Training Program For Long Beach Sprints And Crashb

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » December 30th, 2005, 8:22 pm

Training Program 2K sprint CRASH B LONG BEACH, CRASH B BOSTON on Feb 4th & 25th (XENO MULLER)<br /><br />A quick note about this program: <br /><br />Some people may only row 20-30 minutes as a regular workout. This program can be adjusted to any level rower. As it is written, this training schedule is best suited for people who train 60 minutes-plus on the ergo a few times during the week. If a rower’s total mileage is less then this program suggests, focus on the boldly written days which focus specifically on race preparation. IF you are at the Olympic level, the first workouts are roughly 20 minutes longer and it is normal to put in a second compensatory workout. For the second practice, the target heart rate stays the same, yet the total time is roughly 15 to 25 minutes shorter. In this program I refer to target heart rate. This is the heart rate at which lactate levels are at 2mmol/l or below. If you do not have access to a lactate pro device, and want to figure out your ball park target heart rate you can use the Karvonnen Formula: (MAX heart rate- REST heart Rate)X80%+ REST heart rate= Aerobic Target Heart Rate. Example (185-40)X80% +40= 156<br />And finally, listen to your body. A training program is not set in stone. If you feel tired, reduce training volume, don’t necessarily scratch the workout. If you need to pick a workout, stick to steady state rather than a short hard workout. Don’t forget to have fun. You choose to row, it must make you feel good.<br /><br />If you have any questions you can email me or call me: muller2000@sbcglobal.net; 949-400-7630<br /><br />Sat 31<br />Steady State workout 80’. Break down the distance by rowing 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Let the stroke rate range from 18-22. Break down the stroke every eight minutes, for variation and relaxation of the muscles. Give yourself a short break after each stretch. Drink electrolytes with a mild concentration of carbohydrates. <br /><b><br />Sun 1 <br />3X7 20-22.-24, 22.-24-26, 24-26-28-30, 4'2'1', 3.'2'2', 3'2'1'.1. This effort is 100%</b><br /><br />Mon 2 <br />80’ steady state. Stroke rate varies between 18-21. Break down the distance into 4X20 or 5X15 (rough). You can change stroke rates for 2’ until 8 minutes, then 2’ technique, and the remaining 5 minutes alternating stroke rates. The goal is to put in distance without getting bored. Stay within your heart rate range.<br /><br />Tue 3<br />60’ steady state. Similar to Monday’s. <br /><br /><b>Wed<br />4X 5' at 15 second on and 15 seconds off. Take 5' rest between. Make sure you warm up for ten minutes focusing on the stroke structure. Cool down for at least ten minutes. Total time rowed 60’+</b><br /><br />Thur 5 <br />OFF<br /><br />Fri 6 <br />80’ steady state breaking down the time with stroke rate variation not exceeding 22. Take short breaks every 12 to 18 minutes, enough for a drink quick reflection why you are training and back on track.<br /><b><br />Sat 7 <br />3X7 20-22.-24, 22.-24-26, 22-24-26-28, 4'2'1', 3.'2'2', 3'2'1'.1. This effort is 100%.</b><br /><br />Sun 8 <br />75’ Steady state. Break it down 5X15’, short breaks between. Make sure you have electrolytes in your drink.<br /><br />Mon 9<br />80’ Steady State similar to the others and like the others make sure that you keep an eye on not pushing the heart rate beyond the aerobic target.<br /><br />Tue 10<br />60’ 3X20 minutes steady state. Look at your total meters rowed for each 20’ holding it at your right aerobic heart rate. Use these steady state rows to find your aerobic cruising speed. Over time you will notice an increase in power at the same heart rate. At that point a new lactate test will come in handy to make sure that we are still pushing hard enough.<br /><br />Wed 11 OFF<br /><br />Thur 12<br />80’ Steady State, it is your choice how you want to break up the time rowed. Keeping the quality of the row high by working closely to your optimum aerobic heart rate. Be consistent with your power application. Listen to the flywheel. Make it sound up throughout the acceleration of your stroke, catch to finish.<br /><br /><b>Fri 13 <br />3X7 20-22.-24, 22.-24-26, 22-24-26-28, 4'2'1', 3.'2'2', 3'2'1'.1.</b><br /><br />Sat 14<br />60’ Steady state. At times your heart rate may not climb so fast to target and it requires around 20 to 30 minutes for it to get there. This is normal. If on a certain day you workout and your heart rate is on target, but you are not pushing the usual power, you should consider rowing less long and trust your heart rate. Often athletes get influenced by the digital display and lose focus of their heart rate. Literally,<b> LISTEN AND FOLLOW YOUR HEART, </b>always and especially the closer you get to a championship. <br /><br />Sun 15 <br />OFF<br /><br />Mon 16<br />80’ Steady State<br /><br />Tue 17<br />75’ Steady State<br /><br />Wed 18<br />70’ Steady State<br /><b><br />Thur 19 <br />2 or 3 X 19' 4-3-2-1-2-3-4 minutes changing stroke rates at 18-20-22-24-22-20-18, you can change the resistance on the flywheel for training your acceleration. These 19 minute pieces are a bit tougher at 22 and 24.</b><br /><br />Fri 20 <br />OFF<br /><br />Sat 21<br />Steady State 80’ break it down to twenty minutes at a time with a short break to drink. Within the 20’ pieces break down the distance by completing technical drills ever 7 to 9 minutes. At no point shall you feel that it is taking for ever.<br /><br /><b><br />Sun 22 <br />Steady state 70’ <br />5X5’ 15”ON and 15”OFF stroke rate range of 28-36.</b><br /><br />Mon 23<br />Steady State 70’<br /><br />Tue 24<br />OFF<br /><br />Wed 25<br />Steady State 80’<br /><br />Thur 26<br />Steady State 70’<br /><br /><b>Fri 27 <br />Allow time to warm up, at least 20 minutes.<br />1x1000m 1X750m & 1X250m MAX ten minutes of rest or at least 100% of the time the pieces take. Race pace<br />Take plenty of time to cool down 30 minutes<br /></b><br />Sat 28<br />80’ steady state. Stay at or below your target heart rate.<br /><br />Sun 29<br />OFF<br /><br />Mon 30<br />OFF<br /><b><br />Tue 31 <br />Paddle at least 45-60’ Plenty of warm up same as for racing, include plenty of cool down, very important.<br />First 1000 meters race pace includes start. </b><br /><br />Wed 1<br />Paddle 45-60’<br /><br /><b><br />Thur 2 <br />Paddle at least 45-60 minutes<br />2X500m race pace no sprint no start. </b><br /><br /><b><br />Fri 3<br />Gentle paddle, take your time to fully warm up and cool down plenty after the 750m piece. The piece is a body piece, no start no sprint.<br />1X 750 meters</b><br /><br /><br /><b>Sat 4 Long Beach Sprint 2K Prep 2K if you do not compete at this regatta. It is your choice whether you want to row 1500 straight, or push 1X1000m and a 750M. The goal is to figure out your race pace.</b><br /><br />Sun 5 <br />OFF <br /><br />Mon 6 <br />80’ steady state. Listen to your body. Push at the target heart rate, it is OK to be lower, but DO NOT go over.<br /><br /><b>Tue 7 <br />60’ row steady state. Put the 750 in the middle of the workout. Row it off at the aerobic level target heart rate.<br />1X750m race pace no start no sprint.</b><br /><br />Wed 8<br />80’ steady state. Technical points to remember: Think about keeping the shoulders loose. Keep your arms straight during the leg drive. Hold the handle in the finger tips.<br /><br />Thur 9 <br />OFF<br /><br />Fri 10<br />75’ steady state.<br /><b><br />Sat 11 <br />4X 250meters MAX sprint stroke rate KEEP PROPER TECHNIQUE, ten minutes rest in between at close to steady state, no higher.<br /></b><br />Sun 12<br />80’ Steady state, aerobic target heart rate.<br /><br />Mon 13<br />OFF<br /><br /><br /><b>Tue 14 <br />Total time rowed for this: 60 minutes minimum. Regular Race warm up. Regular race cool down.<br />2X500meters. One is for start, the other for final 500 with sprint in the last 300 meters.<br /></b><br />Wed 15<br />75’ Steady state, aerobic target heart rate.<br /><br /><br />Thur 16 <br /><b>Total time rowed maximum 70’ <br />3X5' at 15 second on and 15 seconds off. Take 5' rest between. Make sure you warm up for 10-20 minutes focusing on the stroke structure. Cool down for at least 10-20’.</b><br /><br />Fri 17 <br />OFF<br /><br /><b>Sat 18 <br />60’ Steady state row. Listen to your body. Don't overdue it.</b><br /><br />Sun 19 <br />Straight through 2K race pace, no start no sprint, this is very important, the goal is NOT to pursue a personal best, but to have a solid average. 5 to 8 seconds slower than a full on 2k<br /><br />Mon 20<br />Paddle 45’-60’<br /><br /><br />Tue 21 <br />Paddle 45’-60’<br /><br /><b>Wed 22</b> <br /><b>Paddle 45’60’<br />At least 20 minutes warm up same as for a race, starts included (first stroke, first two strokes, first three, and first four, then a start and 15-20, plenty of down time before the race piece). 1 X 1000 m. Solid cool down until completely recovered</b><br /><br />Thur 23 <br />Steady State Paddle follow your heart. Break a sweat. Take a 4 to 5 12-18 strokes at race pace. Plenty of steady rowing/paddling time in between. <br /><br />Fri 24 Twenty minute warm up, 750m just race pace no sprint, 15’ to 20’ cool down.<br /><b><br />Sat 25 CRASH B 2K</b><br />Sun 26<br />

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » December 31st, 2005, 4:54 am

Thanks. this is really interesting.

[old] joanvb

Training

Post by [old] joanvb » December 31st, 2005, 5:22 pm

Thanks, Xeno. This is a great guide. It will be particularly helpful for those who haven't entered an erg race before. (The Beach Sprints will be my younger sister's first...if she follows through... )<br /><br />For those interested, links to the Long Beach 2K race ("Beach Sprints"): <br /><br />Entry form: <a href='http://www.longbeachrowing.org/events/B ... 6_Word.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.longbeachrowing.org/events/B ... pdf</a><br /><br />Event information: <a href='http://www.longbeachrowing.org/events/B ... 6_Word.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.longbeachrowing.org/events/B ... pdf</a><br /><br />Joan

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 31st, 2005, 5:34 pm

How long are the races at the Long Beach Sprints.<br /><br />Are they 10 k's or half marathons or what. <br /><br />Maybe because it says "sprints" this means they are just 5 k's, is this it.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 31st, 2005, 5:37 pm

50+ men is race 8 out of 25.<br /><br />Is there a time schedule?<br /><br />What kind of temperature is there in the rowing venue.<br /><br />Thanks.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 31st, 2005, 5:55 pm

On February 4th, Long Beach has an average high of 68 degrees and a low of 47.<br /><br />That's not too bad, depending on the location of the site.<br /><br />

[old] joanvb

Training

Post by [old] joanvb » December 31st, 2005, 6:23 pm

Thanks for the inquiries about the event.<br /><br />The races are all 2K. It's not a giant event. There are around 300 competitors in juniors, collegiate, open, masters, and veterans' events, spread throughout most of the day. The time schedule is not available, yet, but the veterans and masters races are usually held mid-morning. <br /><br />The venue is in the newer addition to the Long Beach boathouse. The race is held in the spacious erg/weight room, which has big windows looking out at the rowing course (site of the '32 Olympics). The water is just a few steps (albeit, rocky steps) away. Inside, the competitors race with their backs to the water and face the cheering spectators.<br /><br />The temperature is generally pleasant...If it's too hot (hasn't happened, yet), there are large doors to open to the sea breeze.<br /><br />Joan

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 31st, 2005, 7:00 pm

Joan,<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback.

[old] dingrr

Training

Post by [old] dingrr » January 2nd, 2006, 10:46 pm

Thank you Xeno! I was just going to post a question for a training plan for the 2K race. I think I'll try my first in Feb at the 2nd Annual Crewsader Erg Challenge in Buffalo, NY.

[old] Chris-lbc

Training

Post by [old] Chris-lbc » January 3rd, 2006, 1:42 pm

Xeno, using your target heart I should be training at 181 that seems a bit high should I train this high. What sort of margin either side of this can I have.

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » January 3rd, 2006, 4:11 pm

Hi,<br /><br />was wonder what sort of pace change you are looking for with each rate change, do you tie rate to pace or watts or distance per stroke etc<br /><br />tks

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » January 3rd, 2006, 9:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Chris-lbc+Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Chris-lbc @ Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Xeno, using your target heart I should be training at 181 that seems a bit high should I train this high. What sort of margin either side of this can I have. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />What numbers are you using?

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » January 3rd, 2006, 9:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-george nz+Jan 3 2006, 01:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(george nz @ Jan 3 2006, 01:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,<br /><br />was wonder what sort of pace change you are looking for with each rate change, do you tie rate to pace or watts or distance per stroke etc<br /><br />tks <br /> </td></tr></table><br />When the stroke rate goes up you are supposed to get a faster 500 meter split time. I don't worry about watts.<br />XENO

[old] Chris-lbc

Training

Post by [old] Chris-lbc » January 4th, 2006, 5:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jan 4 2006, 02:34 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jan 4 2006, 02:34 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Chris-lbc+Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Chris-lbc @ Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Xeno, using your target heart I should be training at 181 that seems a bit high should I train this high. What sort of margin either side of this can I have. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />What numbers are you using? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />maximum heart rate of 210, not sure how accurate this is it's just the highest I got to in my half hour yesterday and a resting heart rate of 65.

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » January 4th, 2006, 11:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Chris-lbc+Jan 4 2006, 02:51 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Chris-lbc @ Jan 4 2006, 02:51 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jan 4 2006, 02:34 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jan 4 2006, 02:34 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Chris-lbc+Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Chris-lbc @ Jan 3 2006, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Xeno, using your target heart I should be training at 181 that seems a bit high should I train this high. What sort of margin either side of this can I have. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />What numbers are you using? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />maximum heart rate of 210, not sure how accurate this is it's just the highest I got to in my half hour yesterday and a resting heart rate of 65. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Chris,<br />How old are you?<br />How much do you weigh?<br />I know of lightweight athletes who have their target heart rate in the 160ies. Where do you live? A lactate test is simple. For any person who works out the 2mmol aerobic threshold is of importance. By knowing this threshold a person can then choose what type of training they want to do. Aerobic far outweighs the anaerobic training time, when the goal is to train the body to become more oxygene efficient. <br />I look forward to your answers.<br />XENO