Good Training Program?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] RobertS

Training

Post by [old] RobertS » January 18th, 2006, 9:48 am

Hi Guys,<br /><br />I have just started to get back into shape again after 7 years or so of very little sport. I used to row a bit a school and used the erg at the gym at Uni for about a year. I find it a very satisfying machine to use.<br /><br />I am 28, roughly 13.5 stone (haven't weighed for a couple of months, need to get some scales) and 6ft.<br /><br />My goals are:<br /><br />1. Lose weight<br /><br />2. Get fit<br /><br />3. Build a bit of muscle and get 'toned'. (I know some hate this expression but you know what I mean...)<br /><br />4. Maintain all of the above <br /><br />I started off in Dec last year by going to the gym (at work) for a couple of days a week, sometimes even less and doing about an hour (erg, elliptical and running). This year, having visited this site and determined to get things properly on track I have started doing 10,000m rows 6 days a week. I start with 6 mins on the elliptical trainer (low setting), then stretch, then the 10K. Recently I have been following this with 30 mins on the elliptical on program 6 (out of 12).<br /><br />My times for the 10K have gone from 45.30 (week and a half ago) to 42.22 (yesterday) at a pace of 2.07. This is pushing pretty hard for me, I certainly could not hold a conversation, even watch TV at times – just watch the numbers! I'm usually feeling 'the strain' with 6K still remaining but am able to maintain the pace finishing the last 500m @ around 2.05. EDIT: drag setting @ 5.<br /><br />I found my lower back ached a bit at first, but seems to be fine now. I'm pretty sure my technique's good form checking all the info here.<br /><br />Recently I finish the workout with a 30 min elliptical. Though I notice my heart rate for this is often only around 80 (but I'm fairly exhausted after the row), is this worthwhile?<br /><br />Calories burnt: Row:620, Elliptical: 420 - according to the machines...<br /><br /><br />Diet wise I have breakfast (scrambled eggs on toast or toast and peanut butter), no lunch, but eating fruit through out the day (5 portions, mostly bananas - it's free at work!). Sensible dinner at 6.30 then hit the gym at 7.30-8ish. I drink a lot of water throughout the day.<br /><br /><br />Is this a good/safe work out regime?<br /><br /><br />Thanks in advance for the help, any advice very much appreciated.<br /><br />Rob<br /><br />(posted this in both ‘Training’ and ‘Weight loss’ as I’m looking for help with both)

[old] Ray79

Training

Post by [old] Ray79 » January 18th, 2006, 10:04 am

For a training plan for the erg, there is the <a href='http://www.machars.net/peteplan.htm' target='_blank'>Pete Plan</a> which is fairly intensive and hard work but it will get results as Im sure some of the members of this forum would agree. It was devised by Pete Marston on the UK forum by, i believe, using the Wolverine plan that can be found on this forum and simplifying it. There are no prescribed stroke rates etc for this plan and the pace notes (2k + 13 etc) refer to your 2km pace. So if your 2km pace is 1:50 then 2k + 10 would be 2:00/500m. <br /><br />Also just to be safe, check your technique [url+http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/technique.php]here[/url], injuries, especially back injuries are serious and could keep you away from the rower for a long time (or worse put you off it altogether)<br /><br />Hope this helps.

[old] PaulH

Training

Post by [old] PaulH » January 18th, 2006, 10:06 am

Posting to both places is not necessary - almost everyone will see your post anyway, and posting to both just divides the useful knowledge that might be provided. So I've deleted the other posting. Good luck in getting useful responses - you've certainly come to the right place!<br /><br />Cheers, Paul

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » January 18th, 2006, 4:05 pm

RS<br />To reach your four objectives, you need to do two things, and from what you say it looks like you're doing them already:<br /><br />1 Eat only when you're hungry, and then not much, but well.<br />2 Plenty of long slow work - say 60-90' a day on the erg or the equivalent walking, climbing stairs, riding a bike or whatever you like best. Avoid cars, desks, elevators like the plague - that's what they are.<br />If you drink at all, laying off it will be of great help too.<br /><br />I think exercise is best thought of as a part of our normal life (it's idleness that's crazy), not something special that has to be done in special ways and special places. Forget the plans, you don't gave to go from one extreme to the other. They are far too hard on the tendons, back etc for someone who's done nothing for seven years. We don't have to be masochists to get fit - indeed given the risk of injury a masochist might get more than he wants. See the disclaimer below. In any case the "plans" are of use only if you have already done endurance work for a year or so and then want to race. In the meantime, "keep going" is plan enough, and maybe for the rest of your life too.

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » January 18th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Overall, for starting out, I think what you are doing is fine. If you want to lose weight, the more calories you burn the better to me, so I would keep doing the elipitical work for now. I think medium to hard 10k's are great for starting out. I would keep that up until you are down in the sub 41 range, then maybe start looking to push up to an hour, or doing shorter pieces (with longer warmups and warmdowns) at faster paces even. If racing on the C2 is not a big priority, then I wouldn't bother with an intense training plan like the Pete Plan or the Wolverine plan at this stage.<br /><br />For the 10k's, and for all your long rowing, make sure your stroke rate is not too high. For your paces, I would say SR=23 for a 2:10 pace, and SR=24 for a 2:05 pace. You should also do them strapless (no straps on the feet).<br /><br />At 6 ft, 189lbs, you don't seem that overweight. But I found that counting my calories really helped focus me on what I ate and kept me on track of a diet. So for a few months you may want to try that.<br /><br />Other people here may say to gain "tone" you really need to lift weights, since "tone" is just seeing bigger muscles under less fat. While that is true I do believe that rowing does build some muscle mass (but not like lifting).<br /><br />good luck.

[old] RobertS

Training

Post by [old] RobertS » January 19th, 2006, 9:20 am

Thanks for all the help.<br /><br />I think I'll continue with my workout as is for the time being (another month maybe) and then look at possibly splitting some of the 10K rows into sessions of 2 hard 2ks and then a moderate 6k. I used to do 2Ks last year, but haven't since starting on the 10s.<br /><br />The Pete plan does look good, but might move to it a later date once I'm fitter and my times are down to around 41 or under for the 10k. As mentioned above though I may start introducing some varying intensities and lengths to my workout.<br /><br />I will also work at getting my stroke rate down. Currently 2.07-2.10 @ 26-28spm.<br /><br />I will stick with the elliptical training as well for now. I'm very competitive against my own times on the erg and have to work hard to maintain my /500 average over the 10K which makes it a pretty demanding, but more fun and challenging workout. I just use the elliptical for 30 mins, level 6 to burn 400 calories - no pace to beat etc just fairly tiring. Also I'm hoping that by using both machines maybe some muscles that aren't being used that much on the erg may benefit from the cross trainer... maybe...<br /><br />Either way I will continue to do at least 10K a day and aim for 1,000 calories burned.<br /><br />I'm not that overweight really, but I really want to lose <b>all</b> the blub and get really fit and 'in shape.' My Dad used to row a lot (water) and always goes on about the great feeling you have in your self when you're truely fit. I wouldn't mind feeling this myself <br /><br />Once I have my times down and am mostly fat free I'll probably look at introducing some light weight lifting to boost the upper body a bit (lower's fine), but I'll see how the erging does first. - On a similar note does Xeno's upper body workout dvd give ways of increasing (a bit) of muscle volume using the concept 2?<br /><br />Finally I will try some strapless rows to ensure my technique's good but will probably stick to strapped for the most part (unless you advise against this).<br /><br />Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.<br /><br />Rob<br />

[old] Ray79

Training

Post by [old] Ray79 » January 19th, 2006, 9:53 am

I would try not to get too hung up on the 2km's. And I definately wouldnt do 2 hard 2k's in one session. (I might do 2 hard 2kms in 6 months) <br />Its good that you are going to add some variety though, the erg can be a very boring place. Have you tried some very low rate/high power rowing?? Somewhere round 18-20 strokes per minute over longer distances?? These can really help to concenrate on form and also helping to up the power in your stroke.<br />Another good idea to break the monotony is to try a pyramid session. Changing the rate every 2 mins for a set period of time i.e 18/20/22/24/26/28/26/24/22/20/18. Or you can simply move up and down between 2 different rates its up to you. These can help to keep you switched on, But beware, slowing down the rate on the down side of the pyramid is not as easy as it sounds. Just mix it up and enjoy it.<br />It sounds like you have a good plan and plenty of determination and this will take you a long way to knocking spots off those times fairly quickly.<br />I dont think that the eliptical will hit any muscles that the erg doesnt, because the erg doesnt miss much. Even your face gets a workout from grimacing with pain from time to time .<br />If and when you do start doing any weights, do low weight high reps, these are more suitable to rowing than just loads of brute strength. I dont know anything about Xenos DVD's as I have never seen any of them but I am sure someone else has. Try sending Byron Drachman a Personal Message, he has done alot of Xenos stuff from the DVD's.<br /><br />All the best with the training

[old] RobertS

Training

Post by [old] RobertS » January 19th, 2006, 10:08 am

I dont think that the eliptical will hit any muscles that the erg doesnt, because the erg doesnt miss much. Even your face gets a workout from grimacing with pain from time to time <br /><br />I know what you're saying there Ray!<br /><br />Cheers and thanks for the advice,<br /><br />Rob<br />