Seat Comfort

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ricktrue

Product

Post by [old] ricktrue » October 18th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Is there an alternative to the factory D seat which seems just too hard for my skinny rear?

[old] Godfried

Product

Post by [old] Godfried » October 18th, 2004, 5:03 pm

Try the Seat Pad - see <a href='http://www.concept2.com/products/extras/extras.asp' target='_blank'>click</a> - it didn't get me through the FM - but allmost did.

[old] sekitori

Product

Post by [old] sekitori » October 18th, 2004, 8:17 pm

Draw a diagram of the seat including the concave area at the back. Buy a 1 inch thick piece of medium density foam rubber the same size as the seat and have them cut it to that size with the concave area in the rear cut out. When finished, it should look like the C2 pad. I don't know how much if a help it is to have the cut out area in the rear, but since that's the way the pad made by C2 looks, I included it.<br><br>A pad made of foam rubber has more cushioning. I've used one just like this for a long time and it's worked out very well.

[old] TLCoons

Product

Post by [old] TLCoons » October 19th, 2004, 6:51 am

When I was purchasing the C2D, I remember the C2 Customer Service agent remarking that the people in the office who use padding on the seat swear by simple bubble wrap.<br><br>Fortunately, I have found the C2D seat comfortable for my usage -- I'm not doing marathons or anything close, though.<br><br>If I need to, I'll try the bubble-wrap idea.<br><br>happy cheeks!<br>tlc

[old] anomad

Product

Post by [old] anomad » October 30th, 2004, 2:40 pm

I have a new model D and also findthe seat a bit on the firm side. <br><br>On my old Model B I tried everything during the holiday challenges. The extra C2 pad provides some temporary relief, but I rarely used it. Bubble wrap is good, but sweaty as heck and I don't have a warehouse of the stuff laying around.<br><br>My trusty standby for a numb butt is a gym towel. After plugging away for a while if I feel discomfort I fold up the towel and get back at it. Usually after a few more meters I can go back to the regular seat.<br><br>Getting up and walking around for a minute works great too! But some might say that's cheating.

[old] mtnbiker

Product

Post by [old] mtnbiker » October 30th, 2004, 11:07 pm

get one of them cheap yogo pads cut two pieces the same size of the seat and put them together and use them to sit on and they dont slip. flip them over when ever you feel like it, or cut two new pieces every 50 to 100 thousand meters

[old] kt22mike

Product

Post by [old] kt22mike » November 11th, 2004, 7:34 am

Why can't concept2 adopt some of the seat options that are available in the bicycle industry?<br><br>The bike gel seat technology has come a long way over the last couple of years and it would seem that adding this technology as an option would be relatively simple.<br><br>The foam that the company provides is a good start but doesn't quite solve the problem. <br><br>Seem like a pretty simple thing to do and be quite a profitable option to offer.

[old] c2jonw

Product

Post by [old] c2jonw » November 11th, 2004, 8:33 am

Here's an option that we have tried out and had moderate success with: <a href='http://www.skwoosh.com/docs/products/row.php' target='_blank'>http://www.skwoosh.com/docs/products/row.php</a> <br>Erg seat comfort is an ongoing issue for both beginners and more experienced rowers. We've made changes to the seat design over the years with the simple goal of satisfying more people more often, butt we have not found the One Seat that works for everyone. Thus our recommendations of various creative and third-party alternatives which may work great for some and not for others. <br>In the meantime, I'm working on another seat idea that came to me after my recent marathon row................JonW

[old] bgood

Product

Post by [old] bgood » November 11th, 2004, 6:01 pm

The Skwoosh pad is not bad, it could be a little thicker (only 3/8"). AT first I didn't know which direction it went on and you need to tape it down. I almost got a bad case of Rail Rash !!

[old] Byron Drachman

Product

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » November 19th, 2004, 8:40 pm

I got a Therm-a-Rest Sport cushion for $9.97 from campmor.com<br><br><a href='http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=10621715' target='_blank'>http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... br><br>and I have it fastened to the seat with Velcro. It hangs over the back of the seat a little but that doesn’t do any harm. The Velcro holds it nicely in place. Then I use a folded towel on top of the Sport Cushion. It works best for me if I let most of the air out of the air cushion so I’m sitting in the cushion, not on the cushion. I used to have to get off the C2 because I couldn’t take the pain in the rear end. Now I get off simply because I’ve had enough. For me this has completely solved the problem.<br>Byron<br>

[old] mju55

Product

Post by [old] mju55 » November 29th, 2004, 7:20 pm

They have had rowing seats figured out since the beginning of the last century, it seems logical that they would put a rowing style seat on the erg. I understand that not everyone that ergs will fit a rowing shell seat, but the simple concept of putting holes or indents for the sit bones and a cutout for the tailbone would surely help. Rowing seats are made of wood or fiberglass but are still comfortable, so padding is not the answer, the shape of the seat is.<br><br>Mark

[old] johnntv2

Product

Post by [old] johnntv2 » November 30th, 2004, 7:49 pm

I agree with Mark's comment that the seats should be made of wood of some hard material. I have a 'boney' butt and it constantly causes me agony. Lately, I've been putting a thin piece of particle board on the seat and I've noticed a difference. The seat cushion from C2 only made matters worse.

[old] Atorrante

Product

Post by [old] Atorrante » November 30th, 2004, 8:27 pm

I buy fitted bar-stools cushions at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $12. It fitted perfectly in the C2 seat, and let me do the 10K without seat pain. Remove and let it drying after every use. After a year using it, time has come to buy another.

[old] kt22mike

Product

Post by [old] kt22mike » December 1st, 2004, 6:27 pm

I contacted the people that make the Skwoosh product and they are quite interested in working with the Concept 2 team to figure out how to use their TEK cushioning technology to solve the problem.<br><br>The Skwoosh people designed their product for kayak and canoe users and had not considered rowing machines. They seemed pretty interested in the opportunity but had no experience with the concept 2.<br><br>I suggested they call concept 2 and see if they could get a dialog going. <br><br>

[old] ricktrue

Product

Post by [old] ricktrue » December 5th, 2004, 9:23 pm

I got the pad from Concept2 and it's makes it better but not good enough for my rear. I then got the Skwoosh and put that on top of the C2 pad and that makes it better yet....but alas, not good enough. By 20 mins. I'm in agony. Maybe I should just gain wight but C2 ought to be able to come up with some better solution...please !! BUT I LOVE THE MACHINE.