Training Program For Long Beach Sprints And Crashb

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] dougsurf

Training

Post by [old] dougsurf » February 3rd, 2006, 9:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doug,<br /><br />When is your race? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I am approaching the last week of the crash-b plan. Following it to the letter. This Sunday, if this cold I have subsides a bit, I will do the "dress rehearsal" 2k piece, no start/sprint, trying to hold a steady 1:38 or 1:39. My race at 1:37 is a week later on the 12th. Already feeling the adrenaline.<br /><br />- Doug

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » February 3rd, 2006, 9:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dougsurf+Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dougsurf @ Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doug,<br /><br />When is your race? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I am approaching the last week of the crash-b plan. Following it to the letter. This Sunday, if this cold I have subsides a bit, I will do the "dress rehearsal" 2k piece, no start/sprint, trying to hold a steady 1:38 or 1:39. My race at 1:37 is a week later on the 12th. Already feeling the adrenaline.<br /><br />- Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />In my case the adrenaline got me and I moved at the exact projected race pace,<br />so I got out at 1700m to be safe.<br />Hope your cold gets better!<br />

[old] Bore Da!

Training

Post by [old] Bore Da! » February 5th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Xeno,<br /><br />I hope to follow this plan up to the Cornish IRC, but found it late, so can only get 5 weeks worth. I am currently at 6:52, I will let you know what progress I made on it.<br /><br />May I ask, if the Long Beech Sprint hadn't been a feature would the plan look any different? Did the short interval work (1000's, 750's etc, etc) deliberately start with 4 weeks remaining, or is there two weeks for long beech, and two weeks for crash B's?<br /><br />Thanks for making your vast knowledge and experience available to us mortals.<br /><br />Chris, Taff Attack.

[old] dougsurf

Training

Post by [old] dougsurf » February 6th, 2006, 12:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 06:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 06:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-dougsurf+Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dougsurf @ Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doug,<br /><br />When is your race? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I am approaching the last week of the crash-b plan. Following it to the letter. This Sunday, if this cold I have subsides a bit, I will do the "dress rehearsal" 2k piece, no start/sprint, trying to hold a steady 1:38 or 1:39. My race at 1:37 is a week later on the 12th. Already feeling the adrenaline.<br /><br />- Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />In my case the adrenaline got me and I moved at the exact projected race pace,<br />so I got out at 1700m to be safe.<br />Hope your cold gets better! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Well, I WAS following it to the letter. Unfortunately today I was feeling that cold more than any adrenaline. Tried the test piece anyway. Got some interesting Lactate measurements, as mentioned over on that thread. But the piece suffered. Was hoping to hold a marginal 1:39, but felt pretty bad at 1500 and decided to preserve rather than prove something. Could've really used the confidence boost, but no plan covers the unexpected cold. Looking forward to the next few days of TLC that the plan prescribes.<br /><br />- Doug

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » February 6th, 2006, 5:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-dougsurf+Feb 5 2006, 11:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dougsurf @ Feb 5 2006, 11:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unfortunately today I was feeling that cold more than any adrenaline. .<br /><br />- Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />On the UK board/health section is a thread about how massive doses (4g and more) of Vitamin C seems to help colds. All the best for the race.

[old] joanvb

Training

Post by [old] joanvb » February 6th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Hi Xeno,<br /><br />Just want to thank you again for posting your plan. It was a great guide leading up to the Beach Sprints. I've also been working on improving my technique based on your suggestions, and I think it's been beneficial (although I still fall back into bad habits sometimes!) If you can just add in how to avoid getting a cold during the last week before the race and a painless strategy for how to avoid weigh-in panic the day before the race, it will be perfect. Just kidding... Thank you for all your wonderful contributions to this forum! <br /><br />Joan

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » February 6th, 2006, 3:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bore Da!+Feb 5 2006, 02:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bore Da! @ Feb 5 2006, 02:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Xeno,<br /><br />I hope to follow this plan up to the Cornish IRC, but found it late, so can only get 5 weeks worth.  I am currently at 6:52, I will let you know what progress I made on it.<br /><br />May I ask, if the Long Beech Sprint hadn't been a feature would the plan look any different?  Did the short interval work (1000's, 750's etc, etc) deliberately start with 4 weeks remaining, or is there two weeks for long beech, and two weeks for crash B's?<br /><br />Thanks for making your vast knowledge and experience available to us mortals.<br /><br />Chris, Taff Attack. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Chris<br />The program was geared to have a "winter" peak for CRASH B. The Long Beach Sprint was part hitting your personal best at CRASH B.<br />XENO

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » February 6th, 2006, 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dougsurf+Feb 5 2006, 09:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dougsurf @ Feb 5 2006, 09:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 06:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 06:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-dougsurf+Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dougsurf @ Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Feb 3 2006, 03:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doug,<br /><br />When is your race? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I am approaching the last week of the crash-b plan. Following it to the letter. This Sunday, if this cold I have subsides a bit, I will do the "dress rehearsal" 2k piece, no start/sprint, trying to hold a steady 1:38 or 1:39. My race at 1:37 is a week later on the 12th. Already feeling the adrenaline.<br /><br />- Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />In my case the adrenaline got me and I moved at the exact projected race pace,<br />so I got out at 1700m to be safe.<br />Hope your cold gets better! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Well, I WAS following it to the letter. Unfortunately today I was feeling that cold more than any adrenaline. Tried the test piece anyway. Got some interesting Lactate measurements, as mentioned over on that thread. But the piece suffered. Was hoping to hold a marginal 1:39, but felt pretty bad at 1500 and decided to preserve rather than prove something. Could've really used the confidence boost, but no plan covers the unexpected cold. Looking forward to the next few days of TLC that the plan prescribes.<br /><br />- Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Doug,<br />Sorry to hear that you are under the weather.<br />There is a consitent pattern with athletes. When feeling less than 100% the tendency is to pull a piece and find out how fit one still is. It is odd that when being in a downward spiral (health wise)<br />patience tends to lack to let the body recover again before pushing harder. I was guilty of this too in the past. Now I know, if I wake in the morning more tired than usual I know not to push myself too hard.

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » February 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-joanvb+Feb 6 2006, 10:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(joanvb @ Feb 6 2006, 10:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Xeno,<br /><br />Just want to thank you again for posting your plan.  It was a great guide leading up to the Beach Sprints.  I've also been working on improving my technique based on your suggestions, and I think it's been beneficial (although I still fall back into bad habits sometimes!)  If you can just add in how to avoid getting a cold during the last week before the race and a painless strategy for how to avoid weigh-in panic the day before the race, it will be perfect.    Just kidding... Thank you for all your wonderful contributions to this forum! <br /><br />Joan <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Joan<br /><br />Thanks you for your words. <br />A golden rule is to trust that you can't do more in the last ten days to get fitter for a race.<br />Sure, there is some speed work that needs to be done, BUT it is always more important to air on the side of caution by doing less and achieve more eventually. <br />If there is an infection, you end up being on the edge of recovery or crumbling to an illness. Playing it safe and trusting your instict will help you avoid getting totally impaired by an infection. But who am I telling this, Joan! You have been around the Olympic block too. I have footage of all the homeopatic stuff I took during the week of the 2000 games... Was I lucky to walk away with a medal.<br />XENO

[old] Bore Da!

Training

Post by [old] Bore Da! » February 6th, 2006, 4:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Feb 6 2006, 02:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Feb 6 2006, 02:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Chris<br />The program was geared to have a "winter" peak for CRASH B.  The Long Beach Sprint was part hitting your personal best at CRASH B.<br />XENO<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Ok, Thanks Boss.<br />

[old] hepting

Training

Post by [old] hepting » February 6th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Xeno,<br /><br />Question for you - when doing the steady-state pieces how quickly should you be getting to your goal HR? I tend to just go out at a good steady pace and ease to my goal HR after about 5k or so then just watch the HR and tend to have to back off for the remainder of the session (to avoid having my HR go too high)... just not sure if this is the correct approach.<br /><br />Thanks.

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » February 6th, 2006, 6:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hepting+Feb 6 2006, 02:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hepting @ Feb 6 2006, 02:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Xeno,<br /><br />Question for you - when doing the steady-state pieces how quickly should you be getting to your goal HR?  I tend to just go out at a good steady pace and ease to my goal HR after about 5k or so then just watch the HR and tend to have to back off for the remainder of the session (to avoid having my HR go too high)...  just not sure if this is the correct approach.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi<br /><br />Give it time to let the heart rate climb.<br />Your body needs to warm up.<br />Under normal circumstances, when I am starting out cold, it takes me fifteen to 20 minutes. I am not forcing the heart rate to hit the target, "it just happens".<br />How did you figure out your target heart rate?<br />XENO

[old] hepting

Training

Post by [old] hepting » February 6th, 2006, 7:11 pm

<br />How did you figure out your target heart rate?<br />XENO<br /><br />Thanks for the reply, sounds like I am consistent with your intent. Something I have been curious about for a while - good to know.<br /><br /><br />I used your formula - I am 38 yr old 6' 1", 185lbs, Max HR is about 185-190... it was 193 last year, but for whatever reason I have yet to see anything above 185 this year, not really sure why, maybe just getting older but that big drop has surprised me. Resting is about 48.<br /><br />I seem to be able to row a long time at 160 10k-15k, without too much trouble..<br /><br />current times: 500 - 1:32, 1k - 3:19, 2k - 7:00, 5k - 18:42

[old] adambalogh

Training

Post by [old] adambalogh » February 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Xeno<br /><br />Thank you for posting this taper. i followed it to the letter the last 2 weeks pre CRASH-B and felt great at the race.<br /><br />i wonder if you would provide some example workouts for the rest of the season.<br />i am interested in developing a great aerobic base.<br /><br />thanks<br />Adam