Morning And Evening Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] eannamac

Training

Post by [old] eannamac » November 21st, 2005, 11:07 am

How many people try to row twice a day ? And if so what would you do to try prevent RSi or overtraining ? I'm not doing mad distances, probably something like 10K in the am, with the intention of doing a moderate 5K plus 8x500m splits in the evening. <br /><br />I am trying to avoid overdoing it and having to take time off, I'm back rowing 6 weeks after 5 months off, and it's going, just going very slooow

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » November 22nd, 2005, 2:02 pm

If you are not heavily worn out, and no ache and pains from day to day, then try some dual workouts. Maybe 3 days on day off 3 days on. Some combination that <br />you can maintain.<br /><br />Just be sure you still eat and sleep well. If you start to show fatique during the day, skip a day, then go back to one a days for a while. Your object is too improve more quickly, not make yourself sick or injured. RSI usually come from bad technique, or genetic predisposition. I have a twin who developed carpal tunnel. I've never suffered from it. We're physically very different; I'm long and lean. He's a bit shorter, more shoulders, less hips, shorter arms and legs. He's an upper body layback rower, I'm all legs and arm drive.<br /><br />Keep a training diary. What you feel like before you start, what you did.<br /><br />Good warm-ups. Relaxed cooldowns. Go like the wind the rest of thee time.

[old] eannamac

Training

Post by [old] eannamac » November 23rd, 2005, 7:03 am

Cool, thanks for that. <br /><br />Agree on the warmups and cool downs. I tend to try focus myself ont he row during the warmups and check the figures afterwards while stretching to analyse the performance.<br /><br />taking rest days is a wee bit frustrating - I know I need them - my body tells me that, but if it is risking RSI, burnout or simple boredom with the machine then they are needed. <br /><br />Bust a nut yesterday, improved my PB for both 30 mins and 1000m. Even after 8 hours sleep I'm knackered ! Even if I wanted to row today I don't think I could.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » November 23rd, 2005, 12:44 pm

Instead of days off, take easy days.<br /><br />If you're doing 8x 500 meters every day then you're probably overdoing it.<br /><br />However if the pace is moderate you can row for a long time and recover.

[old] eannamac

Training

Post by [old] eannamac » November 24th, 2005, 10:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Nov 23 2005, 05:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Nov 23 2005, 05:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Instead of days off, take easy days.<br /><br />If you're doing 8x 500 meters every day then you're probably overdoing it.<br /><br />However if the pace is moderate you can row for a long time and recover. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't row that every day, every second day maybe, with a long row in between, the idea being to use the sprints to improve speed and VO2 max, longer rows to improve stamina and concentration. Some days have to be rest days though, work/family/friends can drag me away - kicking and screaming though ! <br /><br />Thanks for the advice.