Extra Training

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] morerow09

Training

Post by [old] morerow09 » January 31st, 2006, 6:20 pm

[FONT=Arial] I'm currently rowing for my college freshman crew, but I'm at the bottom of the list erg score-wise. I'm looking for a workout I can add on to my current workout to improve my 2k score quickly. I'm 6'1", 155, and I have two 2k races, one on Feb 18th, and another on Feb 25th. My workouts are in the evening, what can I do in the mornings to improve?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />morerow09

[old] razorfizh

Training

Post by [old] razorfizh » January 31st, 2006, 7:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-morerow09+Jan 31 2006, 03:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(morerow09 @ Jan 31 2006, 03:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[FONT=Arial] I'm currently rowing for my college freshman crew, but I'm at the bottom of the list erg score-wise.  I'm looking for a workout I can add on to my current workout to improve my 2k score quickly.  I'm 6'1", 155, and I have two 2k races, one on Feb 18th, and another on Feb 25th.  My workouts are in the evening, what can I do in the mornings to improve?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />morerow09 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Try looking at this for ideas:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/</a><br /><br />Cheers!

[old] jjpisano

Training

Post by [old] jjpisano » January 31st, 2006, 8:21 pm

Do long slow distance at your ideal 2k SPI.<br /><br />Figure out what a doable 2k is for you. For example, say 7:00. Figure out the watts. 7:00 translates to 304 watts. Figure out what stroke rate you prefer racing at. For example, say 32. Your ideal 2k SPI is 304/32 which equals 9.5. <br /><br />Then do distance work in the range of 60% to 80% of 304 w - i.e. 182w to 243w with stroke rate varying in proportion to the watts you're working at. When your doing 182w, do it at 182/9.5 spm, i.e 19 spm. When you'e doing 243w, do it at 243/9.5 spm, i.e. 26 spm.<br /><br />Generally I suggest the 60% work should be done as continous long work. Generally I suggest the 80% work should be done as long intervals.<br /><br />About 80% of the energy expended in a 2k is generated by the aerobic system. So concentrating on improving your aerobic ability will give you bigger bang for your buck in initial improvements. Of course in the end the best 2k's come from improving all aspects of your energy generating systems .<br /><br />Just my opinion on what I would do if I were in your shoes.<br /><br />Jim Pisano<br /><br />

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » January 31st, 2006, 9:58 pm

Before you add any extra workouts, I suggest you talk to your coach to find out if he/she thinks you should. I'm hoping of course, the coach knows what he's doing and is able to correctly assess the need/benefit of additional workouts. He should also know what area you need to work on the most. A good coach realizes there is no such thing as one training plan works best for everyone and is willing and able to make adjustments for individuals while keeping team continuity together. The worst thing you can do is not tell the coach and end up doing too much and negatively affect your performance and consequently hurt the team.