Live Chat!

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] concept2

Forum use, comments and suggestions

Post by [old] concept2 » May 25th, 2004, 11:35 am

i've just now turned on the live chat function for this board - you'll see a link in the upper right hand corner of the board - "live chat" as well as a list of people who are currently chatting in the lower half of the board. Please give it a test run and let me know how you like it.<br><br>cheers<br>-bp

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 25th, 2004, 2:26 pm

Nice feature. Thanks.

[old] ElCaballo

Post by [old] ElCaballo » May 25th, 2004, 2:42 pm

What's supposed to happen when I click "Live Chat". I see a window pop up that has a grayed-out area in it, but nothing else. Where am I supposed to find the list of people currently chatting? Is it on the bottom half of ANY page I'm looking at, or only in the chat window that doesn't show anything at all?<br><br>Bill W.

[old] concept2

Post by [old] concept2 » May 25th, 2004, 3:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ElCaballo+May 25 2004, 01:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ElCaballo @ May 25 2004, 01:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What's supposed to happen when I click "Live Chat". I see a window pop up that has a grayed-out area in it, but nothing else. Where am I supposed to find the list of people currently chatting? Is it on the bottom half of ANY page I'm looking at, or only in the chat window that doesn't show anything at all?<br><br>Bill W. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> i have the same problem while i'm at work - the chat room uses a different port to connect to - so if you have a firewall set up - it may restrict access to the chat server. I use a dial up connection here in order to be able to use it.<br><br>the other frustrating thing is that there is a 5 minute delay between when users go into the chat room, and when they show up in the "whos in the chat room" link...<br><br>for instance - i'm online now - but you can't tell.<br><br>-bp

[old] PaulH

Post by [old] PaulH » May 25th, 2004, 3:45 pm

The gray box is because it's a Java app(let), and that's what appears while it creates the app. If you don't have the right Java on your machine, of course, then all you get is a gray box! It almost works for me in the Firefox browser, except I'm not able to enter text - this could be seen as a problem!

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 25th, 2004, 5:36 pm

Can it be set up to work without java, or is that a requirement.

[old] PaulH

Post by [old] PaulH » May 25th, 2004, 5:54 pm

I believe that's just how it is - it's a plugin module for the forum, so Bill doesn't have any control over it beyond being a paying customer who gets to complain! I know that he is assessing how it is used, so if many people are having problems I'm sure he'll take action.<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] Gonz

Post by [old] Gonz » May 25th, 2004, 6:40 pm

1st impressions all good; would like to spend a bit more time in the room then I'll post my thoughts.<br> Thanks 4 setting it up bp. Cheers Gonz

[old] Sir Pirate

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 27th, 2004, 6:09 am

Chat room is great, just need to get a few more people in there.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Sir Pirate

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 27th, 2004, 11:33 am

Is there any way of clearing the screen in the Chat Room?<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Ole Granny

Post by [old] Ole Granny » May 29th, 2004, 5:42 pm

I just get the grey box too, but would love to chat

[old] GeorgeD

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 31st, 2004, 3:27 am

Works for me at home unfortunately not behind the fire wall at work <br><br>- George