Handle Grip Placement

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] gaffano

Training

Post by [old] gaffano » February 24th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Is there any standard grip position? Sometimes I place my hands at the ends, sometimes closer to the middle. Just wondering if there is any standard correct grip placement.

[old] SimonB

Training

Post by [old] SimonB » February 24th, 2005, 8:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gaffano+Feb 24 2005, 06:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gaffano @ Feb 24 2005, 06:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is there any standard grip position? Sometimes I place my hands at the ends, sometimes closer to the middle. Just wondering if there is any standard correct grip placement. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I would have thought that the best hand position is where your arms are as parellel as possible to your body so you are pulling directly back on the handle. The force is then directly down your arms and wrists. This will result in less stress on the wrist joints.<br /><br />I try and keep my wrists and arms as flat as possible during all stages of the stroke.<br /><span style='font-family:Courier'><br />___<br />/ \ = bad <br /><br />___<br />\ / = bad<br /><br />___ = good<br />| |</span><br /><br />Just my opinion.....

[old] bsemaiktehr

Training

Post by [old] bsemaiktehr » February 24th, 2005, 11:47 pm

I agree with Simon.<br /><br />From a physics perspective, you will want your arms to be as parallel as possible, because creating any left/right forces on the handle are wasting energy that should be used to pull the handle straight back.<br /><br />I try to shoot for shoulder-width apart.<br /><br />Also - as mentioned above - make sure you keep your wrists flat. A girl on our team got tendonitis from holding her wrists incorrectly.

[old] grimsby1

Training

Post by [old] grimsby1 » February 27th, 2005, 5:41 pm

You two are right, your arms should be perpendicular to the handle. They should be shoulder width apart.

[old] The Matinator

Training

Post by [old] The Matinator » February 28th, 2005, 11:27 pm

i have always been told to keep your little fingers hooked over the edge of the handel, because you lose around 70% of your grip and row with the handel pulling against the tip and middle section of your fingers. This makes it a little easier and really helps to cut down the blisters .

[old] Ducatista

Training

Post by [old] Ducatista » March 1st, 2005, 2:21 pm

Speaking of grip: many, many months ago I ordered a Model D handle for my Model C. I haven't yet installed it, out of laziness and toolbox chaos. How big a difference will the new handle make? Should I be rooting around for the 1/2" wrench immediately upon arriving home tonight, or will I be underwhelmed with the upgrade?

[old] RacerX

Training

Post by [old] RacerX » March 1st, 2005, 2:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ducatista+Mar 1 2005, 01:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ducatista @ Mar 1 2005, 01:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Speaking of grip: many, many months ago I ordered a Model D handle for my Model C. I haven't yet installed it, out of laziness and toolbox chaos. How big a difference will the new handle make? Should I be rooting around for the 1/2" wrench immediately upon arriving home tonight, or will I be underwhelmed with the upgrade? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Ducatista,<br /><br />Well, we have two things in common.<br /><br />1. I had a 748 and now ride a 999. Are you on any of the Duc forums?<br /><br />2. Both of us have not gotten round to intstalling the Model D handle on our C's!<br /><br />Aaron

[old] Ducatista

Training

Post by [old] Ducatista » March 1st, 2005, 3:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RacerX+Mar 1 2005, 12:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RacerX @ Mar 1 2005, 12:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Ducatista,<br />Well, we have two things in common.<br />1. I had a 748 and now ride a 999.  Are you on any of the Duc forums?<br />2. Both of us have not gotten round to intstalling the Model D handle on our C's!<br />Aaron <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I'll be damned! Lucky man, two fine rides. Three if you count the Model C. <br /><br />My only online motorcycle playground is a local sportbike board. The Duc (Monster 620) was my first bike, had it for just 5900mi — traded 'er in just before the 6K valve adjustment, ha. Now I ride a Daytona 955, which I LOVE, but I'm still a Ducatista at heart.

[old] RacerX

Training

Post by [old] RacerX » March 1st, 2005, 4:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ducatista+Mar 1 2005, 02:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ducatista @ Mar 1 2005, 02:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-RacerX+Mar 1 2005, 12:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RacerX @ Mar 1 2005, 12:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Ducatista,<br />Well, we have two things in common.<br />1. I had a 748 and now ride a 999.  Are you on any of the Duc forums?<br />2. Both of us have not gotten round to intstalling the Model D handle on our C's!<br />Aaron <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I'll be damned! Lucky man, two fine rides. Three if you count the Model C. <br /><br />My only online motorcycle playground is a local sportbike board. The Duc (Monster 620) was my first bike, had it for just 5900mi — traded 'er in just before the 6K valve adjustment, ha. Now I ride a Daytona 955, which I LOVE, but I'm still a Ducatista at heart. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I had a M900 as well. The 955 rocks - the owner of DesmotoSport in San Francisco, a former AMA wrench, had a very nice one I used to borrow when my bike was in for one mod or another. Smooth, fast and really stable. okay, back to the rowing channel!<br /><br />Aaron

[old] EChang

Training

Post by [old] EChang » March 21st, 2005, 1:17 am

i agree with The Matinator. I like to have my hands on the very ends of the handle so my smallest finger barely hangs off. this also helps out at the finish because it reduces that aqward feel. With your hands closer you might feel a little more power but you lose some distance in the finish.