Heart Rate Tied To Tv Volume

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] c2bill

Training

Post by [old] c2bill » January 18th, 2006, 11:03 am

we've been approached by these folks with regards to our monitor/heart rate display - i'm wondering what the forum folks think of this product - basically you tie it to your TV set - and if your heart rate drops below a target rate the volume on the set goes down - encouraging you to workout harder to be able to hear.<br /><br />thoughts?<br /><br /><br /><br /><a href='http://www.theEnterTrainer.com' target='_blank'>http://www.theEnterTrainer.com</a>

[old] Paul S

Training

Post by [old] Paul S » January 18th, 2006, 1:28 pm

[quote=c2bill,Jan 18 2006, 10:03 AM]<br />we've been approached by these folks with regards to our monitor/heart rate display - i'm wondering what the forum folks think of this product - basically you tie it to your TV set - and if your heart rate drops below a target rate the volume on the set goes down - encouraging you to workout harder to be able to hear.<br /><br />thoughts?<br /><br /><br /><br />Or you could make a recording of somebody with a really annoying voice (Gilbert Gottfried come to mind, or Fran Drescher) and hook it up to that instead of the TV and if you slowed below a certain target rate it would commence hollering at you. Seriously, though it does sound like an interesting device though I have no trouble maintaining the target rate I want. Well thats not true either. Due to the many PVC"s (erratic heartbeats) I get, my Polar monitor does not display very much. I even got a newer one and it made no difference. I just kind of know how hard to work by respiration and whether I could answer a question if needed.

[old] dgivnish

Training

Post by [old] dgivnish » January 18th, 2006, 2:27 pm

No interest - the HM data on the PM3 and RowPro give me enough of a visual cue<br /><br />

[old] aledieps

Training

Post by [old] aledieps » January 18th, 2006, 3:15 pm

I find that I really can't even hear the TV or music played with the woosh of the erg right in front of me in the first place. Unless of course I blast the music.

[old] Godfried

Training

Post by [old] Godfried » January 18th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Not really interested - unless the belt works better than mine.

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » January 18th, 2006, 7:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2bill+Jan 18 2006, 03:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2bill @ Jan 18 2006, 03:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->basically you tie it to your TV set - and if your heart rate drops below a target rate the volume on the set goes down - encouraging you to workout harder to be able to hear. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You mean you have a TV you can see from an erg. How quaint.

[old] Yukon John

Training

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 18th, 2006, 7:10 pm

I don't think I'd be interested either. I don't watch TV and if this was hooked up to my music and someone started turning down "The Who", I'd find it more than a little irritating. <br /><br />I must say, I like the new fish game, what fun! If there were some way to expand the game possibilities so we could get some of the gamers off of the couch and on to the erg .

[old] Porkchop

Training

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 18th, 2006, 9:18 pm

I don't watch TV while rowing either. In addition, I don't usually have a problem with my heart rate going too low -- when I set a target heart rate for a distance row, I usually have more trouble keeping it down than getting it up. (For sprints, I don't think that heart rate is a governing factor for most people in deciding how hard to row.) By the way, most, if not all, of the authors of books on heart rate training advise using a heart rate monitor to avoid overtraining. The point is made over and over that athletes tend to push themselves hard workout after workout, and fail to allow for "easy recovery days." The recommendation is to use the HRM as a means to assure that the easy days really are easy days. Accordingly, I don't see the utility of this program.

[old] c2bill

Training

Post by [old] c2bill » January 18th, 2006, 10:17 pm

thanks for the feedback folks.<br /><br />re more games for the PM3 stay tuned...<br /><br />bp<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Jan 18 2006, 08:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Jan 18 2006, 08:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't watch TV while rowing either.  In addition, I don't usually have a problem with my heart rate going too low -- when I set a target heart rate for a distance row, I usually have more trouble keeping it down than getting it up.  (For sprints, I don't think that heart rate is a governing factor for most people in deciding how hard to row.)  By the way, most, if not all, of the authors of books on heart rate training advise using a heart rate monitor to avoid overtraining.  The point is made over and over  that athletes tend to push themselves hard workout after workout, and fail to allow for "easy recovery days."  The recommendation is to use the HRM as a means to assure that the easy days really are easy days.  Accordingly, I don't see the utility of this program. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] dennish

Training

Post by [old] dennish » January 18th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Bill, bill, bill. what were you thinking? Haven't you and Noel caught up on your sleep yet? dennis