Aerobic Fitness Or Strength

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] snowy17

Training

Post by [old] snowy17 » December 15th, 2004, 9:14 pm

what is more important in a 2k ergo aerobic fitness or strength?

[old] Almostflipped

Training

Post by [old] Almostflipped » December 15th, 2004, 9:29 pm

The aerobic energy systems contribute about 75-80% of the energy required for a 2k piece. So i'd say aerobic.<br><br>Having said that, if you have the time its probably to work both. Just with the emphasis on aerobic.

[old] allapologies916

Training

Post by [old] allapologies916 » December 16th, 2004, 12:20 am

um... it takes a lot of aerobic, but if you dont have the strength to back it up then no go... I know guys that are in better aerobic shape than some other stronger ones, and their about even just because the sheer extra muscle creates a big advantage on 2k. Plus, aerobic takes a while to build up enough to overcome strength.

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » December 16th, 2004, 12:21 am

Fitness is the bow, strength the arrow. And technique will tell you where the target is and maybe will let you hit it.

[old] pduck

Training

Post by [old] pduck » December 16th, 2004, 1:44 am

As an old runner recently converted to rowing, I find that I can row all day, but I don't have the power to row a fast 2K. I'm improving all the time, but I feel that I don't have enough strength in my quads to row really fast.

[old] yperess

Training

Post by [old] yperess » December 18th, 2004, 12:19 pm

I am a rower and a marathon runner and I can tell you this, running will make you row a more consistant and faster row, but rowing will make you a slower runner. I would also recommend swimming, this will drastically improve your lung capacity and allow you to push yourself harder during the 2k rows. Start off with breathing every 2 strokes while swimming, and work your way up to breathing on the 5th stroke. You have to get the body use to using more of the oxygen it takes in. This will help you hold your faster time on your 2k and help you a lot with your 5k rows too.