Beginner Training

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] epotash

Training

Post by [old] epotash » August 12th, 2005, 6:27 pm

I will be a freshmen in college in a few weeks and I want to do crew. I am 148 lbs. and 6'0". I started working out on a concept2 at the gym this week and I have a few questions about my workout and my results.<br /><br />First of all, in addition to rowing on the concept2 I am doing a workout routine i put together myself that focuses on arms, shoulders, and upper back. This includes machine exercises (seated row, lat pull, tricep pull, military press) and freeweight exercises (seated flies, one arm row, bicep curl) as well as pull ups and pushups. I have separated these exercises into two routines which I alternate with. I would like to hear what you think of these exercises and if there are any I should add or remove. Also, I am currently rowing at the end of my workout, should I move my rowing (on the concept2) to the beginning?<br /><br />I registered on the log profile website, and have a couple entries posted from this week. I dont know if I can link to them, but I rowed twice for 30 minutes, the first time with an average split of 2:19.9 and the second 2:19.5, and then today I decided to do a 2k which took 8:21.7 (2:05.4 split). As i said earlier I row at the end of my workout, so maybe if i did it at the beginning I would perform better, also I am doing a poor job of pacing myself (today during the 2k for the first 2 minutes I was doing a < 2:00 split, and then I was close to 2:10 and then I finished at around 2:00) but I will know for next time what I am capable of and that will guide how i will row. Anyway, these numbers are probably quite unimpressive but I want to change that, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions for how I should start training. I will be in the gym 5 times a week for the next 3 weeks before I get to school and I was wondering how often I should be doing 30 min. trials, 2000 m. maybe some sprints? also, what do you think is a decent 2000 meter time for a freshmen lightweight rower? I would appreciate any feedback.<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Eric

[old] swavo1

Training

Post by [old] swavo1 » August 12th, 2005, 7:08 pm

When you row the majority of your power will come from your legs so perhaps you should do some leg exercises. Also, you should do some ab workouts so you'll stay connected through the drive. Finally, a lot of rowing is endurance so you should run or erg. Personally, I think you should focus more on erging and have it at the beginning of your workouts.

[old] epotash

Training

Post by [old] epotash » August 12th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware that legs were very important in rowing, although I do feel strain on my quads after a 30 minute row. I am doing ab work, I didnt think it was relavent to rowing, so I did not mention it. I will move erging to the beginning of my workout tomorrow, and do another 2k test. hopefully since i will be fresh and if i pace myself correctly I can bring my time close to 8 minutes.<br /><br />edit: Also I was wondering if someone could tell me what pace i should be rowing at. For all of the sessions i mentioned above I was rowing at 26 to 29 spm. From what I gather, spm is not directly related to speed, and that you can row very hard but at a slower pace... is this true? should there be a different pace for a 2k session vs. 30 min.

[old] swavo1

Training

Post by [old] swavo1 » August 12th, 2005, 8:37 pm

On a 2k test you should go at a stroke rate 28+. However, for long distance pieces I'll usually go at 20-21 stroke rate. This will really help you build power in each of your strokes and will help you have a very strong technique. Also, perhaps you should think about putting on some weight. The cut off for lightweights is 165, so maybe you could try to put on another 5-10 lbs, enough to make you stronger but not have to worry about dieting (luckily I'm way above the cut off so I don't really pay too much attention to my weight)

[old] epotash

Training

Post by [old] epotash » August 13th, 2005, 12:58 am

One more question. What is the impact of adjusting the slide 1 through 10 setting on the concept2? so far, i have just been rowing at 10. is the added resistance taken into account by the computer?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Eric

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » August 13th, 2005, 2:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-epotash+Aug 13 2005, 05:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(epotash @ Aug 13 2005, 05:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One more question.  What is the impact of adjusting the slide 1 through 10 setting on the concept2?  so far, i have just been rowing at 10.  is the added resistance taken into account by the computer?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Eric <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Search on here for "drag" and/or "drag factor". There's lots of stuff about what effect the damper lever has on your rowing.<br /><br />Read this thread <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7810' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7810</a> on the Concept2 UK forums.<br /><br />HTH.

[old] GutBustin'

Training

Post by [old] GutBustin' » August 20th, 2005, 12:51 pm

I am not the one for advice about rowing as I am a beginner myself, but as far as going to college I'm an expert Anyway, I would encourage you to pursue your training even if you don't get on the team this year and to try as learn as much as you can, then next year you'll be in fine form! In a word, patience.