Model Poll

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] kjgress

Product

Post by [old] kjgress » November 13th, 2005, 5:17 pm

I was reading the discussion elsewhere on the forum about which Model rower folks preferred and wondered.......<br /><br />How many of you out there have rowed on an A? I just looked up the parts list and it looks like you can still order Fan Blades (set of 9 for $5) and many other maintenance parts. That's pretty neat that service parts are still available. <br /><br />When I rowed in college we had mostly B's, but if you were late to the boathouse for a winter practice then you would be on an A. <br /><br />I know there are other people out there with memories of the Model A (fond or not so fond).<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] PaulS

Product

Post by [old] PaulS » November 13th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Yep, still have an A, fun to use outside on a nice warm summer day. <br /><br />The part that I would like to get, but is not available is the Speedometer.

[old] kjgress

Product

Post by [old] kjgress » November 13th, 2005, 8:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Nov 13 2005, 06:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Nov 13 2005, 06:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yep, still have an A, fun to use outside on a nice warm summer day.  <br /><br />The part that I would like to get, but is not available is the Speedometer. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Paul: Maybe ask around the forum here; someone may have one or know of one sitting on a shelf in some boathouse!

[old] joanvb

Product

Post by [old] joanvb » November 13th, 2005, 9:04 pm

Karen,<br />Fun topic. Thanks...Yes. I rowed and trained a bit on an A...I think it was prior to the 84 Olympics. Most of our sculling training was on the water, but we did train on the erg, too. <br />I don't know that I still see many/any A's around, but I still see some B's in some health clubs. I'm not interested in going back. If I'm not rowing on the water on a warm sunny day, then I'd still rather be on a D than an A, B, or C. <br />(I'll just row in the shade...it's rarely too warm here to do that.) <br />

[old] dennish

Product

Post by [old] dennish » November 13th, 2005, 10:42 pm

Yes indeed. Been on all them all. Remember sticking a wrench or screwdriver into the A to teach/or be taught the concept of lifting off the seat? Karen, isn't there the remains of an A rusting in the back of the boathouse at the res? Personally trying to suck the last bit out of the Orbea before settling into a "too often" relationship with the C at the club or the D in my garage. dennis

[old] TedCG

Product

Post by [old] TedCG » November 13th, 2005, 11:47 pm

[/quote]<br />How many of you out there have rowed on an A? I just looked up the parts list and it looks like you can still order Fan Blades (set of 9 for $5) and many other maintenance parts. That's pretty neat that service parts are still available. <br /><br />When I rowed in college we had mostly B's, but if you were late to the boathouse for a winter practice then you would be on an A. <br /><br />I know there are other people out there with memories of the Model A (fond or not so fond). <br />[/quote]<br />Somewhat off topic, but one major reason I bought my C2-C was the support for earlier models. The fact that C2 is still supporting model A's tells me that I'll be able to keep Nemesis running untill I quit, which I've scheduled for April, 2305.

[old] brianric

Product

Post by [old] brianric » November 18th, 2005, 6:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-TedCG+Nov 13 2005, 10:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(TedCG @ Nov 13 2005, 10:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The fact that C2 is still supporting model A's tells me that I'll be able to keep Nemesis running untill I quit, which I've scheduled for April, 2305.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I will have been pusing daisys for 280 years by that time.

[old] chudwell

Product

Post by [old] chudwell » November 22nd, 2005, 12:36 am

When we first started the (club) rowing team at my university, one of the other founding members had just gotten out of a 10 yr stint with the USNavy. He had a model A, and used it at home while we were stuck using the B's in the school athletic center. We were jealous that he had his own erg. <br /><br />Remember the two sprocket option? The A -> B improvements were quite significant from a manufacturing and flexibility standpoint. The B had custom fabricated parts, not just parts from catalogs/bikeshops. Since then, I only see incremental improvements in the C and D. They are all great machines. I wish they made other things (vehicles, appliances, etc...), but alas, they make one thing and make it RIGHT.<br /><br />I have a B and a C. I'd buy a good used A just to complete the collection if it wouldn't cause marital stress.<br />

[old] becz

Product

Post by [old] becz » November 22nd, 2005, 3:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dennish+Nov 13 2005, 09:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dennish @ Nov 13 2005, 09:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Personally trying to suck the last bit out of the Orbea ...<br /> </td></tr></table><br />A fellow fan of Basque cycling. I bough an Onix over the summer, and it's simply an amazing ride. I'll bet you have some enjoyable hills in CO.

[old] rogersmith

Product

Post by [old] rogersmith » November 30th, 2005, 11:43 am

For a very short ride. They actually have one for sale at the local play it again sports. $300. I don't know enough to tell how good shape it is in. It has the fins and the two spoket option...........

[old] LBusch

Product

Post by [old] LBusch » December 1st, 2005, 6:11 pm

I have never used anything but a Model A. They had a few machines hidden away in a hard to find room in the gym at Drexel U. when I was ther in the early 80s. I bought my own after I graduated (I just wish I hadn't waitied for 18 years before I started using it regularly.) I have never even seen a new model in person. My machine works great, it is probably a noiser than the newer models, but I don't really know any better. I just wish that I could get a performance monitor instead of using the speedometer and a stop watch. However, if one of you collectors would like to trade me a Model D for my Model A... I could probably be convinced.

[old] PaulS

Product

Post by [old] PaulS » December 1st, 2005, 6:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LBusch+Dec 1 2005, 02:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LBusch @ Dec 1 2005, 02:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have never used anything but a Model A.  They had a few machines hidden away in a hard to find room in the gym at Drexel U. when I was ther in the early 80s.  I bought my own after I graduated (I just wish I hadn't waitied for 18 years before I started using it regularly.)  I have never even seen a new model in person.  My machine works great, it is probably a noiser than the newer models, but I don't really know any better.  I just wish that I could get a performance monitor instead of using the speedometer and a stop watch.  However, if one of you collectors would like to trade me a Model D for my Model A... I could probably be convinced. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You can still get the magnetic ring and Pickup for the Model A, I'm not sure about the availability of a PM for it, but ErgMonitor will work for you with those other parts and a compatible computer.

[old] LBusch

Product

Post by [old] LBusch » December 1st, 2005, 7:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Dec 1 2005, 06:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Dec 1 2005, 06:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-LBusch+Dec 1 2005, 02:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LBusch @ Dec 1 2005, 02:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have never used anything but a Model A.  They had a few machines hidden away in a hard to find room in the gym at Drexel U. when I was ther in the early 80s.  I bought my own after I graduated (I just wish I hadn't waitied for 18 years before I started using it regularly.)  I have never even seen a new model in person.  My machine works great, it is probably a noiser than the newer models, but I don't really know any better.  I just wish that I could get a performance monitor instead of using the speedometer and a stop watch.  However, if one of you collectors would like to trade me a Model D for my Model A... I could probably be convinced. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You can still get the magnetic ring and Pickup for the Model A, I'm not sure about the availability of a PM for it, but ErgMonitor will work for you with those other parts and a compatible computer. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Paul,<br />But I found out yesterday that C2 is now offering a PM3 upgrade for the Model A. I will have my wife give me that for christmas.