College Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] 15kaday

Training

Post by [old] 15kaday » August 5th, 2005, 5:55 pm

From what I've heard from some people who know alot about rowing, in the U.S. breaking 6:30 on a 2k in highschool is almost an automatic ticket into a college(as far as the rowing side goes, you'll need really good grades to get into an Ivy though).

[old] swavo1

Training

Post by [old] swavo1 » August 5th, 2005, 6:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-15kaday+Aug 5 2005, 05:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(15kaday @ Aug 5 2005, 05:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->From what I've heard from some people who know alot about rowing, in the U.S. breaking 6:30 on a 2k in highschool is almost an automatic ticket into a college(as far as the rowing side goes, you'll need really good grades to get into an Ivy though). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br /><br /><br />Would that be for lightweight or heavyweight. I'm going to take a 2k and have a strong feeling I'll pull a 6:30, but I'm a heavyweight....

[old] 15kaday

Training

Post by [old] 15kaday » August 5th, 2005, 7:36 pm

For a lightweight 6:30 is incredible. For heavyweight 6:30 is kind of the slowest a heavyweight can go for acceptance to an Ivy league. Most heavyweights that get into an Ivy league college go faster than that though.

[old] 15kaday

Training

Post by [old] 15kaday » August 5th, 2005, 7:44 pm

If you reach your goal of under 6:20 by the end of high school and you have a good 6k youll be fine as far as erging goes. Your grades and test scores will be the deciding factor between a good rowing college and an Ivy league.

[old] swavo1

Training

Post by [old] swavo1 » August 5th, 2005, 11:21 pm

Do you have any idea what either technical schools or schools with excellent engineering programs look for (stanford, etc.)

[old] 15kaday

Training

Post by [old] 15kaday » August 6th, 2005, 11:57 am

Most Ivy leagues and technical school will generally look at the same thing. Enginering schoolsmay look less at reading and writing skills, since they aren't necessary but a very high SAT or ACT score is what they look at along with a GPA pretty close to 3.8 or above.

[old] swavo1

Training

Post by [old] swavo1 » August 6th, 2005, 2:11 pm

but 4 erg scores, are the cut offs generally the same for technical schools?

[old] JimR

Training

Post by [old] JimR » August 6th, 2005, 4:12 pm

My daughter went through recruiting with several schools this past year ... here are some random thoughts related to this thread ...<br /><br />(1) Pick the schools you want to attend. No matter what happens with rowing you are going to school to get an education. The right school with the right focus for the right reasons.<br /><br />(2) Determine if you can get into the college. With the way the NCAA is moving towards monitoring graduation rates for sports the days of great athletes getting a pass into college are numbered. Besides, if you flunk out of college you are also off the team (bad for coaches and athletes).<br /><br />(3) Contact the coaches. Every coach is looking for something in a rower and it may not be as simple as a 2K time. This is especially true in rowing where a lot of athletes from other sports are recruited. You can do this through the athletic website for many colleges ... others you would call.<br /><br />(4) The athletic department of the college can tell you if scholarships are possible. If they aren't (like an IVY or smaller school) it doesn't mean you don't get supported, it may just come in a different form.<br /><br />(5) The 2K (or any other) time you acheive as a high school senior is just as meaningless for recruiting as your senior grades are for getting accepted. If you really want to make it happen you have to show your stuff at the end of your sophmore year and get better your junior year. Your junior year times are what coaches look at to make recruiting decisions at the start of your senior year.<br /><br />(6) Most important ... YOU have to take charge of making the process happen. Either that or do one of the following ... (a) place in the top 5 at crash-b, ( be one of the top rowers in a boat that wins a major regatta (Nationals, Stotebury, Canada, etc.) or © get on the USRowing junior development team and race. These things would certainly get you noticed. <br /><br />You shouldn't expect someone to give you a sholarship anymore than someone would give you $100K.<br /><br />JimR

[old] TomB722

Training

Post by [old] TomB722 » August 6th, 2005, 6:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-swavo1+Aug 5 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(swavo1 @ Aug 5 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-15kaday+Aug 5 2005, 05:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(15kaday @ Aug 5 2005, 05:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->From what I've heard from some people who know alot about rowing, in the U.S. breaking 6:30 on a 2k in highschool is almost an automatic ticket into a college(as far as the rowing side goes, you'll need really good grades to get into an Ivy though). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Would that be for lightweight or heavyweight. I'm going to take a 2k and have a strong feeling I'll pull a 6:30, but I'm a heavyweight.... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />getting recruited by the top programs is usually being under 6:30 for a heavy and under 6:45 or so for a lightweight, in my experience from friends etc.

[old] 15kaday

Training

Post by [old] 15kaday » August 7th, 2005, 11:28 am

A major thing coaches look for other than erg scores( these are probably most important though, fitness is needed) is that you are a hard worker. If your coach now tells coaches that you work hard, your a good guy and a team player that will mean more then if your 2k is a 6:10 becasue they want guys who want to work and who want to win, not just row for a good team.

[old] Rowan11088

Training

Post by [old] Rowan11088 » August 7th, 2005, 3:42 pm

You'll also want to think about what kind of rowing program you want to be a part of. I row at Dartmouth as a walk-on heavy, and I think our program, in terms of coaching and just the atmosphere of the team, is phenomenal. Since we have had a weak few years though, you might have an easier time getting in here than, say, Harvard. It's hard to say though; the reason our program is starting to fall behind is a lack of recruiting (we lose out the big scores to big recruiting schools), despite the quality of the training. So I would just caution you not to be attracted merely by the perks a school offers; if you end up going to a heavy recruiting school you may not get the attention and opportunity to shine that you would at a smaller school. You might not be able to make as much of a difference.

[old] Lexams1

Training

Post by [old] Lexams1 » August 12th, 2005, 12:45 pm

Does anyone know what the time is for heavyweight girls to get recruited at top programs

[old] Hood50

Training

Post by [old] Hood50 » August 12th, 2005, 1:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexams1+Aug 12 2005, 12:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Lexams1 @ Aug 12 2005, 12:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Does anyone know what the time is for heavyweight girls to get recruited at top programs <br /> </td></tr></table><br />If you look at the CRASH-B results from this year (<a href='http://www.crash-b.org/cb2005/results/event06-hwt.html' target='_blank'>2005 Junior H Women</a>), you can get a good idea of where you rank in comparison to a lot of other rowers. You can also make a guess at what times the best programs will recruit at based off the results of the top 30.

[old] samdkrc

Training

Post by [old] samdkrc » August 12th, 2005, 1:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexams1+Aug 12 2005, 05:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Lexams1 @ Aug 12 2005, 05:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Does anyone know what the time is for heavyweight girls to get recruited at top programs <br /> </td></tr></table><br />From what i've read, the benchmark is 7:20 for 2k but because there are few who can make that time and because there is apparently a lack of female rowers i'd reckon around 7:30 would be a more realistic cut off point

[old] Lexams1

Training

Post by [old] Lexams1 » August 12th, 2005, 5:25 pm

well I was just wondering if I had a good chance in getting recruited because I went to Junior national development camp and my 4x won Stotesbury and scholastic nationals but I pull a 7:39 and I have not dropped significant time since early March