Neck And Shoulder Stiffness

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » October 27th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Rowing on Antarctica, that sounds exciting. I understand the erging is done indoors but what would it be like outdoors? You work up a lot of heat on the machine but breathing enough of that cold air would be impossible? Would the cold be to much?

[old] AntarcticGirl

Training

Post by [old] AntarcticGirl » October 29th, 2005, 9:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Any chance that you could hook up the C2 to a computer and get online with rowpro? It would be an interesting way to connect with the outside world. With the talk in the other thread about promoting C2 more, I was thinking we could try a stunt like the "Seven Continents Online Row". I am pretty sure we have someone online from Asia, and regulars from the other 5. I don't know if anything like that has ever been done before (a simultaneous sporting event with competitors on 7 continents). </td></tr></table><br />I could try the rowpro thing. You never know, that may inspire others here to get rowing again too. But since our treadmill is broken and the monitor on the bike doesn't work, I have got used to the gym being more or less my own! Don't know if I want to share it with more rowers again! <br /><br />The "Seven Continents Online Row" does sound like a good event. For purely selfish reasons anything like that would need to be done and dusted before the end of December. The annual visit from our resupply ship is due at Christmas and then we have a manic eight week summer season to get the base ready for the next winter. (And I am due to leave at the beginning of March too ) It is pure chaos for the majority of the time and the gym is used as a store room with boxes and bags everywhere - just finding the C2 can be an effort in itself!<br /><br />I do have a vague memory of a multi-continent running event years and years ago that my Dad took part in - "Run The World"? I think it was along the lines of a half marathon (10K?), where every race started at the same time - using the GMT time standard. I know that he still wears the t-shirt<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Rowing on Antarctica, that sounds exciting. I understand the erging is done indoors but what would it be like outdoors? You work up a lot of heat on the machine but breathing enough of that cold air would be impossible? Would the cold be to much? </td></tr></table><br />I have never tried taking our C2 outside to row..... But Craigy has......<br />(ahhh, I tried to include a picture here, but I have no idea how to do it.... any suggestions and I will try again....) <br />He didn't enjoy it much. Saying that though, he did try when it was dark and very cold. Today it is only -20 deg Centigrade, and will be getting warmer from now on, max is about -5. Don't know how that would be. I know from just when the gym has been cold that I don't function very well; but being outside might make it completely different.<br /><br /><br />Well, this is a long post, and completely off topic too. I did try the eyes closed thing last night during my warm up, and I must say it felt great; really relaxed. But I did have to keep checking on my pace just to keep me on track.<br /><br />Vanessa*

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » October 30th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Wth all the row work for your lats and traps, be sure to balance your musculature with bench press and push-ups.<br /><br />You can stretch those back muscles. <br /><br />1. Cross you arms in front of you, at the elbows. <br />2. Lift your forearms, then cross your wrists, and put your palms together.<br />3. Lean your arms away until you have a slight stretch.<br />4. Slowly lift you elbows and hold.<br />5. Finally, press your elbows down toward your abdomen and hold.<br /><br />Now cross your arms with the other one on top, and repeat steps 2-5. <br /><br />Larry Wagner<br />