts them back in "order", as the best assumption of what to do with the data. It may know that they are wrong, but cannot guess as to where to really put them.<br /><br />I'll talk with our developers and see if there is anything theoretically wrong with the logic in the PM3 or the LogCard utility in your scenario.<br /><br />If you would like to send me an image of your LogCard, please feel free and I'll take a look.<br /><br />-- Scott

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 26th, 2006, 3:51 pm

jschuman: <br /><br />Here is the issue with recording dates incorrectly. This will soon be posted on Concpet2's web site. These issues are specific to Ver 90 firmware.<br /><br />"Occasionally, Variable interval workouts with no rest time will record the results on your LogCard with the wrong date, specifically tomorrows date. This problem only happens with Variable Intervals with zero rest. Concept2 plans to have a fix in a firmware update available around March or April 2006”.<br /><br /><br />Additionally, the following has been found:<br /><br />The PM3 workout setup screens erroneously allow you to set up a short time workout with a split time that is greater than the workout duration (ie a :20 workout with a 1:00 split). This will result in an “Error 65”. To avoid this error, make sure that the split time is not greater than the overall workout time. Concept2 plans to have a fix in a firmware update available around March or April 2006”.

[old] Sean Seamus

Product

Post by [old] Sean Seamus » January 26th, 2006, 3:59 pm

<br />If you would like to send me an image of your LogCard, please feel free and I'll take a look.<br /><br />-- Scott <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />oh that's ok, I just thought you might like to hear about the problem<br /><br />also, I wanted to get my historical data so as to get my on-line log up-to-date. I began entering workouts just recently.<br /><br />If it it could help you (and all users, eventually) I will send an "image of the Log Card" if you'll tell me how<br /><br />~ Sean

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 26th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Sean:<br /><br />Here's the problem: The PM3 firmware will not take your January workouts and add it to the summary information for January as this is BEFORE oct 2006, which is now being considered the later date. In October, it will start working again.<br /><br />I suggest deleting the Oct workouts, run the LogCard utility, and all will start working again.<br /><br />Sorry 'bout that.<br /><br />-- Scott<br />

[old] grams

Product

Post by [old] grams » January 29th, 2006, 4:47 pm

My PM3 seems to have moved the date ahead one day too. I don't do intervals, however I did download the Fish game and have been playing it. <br /><br />Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to officially rank my new 5000m time...<br /><br />grams

[old] c2scott

Product

Post by [old] c2scott » January 30th, 2006, 11:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-grams+Jan 29 2006, 03:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(grams @ Jan 29 2006, 03:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My PM3 seems to have moved the date ahead one day too. I don't do intervals, however I did download the Fish game and have been playing it. <br /><br />Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to officially rank my new 5000m time...<br /><br />grams <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Grams,<br /><br />Yes, new bug we have just found. Seems like when you update your Pm3 you have some chance of having the firmware go into a time-warp and decide it's now tomorrow. <br /><br />So, after updating please check your PM3's date.<br /><br />--Scott<br />

[old] Porkchop

Product

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 30th, 2006, 1:43 pm

It happened to me again today. 8 X 500m/3:00 rest on Friday, 55:00 steady-state on Saturday, and 60:00 steady-state this morning. This morning's row was recorded as February 2. <br /><br />I'll have to go back and look at Saturday's record to see if the date was right. I only noticed this morning, because I'm pretty sure that it isn't February yet -- is it? Then again, my life is a blur and it could be March already for all I know.