Training With Heart Rate

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] RobertS

Training

Post by [old] RobertS » January 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Thanks agin for the advice LJ and I will take it easy. I'll stick with what I'm doing now, but not push too hard.<br /><br />I certainly feel much better afterwards than I used to when I started, my recovery from the 10k is pretty good now I think. It's just doing it that's tough! Also, when I say 'pain' I don't mean as in sharp pain or aching afterwards, just that it's not easy and that I have to make myself 'push' to keep the rate @ 2.05 - 2.08/500.<br /><br />I feel fine now after 30 secs to 2 mins or so of rest after the 10k and the same for the elliptical so I think it's ok. As I say the program on the elliptical is very stepped so maybe I'm working hard for some bits but then back to easy for others.<br /><br />I'm mainly concentrating on putting the time in on the exercises, getting the technique right (I'm pretty sure it is) and not going crazy with sprints etc.<br /><br />When I started putting the elliptical after the erg it was quite tiring at first, but seems ok now. I never 'push' hard on the elliptical, just do my time/calories - so it's not that demanding.<br /><br />I admit it is a lot from nothing, but I find myself feeling better each day because of the exercise rather than recovering from it. I look forward to my evening erg, well mostly <br /><br />Rob

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » January 30th, 2006, 2:50 pm

That's good too hear. Although if you feel recovered THAT fast, sounds like you are getting lazy ! <br /><br />Really, keep an eye to perceived effort, and do keep a log of your exercise.<br /><br />Regarding Blood Type Diet, I just came across an even better review labeling it a scam. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.vegsource.com/articles/blood_hype.htm' target='_blank'>Other Homeopathic Doctors Think Blood Type Diet a Scam</a>

[old] RobertS

Training

Post by [old] RobertS » January 30th, 2006, 3:23 pm

<br /><br />When I say 'recovered' I don't mean - 'hmm, did I exercise today?' <br /><br />Just that I'm not exhaused/shattered any more and after a couple of mins I can happily exercise again, albeit at a slower more relaxed pace - not another 10K though!<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Rob

[old] Sean Seamus

Training

Post by [old] Sean Seamus » February 7th, 2006, 1:45 am

I am 53, sort of moderately good shape, (NOT a trained athelete) and started rowing 15 months ago. I found the Training Manual from Concept2 UK, and worked toward 2,000 meter races as a focus to get me going. Also I teach basic fitness to older adults, and have some understanding of the importance of heart rate.<br /><br />I always walked a lot, and then Lots & Lots after quitting smoking & drinking about a decade ago. Walking did me lots of good, but only rarely took my heart up high. The C2 Training Plan bases a lot of the work around HR, so I got a monitor, and use it ALL the time, unless I am doing very easy work with my eyes closed.<br /><br />The MAIN thing I found with rowing is that I can very easily take my HR very very high, and for long periods of time, and this is a dangerous habit. Holding back to fit the training bands takes discipline, but the focus then for me shifts to technique. <br /><br />I am also very particular about warming up and cooling down, and here again the HR monitor is a god-send, as the intensity often feels ridiculously low, and yet 120 bpm is NOT nothing.<br /><br />Of course when I race, it is all out, and wonderful - once it is over !

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » February 12th, 2006, 3:16 am

Sean:<br /><br />I am 4 weeks since cardiac bypass surgery. Little by little doing more walking. 1.3 miles today at the park, with some sitting rests along the way. Took about an hour. Possibly too much ? I did take a short nap afterwards, but then felt fine. Fine being a relative term to 4 weeks since getting my chest cracked open.<br /><br />

[old] aledieps

Training

Post by [old] aledieps » February 12th, 2006, 2:25 pm

I have a similar problem. I bought the PM3 heart rate receiver and a polar chest belt a couple weeks ago because i was curious about my heart rate and training at different intensities. It turns out that the longer I go at an easy pace (2k +20) the more my rate increases. At times it has even reached my max heart rate (201 bpm) I have no idea what is going on here, I feel fine when I'm doing these pieces. They're not hard at all.

[old] BobD

Training

Post by [old] BobD » February 12th, 2006, 3:11 pm

<!--quoteo(post=55685:date=Feb 12 2006, 01:25 PM:name=aledieps)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aledieps @ Feb 12 2006, 01:25 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I have a similar problem. I bought the PM3 heart rate receiver and a polar chest belt a couple weeks ago because i was curious about my heart rate and training at different intensities. It turns out that the longer I go at an easy pace (2k +20) the more my rate increases. At times it has even reached my max heart rate (201 bpm) I have no idea what is going on here, I feel fine when I'm doing these pieces. They're not hard at all.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Increasing to 201 DURING easy exercise may be a sign of a cardiac problem. I would advise you to see a Cardiologist and get this looked at with a load EKG.<br /><br />I really watch my heart rate as I've had tachycardia <b>after</b> exercise, during cooldown it jumped from 151 to 223 (and the run felt fine). My Cardiologist confirmed this. I am 66 and I have learned not to push myself and stay in the calculated HR range. I now do not exceed around 149. Two weeks ago I did an all out run. At the end my HR suddenly jumped from 151 to 157 to 202 in a matter of seconds!! My advice is pay attention if you don't want to become a statistic.

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » February 14th, 2006, 9:59 pm

I had two stress echocardiograms, one in January 2002, one in March 2005. Neither indicated anything about my coronary arteries.<br /><br />My angiogram in January 2006 showed the two main arteries 99% blocked, the 3rd 80% in many sites. I was living on a) borrowed time, and 8) amazing secondary circulation developed over decades of exercise.<br /><br />What does 2K +20 mean, 2000 meters in 20 minutes ? <br /><br />I have been in various stages of recovery from two mitral valve problems the last three years. That's why I had the two tests, for breathing problems during exercise that came on from no where. In December 2005 prior to going on vacation, then coming home for the angiogram and triple bypass, my last workout was three 2K's in about 10:30 each, adding in the warmup and cooldown, I rowed about 45-50 minutes total. My HR stayed in the 140's most of the time. I briefly pushed it up to 150's, then 160's each time, then slowed again. My breathing was comfortable the entire workout.<br /><br /> If I maintained the same pace for a long time, my rate climbs gradually, too, so I usually back off slowly and keep my heart rate more constant. Of course, with three new clear arteries (from my leg), this should improve once I get in condition again. I did a relaxed (no pain, little effort) 1000 m Saturday in 6:34. My pulse went up to 127.<br /><br />The high heart rate is cause for some concern, but it could just mean you do not have such great cardiac conditioning. No chest pain, and no surprises of hard breathing with even minor chest pain, are good. Those were my two indicators that something was wrong.<br /><br />Take more months at lower HR. See if the work output slowly improves with the same HR.<br /><br />

[old] Sean Seamus

Training

Post by [old] Sean Seamus » February 14th, 2006, 11:39 pm

hello ljwagner<br /><br />2k +20 (PROBABLY) means 2,000 meters rowed at 20 strokes per minute, 20 or maybe a touch higher as opposed to lower, so 20 - 22 -ish<br /><br />which would indicate a relatively lesser intensity as opposed to an all-out race effort conducted at 30 - 32 - 34 spm (strokes per minute)<br /><br />I am not a cardiologist nor a doctor. I have read some articles. The reason the heart rate increases over time while the Work Output / Effort stays steady is complex, but expressed simply:<br /><br />1 - there are quick temporary adaptations the heart can make to pumping more blood, but after a while it moves to pumping faster in order to supply the needed volume<br /><br />2 - the overall system has a degree of "fuel / energy / go-power" in hand and on-site, but after a while that is used up, and needs to be replaced. Sort of like cash in your wallet - imagine you always carried a few extra 50's tucked in the back, and so when spending rates temporarily increased, you could handle it for a while before going to the bank to get more.<br /><br />The phenomenon is often called "drift".<br /><br />I learned a great deal from the Concept2 UK site's Training Manual, free download, especially the chapter on Physiology.<br /><br />~ Sean

[old] RowtheRockies

Training

Post by [old] RowtheRockies » February 15th, 2006, 1:40 am

I believe that 2K +20 refers to 2K pace plus 20 seconds. Ex. If 2K pace was 1:40 (I wish) then 2K + 20 = 2:00 per 500M<br /><br />

[old] Sean Seamus

Training

Post by [old] Sean Seamus » February 15th, 2006, 5:55 pm

that (2 k pace + 20 seconds) makes good sense <br /><br />the shortenizations of any craft become bewildering to outsiders, or even out-of-towners<br />