What Strength Training Have You Done Today

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 2nd, 2005, 8:50 am

Neil,<br /><br />I just came in from the gym. I was out there trying to stand on that silly ball. Have you any idea the pain that comes from doing a full gainer on to a concrete floor? Two spotters and still did a couple of face plants. I'm going to continue to try and stand on the ball, but I think I'm going to try and use a couple of poles for balance. I really do have a balance problem. It's from the medication I have to take. I have a choice. Either take the medication and have a wee balance problem or not take the medication and drop into depression. It's called a chemical imbalance. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] Paul Smith

Training

Post by [old] Paul Smith » February 2nd, 2005, 11:06 am

Yoda any thoughts on the following article:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/1032.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/1032.htm</a><br /><br />Paul

[old] neilb

Training

Post by [old] neilb » February 2nd, 2005, 11:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Yoda1+Feb 2 2005, 07:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yoda1 @ Feb 2 2005, 07:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neil,<br /><br />I really do have a balance problem.  It's from the medication I have to take.  <br /><br />Yoda <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yoda, <br /><br />Sorry, I take back what I said.<br /><br />(and on the plus side I am not aware that they have introduced random drug testing for stability ball freestyle face diving - yet.)<br /><br />Neil

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 2nd, 2005, 1:35 pm

Neil,<br /><br />Not to worry. I'm pretty open about my little problem. I wish more people would be. Perhaps there wouldn't be quite as many personnal problems in this world.<br /><br />I went back out to the gym and tried again. Couldn't do a damn thing because everyone was laughing. I challenged all of them to give it a go. One of our clients, 56 years old, female, jumped on to the ball and preceeded to roll the ball around for about a minute, then jumped back down on the floor. I couldn't believe my eyes. Neither could anyone else. Turns out that her parents were performers with some small traveling circus. They taught her and she has never forgotten. She quickly pointed out to me that although I had a good understanding of resistance training, I wasn't the smartest pea in the pod. Then in a very demanding voice she said, "Now, get back up there and practice".<br /><br />Paul,<br /><br />Great article. I hope everyone reads it. Just proves how right I am. Oops, it did say that SS was superior to traditional training, didn't it? Just kidding.<br /><br />Just a couple of comments. One, it did say that it is a better form of training for older individuals. Two, comparing the two studies, it is difficult to really say one is better than the other. (SS vs Traditional) Three, I forgot what I was going to say.<br />Four, I think the only true way of seeing whether or not a certian protocol is better than another is to see the benefits on the playing field. In other words, if you elect to use traditional training to support or better your performance in rowing, then see how that improved in rowing performance. Not how much you can lift or how many reps, but the change in rowing performance itself. Then use SS on the next circuit of training and see how your performance changes. This would take a long time to answer, but it would be well worth it.<br /><br />I know from my own performance on a bike that traditional training kinda held me down other than sprints. When I changed over to SS my sprints remained strong, but at the same time my endurance over longer distances improved greatly. <br /><br />When I was still competing there was no way I would have done SS to improve my 1 rep max. But then there wasn't any reason to be concerned about endurance. But I certainly would have considered doing SS if I were competing in running or rowing or "golf". (yuk!) If a person trains slowly then the muscles seem to improve for slow movements. If a person trains for explosive movements then that's is where the muscles seem to improve most. I think what is hard to accept is the idea that one can train with SS, maintain, and even improve their strength, yet gain a great amount of endurance. Perhaps the testing of different protocols need to change. I don't know, what do you think.<br /><br />It was a good article. I have to go and practice my "Ball Diving" now.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] Ged Musto

Training

Post by [old] Ged Musto » February 2nd, 2005, 2:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Yoda1+Feb 1 2005, 08:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yoda1 @ Feb 1 2005, 08:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->GED,<br /><br />Please explain what a press up is.<br /><br />Thank you in advance.<br /><br />Yoda <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Yoda.<br /><br />Thanks for the question. As I have been under a bit of fire from a previous topic I will tread very carefully on this one as there are a number of different variations 'Knuckle/One-Arms/One-Finger/One-Finger.One-Thumb/etc...' but I have found a good link which should give you the perfect answer. Good luck with your training Yoda and may the force be certainly with you.. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/home ... ss_ups.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/home ... htm</a><br /><br />Regards.<br />Ged.

[old] Ged Musto

Training

Post by [old] Ged Musto » February 2nd, 2005, 2:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Paul Smith+Feb 2 2005, 10:06 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Paul Smith @ Feb 2 2005, 10:06 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yoda any thoughts on the following article:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/1032.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/1032.htm</a><br /><br />Paul <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Paul.<br /><br />Long time no hear!! Glad to see your training is still going strong, keep up the good work and blast out those pb's!!! <br /><br />Best Regards.<br />Ged.

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 2nd, 2005, 9:00 pm

Paul,<br /><br />I just remembered what I forgot on item #3 of my previous post. I disagree, 100%, with the last paragraph. I believe that is the only place that the advantages of either traditional or Super Slow can be proven.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » February 3rd, 2005, 3:32 pm

My weight workout today:<br /><br />Leg press:<br /><br />3 x 6 x 320 kg<br /><br />Barbell bent over row: <br /><br />3 x 6 x 92 kg<br /><br />Dumbbell bent over row:<br /><br />3 x 6 x 42 kg<br /><br />Barbell lying triceps extension:<br /><br />3 x 6 x 42 kg<br /><br />Pec deck:<br /><br />3 x 6 x 84 kg<br /><br />AM<br />

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 3rd, 2005, 4:17 pm

remador,<br /><br />Would you be so kind as to answer the following questions?<br /><br />What type of Leg Press machine are you using? And why are you following up the Bent Over Rows with D.B. Rows? Is this the sequence of exercise that you used or did you place them in your post at random?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Yoda

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » February 3rd, 2005, 4:39 pm

Dead lifts 5 sets, reps 9, 6, 6, 5, 3,<br />Dumbell high pulls 4 sets, 12 - 9 reps<br />Chins, 4 sets, each to failure, BW +40lbs, BW +30, BW +20, BW<br />Hanging leg straight raises 2 sets, reps 25, 20<br /><br />GW

[old] Paul Smith

Training

Post by [old] Paul Smith » February 3rd, 2005, 5:35 pm

Yoda thanks for reading the article.<br />I've been training superslow 10up10down for the last few weeks since the subject was first brought up. All I'm doing is 1 set Bench press, 1 set pull down 1 set squats & started including 1 set partial leg ext. <br />My thoughts, <br />Yes very intense but no more intense than going to failure in traditional speeds.<br />For me not that enjoyable but maybe this is because I'm using free weights on the bench and a pulldown machine that is hardly friction free.<br />The squats are ok but I'm still working my way up in weight hanging off my waist.<br /><br />I was just surfing the next for more info when I came upon the above article and to be honest it has hardly remotivated me to continue this style, but we'll see.<br /><br />One thing that did stand out for me in the article was the test done by the superslow advocates where the traditional speed trainees were only allowed to do one set the same as the superslow guys. Seeing as 'traditionaly' multiple sets are used I don't think this was very objective.<br /><br />Don't want to kick off the whole debate again.<br /><br />I'll let you know if I end up continuing with SS or not. Does the shaking ever stop? <br /><br />Paul<br /><br />Ged sorry think you may have me muddled with another Paul Smith, I think there are a few kicking about......I think.<br />

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » February 3rd, 2005, 5:40 pm

Yoda1,<br /><br />The leg press machine is a 45º technogym; I use it at my club. In a gym where I use to go, there is an old - heavy - Quindo lp machine in which I use to lift less 60 kg, for 8 rep's.<br /><br />The sequence is the one I am using, nowadays.<br /><br />The DB rows after the bent over rows are made ocasionnally, when I feel there is some strength left. However, I use to do some ab's crunches between stations.<br /><br />AM

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 3rd, 2005, 6:46 pm

Paul,<br /><br />The visable (spelling)shaking does stop after a short training period. But the shaking inside continues even after years of SS training. I hope you know what I mean. Especially if it's taken to failure.<br /><br />I have been experimenting a little with changing the positive and negative times with SS. The reason is that even after all of the years of using and teaching SS I have never been able to get that same feel in the muscles themselves as with traditional training. I honestly believe that it is the "pump" that one gets from multiple sets. <br /><br />I'm planning on trying the following starting next week. 1. Staying with the SS protocol with 8 seconds per rep for multiple sets. Probably 3 sets on each exercise. And I'll shoot for 6-8 reps per set. 2. I'm going to attempt to stay with the basic exercises. 3. I'm not going to take any set to failure except the last set of each exercise. I'm going to do this myself. Not one of our clients will be trying this. But here's the big question. Is the multiple set methods done because of that feeling (the pump) or is really a better protocol. Again, I don't believe the answer lies in the actual protocol itself, but the end result when applied to a person's selected sport.<br /><br />A long time ago someone told me that resistance training was like a massage. Not something that was done to the point of injury. If you think about it, it's like being an office worker that has never used a shovel. He wants to dig a hole in his backyard. He can do it a couple of different ways. He can rush out there and dig non-stop until the job is completed. Or he can take his time. If he rushes out there and works non-stop the chances of being so sore and developing blisters to the point that he won't be able to move for several days are pretty good. If he goes out and works at a pace that fits his actual physical condition, he's not going to have blisters nor will he be so sore that he can't go back out and finish the job in a reasonable period of time. At my age now, I like to think that the massage method is a better way to fly. Sometimes I also believe this is like SS. <br /><br />Since everyone is posting their workout for the day, I guess I'll post mine as well. 7AM went on a 1-1/2 hour hike with Molly (my lab). Up and down the mountian near our home. Tried to balance on the Swiss Ball for about 30 minutes. Managed to stay on top of the ball for a grand total of about 45 seconds. That's it.<br /><br />Hey, if anyone else read the article about traditional vs SS let's hear some opinions. And no yelling.<br /><br />Yoda <br /><br /> <br />

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » February 4th, 2005, 11:32 am

Yoda,<br /><br />I'm not sure the risk/reward benefits of standing/squating on the exercize ball are worth it. Jaun Carlos Santana, a functional training "guru" tore his knee up while demonstrating exercise ball "tricks".<br /><br />Take care!<br />GW

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 4th, 2005, 12:41 pm

GW,<br /><br />I am begining to think that you've hit the nail on the head. After repeated face plants and quite a few people laughing at me, I'm going to stick with just kneeling for a while. It does require a bit of focus.<br /><br />Have you read the article that Paul put up? I'd be interested in your opinion on it. I'm sure others would as well. And what do you think of the program I'm going to start next week?<br /><br />Gotta go, today is TAX day. I'm going to be very unhappy about the outcome.. I just have that feeling.<br /><br />Yoda