Model D Handle - Worn

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sir Pirate

Product

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 23rd, 2004, 12:46 pm

I have a model D handle on my Model C as a lot of other people do I would guess. Now that I am used to it I really like it. Trouble is that on the right hand side of the handle I have gone completely through the dark blue handle/grip and it is now exposing the plastic underneath. This makes me think that I must be pulling a lot harder on my right side than my left. I have seen myself on tape and that does not seem to be the case.<br><br>Has anybody else worn through a Model D handle yet? And if so, what side went first?<br><br>Sir Pirate<br>

[old] MikeW

Product

Post by [old] MikeW » May 25th, 2004, 6:57 am

Sir Pirate,<br><br>My model D handle is doing the same thing on the right hand side. I've had my "D" since Aug. 03 and have rowed approximately 3.1 million meters in that time. I'm right handed so I guess I grip a bit harder on the right side. The left side of my handle is worn as well, but not to the point of reaching the black plastic handle.

[old] John Rupp

Product

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 25th, 2004, 2:23 pm

My model B handle, with"head control" tennis wrap and going on 18 million meters, is still fine.

[old] Gonz

Product

Post by [old] Gonz » May 26th, 2004, 2:48 am

I can not remember which side it was but we had a large piece of the rubber compound chip off the handle of a model D at the Indoor Rowing Centre where I train & the handle had to be replaced:angry:<br>

[old] FrankJ

Product

Post by [old] FrankJ » May 26th, 2004, 7:46 am

Sir Pirate,<br><br>Yvette and I have put over 2 million meters on the erg since switching to the Model D handle with no sign of wear. Your hands must be slipping on the handle to cause the wear. I use gloves to keep my hands from slipping since they sweat quite a bit when rowing. Perhaps that would work for you<br><br>Frank M/58/H/6:50.5

[old] Rogus

Product

Post by [old] Rogus » May 26th, 2004, 9:13 am

Just curious...is this causing problems or is it just worn and you can still use it? Does the whole handle have to been replaced or is the blue part a separate piece that is replaceable?

[old] Sir Pirate

Product

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 26th, 2004, 9:47 am

It is now becoming uncomfortable to row with. From the look of it I will have to buy a new handle as the blue part can't be replaced.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Rogus

Product

Post by [old] Rogus » May 26th, 2004, 12:01 pm

Was just thinking while erging this morning. It might be a good idea to flip flop your handle periodically if you wear one side faster than the other. This won't help you now Sir Pirate but will extend the life of the handle the next time. <br><br>The other thing I noticed now that my son is back home for the summer and using the erg is that he wears the handle noticeably different than I do. I could tell he had used it because it was roughed up in new spots. In looking at our hands, we have calluses in different places. In looking at my own hands, I have much larger and rougher calluses on my left hand than I do on my right. I would think this might lead to more wear on one side of the handle than the other.

[old] sekitori

Product

Post by [old] sekitori » May 26th, 2004, 5:19 pm

I like the design of the Model D handle. I don't like the blue material that covers it. Very small specks of it seemed to "shed", for lack of a better word and it just felt uncomfortable. So I removed it. I had a couple of extra grips from the Model C handle and after some effort, I got them to to fit. I had to cut them a little shorter since they only extend to where the handle starts to bend, but they feel better. <br><br>I contacted Concept 2 a while ago and they said that the material for the handle was reformulated, so I ordered another one. It was a little better, but not much. I removed the blue material from that one as well and replaced it with the wrap that's used on tennis rackets. Those grips are also don't extend quite as long as the blue material, but they seem to be sufficient. I secured the ends with electrical tape. I like this one about as well as the one with the shorter Model C grips. So I now have two Model D handles with grips that I modified. They both feel better than the original but not as much as they could be. I think a Model D handle with longer Model C grips would probably be the best answer. But I guess the people who design these things don't consider including an older type of grip as "progress". <br><br>By the way, I also have a Model C handle. Despite the fact that it is straight across and is a little shorter, I like it as well as any of the others--maybe more. It may not be as "ergonomically correct" as the new handle but considering everything including comfortable grips that are designed for it, it works very well for me. <br><br><br><br>

[old] Sir Pirate

Product

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 26th, 2004, 5:29 pm

sekitori<br><br>I like the D handle better than the C. I like your idea of taking the grips of the C and putting them on the D. I have a spare C handle, I will try that.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] LacticAcid

Product

Post by [old] LacticAcid » May 27th, 2004, 4:30 pm

After reading the original post that started this thread, oddly enough I ordered a model D handle for my model C! Just got the handle in the mail today and I'll agree these grips are pretty wimpy and I too would suggest the model C grips for the model D.

[old] LacticAcid

Product

Post by [old] LacticAcid » May 31st, 2004, 5:12 pm

Update, since I received the new Model D handle in the mail, I have erged with the handle for 35K. I have to say, this handle is a big improvement over the old handle. I like it! The grips are similiar to erasers, they shed each time I use them, perhaps that's the result of my superhuman gripping strength, but so what! The handle is starting to form to the contours of my hands and if I have to purchase a new handle when the grips wear down, so what, it's motivation to wear down the next handle by erging even more.<br><br>I think I'll start a collection of worn handles and someday use my shiny new "Hammer" to hang em' up on the wall.

[old] Canoeist

Product

Post by [old] Canoeist » June 1st, 2004, 11:37 am

I row a model C outfitted with the new model D handle. I have rowed about 2 million meters with this handle and have never noticed any "shedding". The D handle caused me to grow callouses in slightly different places, but that is the only problem that I have experienced with it.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Miker

Product

Post by [old] Miker » June 2nd, 2004, 11:11 pm

I have also added the D handle to the C erg. I made the switch because my hand position with the C handle (held with three fingers, with the pinkie resting on the end of the handle with thumbs floating on top or the side) was causing pain in my wrists. The new D handle feels great. My grip is wider and I can put my pinkies back on top with the thumbs still floating around. Callouses are forming on the base of the fingers as opposed to the pads of the hands with the C. No shredding of the grip yet.