Slower On D Than On C

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] alanredmon

Product

Post by [old] alanredmon » December 7th, 2004, 10:44 am

I recently purchased a model D to replace my model C and have found that my 500m pace times are a good 10 to 15 seconds slower on the D than on the C.<br><br>I've tried various drag settings, distances, time of day, everything I can think of. I row at home, so location's not a factor. <br><br>Has anyone run across the same thing? It's a little discouraging to suddenly be slower.<br><br>On the positive side, I love how smooth and quiet the model D is and I also love the larger, more informative display (but I won't mention the minor bugs I ran into with the display software! ).<br><br>Thanks for any help.<br><br>Alan Redmon<br>Greenville, SC, USA<br>

[old] PaulS

Product

Post by [old] PaulS » December 7th, 2004, 12:12 pm

That makes no sense at all, I'd suggest contacting customer support and see what they think. A sensation of a small difference is quite possible due to the difference in the sound of the machine, but no actual difference in workload for a particular pace should exist.

[old] LeonCrewDewd

Product

Post by [old] LeonCrewDewd » December 14th, 2004, 8:25 pm

i think maybe it has something to do with the handle. i know it sounds crazy, but like, i REALLY hate the handle on the C, but when i row on that instead of my D, it's faster... i'm pretty consistant, and the drag's set the same... so i dunno... i think it's ether the handle or the monitor... but i have only noticed a 2-3 split difference.. maybe yours is calibrated incorrectly?

[old] Kudos

Product

Post by [old] Kudos » December 15th, 2004, 12:44 am

I know you probably have done this, but just double checking. Are you setting the drag based on the monitor figure, or just by the fan adjustment? Its really important to go by the monitor setting and not the fan becasue the two cages are completely diffrent. I row my test at a 2-3 fan on most Model C ergs, but the same drag on most D's is 4-5.

[old] LeonCrewDewd

Product

Post by [old] LeonCrewDewd » December 15th, 2004, 9:46 pm

well that would explain it.. i row 4.5-5 on both LOL

[old] LeonCrewDewd

Product

Post by [old] LeonCrewDewd » December 15th, 2004, 9:47 pm

though at that setting, i get consistanst 121's-122's

[old] Kudos

Product

Post by [old] Kudos » December 16th, 2004, 12:01 am

yeah all of the erg are different really, I have been on some c's that are 4-5 on the fan for a 120 drag setting, but that was really the point of my post. Some are so drastically different. I know I spent a week on a new D at like 110 before i figured out how to see the drag on the thing, becasue I just set the fan at 2 like my old C. Whoops!

[old] alanredmon

Product

Post by [old] alanredmon » December 28th, 2004, 12:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered the handle affecting speed -- interesting thought.<br><br>I've tried everything suggested here and C2 sent a replacement monitor, but nothing has changed.<br><br>I'm now working on a couple of theories:<br>-my Model C was inaccurate (too fast)<br>-mechanical issues on the Model D, making it too slow<br><br>Luckily it's not a critical issue.<br><br>Thanks again!<br><br>Alan

[old] John Rupp

Product

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 28th, 2004, 2:45 pm

10 to 15 seconds per 500m does sound rather critical.<br><br>You should be able to click relatively the same times on the D as the C.<br><br>Perhaps there's a glitch in the pulley system.

[old] alanredmon

Product

Post by [old] alanredmon » January 9th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Found it!<br><br>After closely examing the pulley system, I tracked the problem down to the pulley on the dead end connector.<br><br>The nut holding the dead end connector pulley in place was tight enough to create friction on the pulley and prevent it from turning freely.<br><br>Once I loosened the nut my times returned to normal.<br><br>Some type of sleeve might prevent this from happening, but it's easy to fix once it's found.<br><br>Alan Redmon<br>Greenville, SC, USA<br><br>

[old] John Rupp

Product

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 9th, 2005, 10:06 pm

Alan,<br><br>That's great news! <br><br>Is that the connector that's all the way to the front?

[old] alanredmon

Product

Post by [old] alanredmon » January 10th, 2005, 10:17 pm

John,<br><br>The dead end connector joins the chain and the shock cord.<br><br>It moves back and forth during the stroke and recovery, so it's not mounted to the frame.<br>

[old] PaulS

Product

Post by [old] PaulS » January 11th, 2005, 11:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-alanredmon+Jan 10 2005, 06:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (alanredmon @ Jan 10 2005, 06:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It moves back and forth during the stroke and recovery, so it's not mounted to the frame. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> That's the "travelling pulley".

[old] John Rupp

Product

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 11th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Alan,<br><br>I had a feeling that was the one, and loosed the nut the night before.<br><br>One of these days I will get the quiet kit, and check all the pulleys at the same time.<br><br>It must be nice to be going 10-15 seconds faster than you were.

[old] timbo

Product

Post by [old] timbo » January 18th, 2005, 9:42 pm

Is there any danger to slightly loosening this nut (will it continue to loosen over time)?<br><br>-Tim