Holiday Challenge - How Do You Do It?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sunflower

Training

Post by [old] Sunflower » December 13th, 2004, 10:45 pm

I'm at 131, 015 m and just got the day 16 treat from my Advent calendar (for 128K) <br><br>It has been fun pushing myself and trying different work-outs; as I'm quite new to the Erg and rowing. I really do weights more often as a workout and I'd have to say taking Glutamine supplements I take for that are a great help to recovery - especially when driving to work at 7 AM on Monday after 16 K workout on Sunday to catch up.<br><br>There have definitely been not-fun times too, but I feel good about having pushed and pulled through them. And its been good to think that I may be fending off some of the fat from all the Christmas time goodies that are apearing.<br><br>Have fun y'all.<br>

[old] Canoeist

Training

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 14th, 2004, 9:05 am

Sunflower,<br><br>Your idea of an Advent calendar with a small tangible reward for each day rowed is a very clever idea! I will have to remember your idea next year. My 11 year daughter is doing the challenge this year. (She has rowed 26K out of 50K for the kids row.) I would like to motivate my hyperkinetic son to sit still long enough to grab the handle and put on the footstraps. I think the "treat a day" would work for him. He can only focus on one day at a time!<br><br>Good luck obtaining the remainder of your treats!<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Tom_Pinckney

Training

Post by [old] Tom_Pinckney » December 15th, 2004, 7:41 am

For those of us that are new to rowing, I feel this is a great idea, especially considering the (possible) weight gains many people have during the holidays. For a newby like me, it is not that difficult, but does make rowing a part of my life & gives me an immediate goal. <br><br>The main reason many of us purchase an indoor rower is to lose weight with a min. amount of stress on our bodies. With numerous injuries (I have back, neck & knee injuries sustained on the job as a police officer) I find the challenges a great way to "push" me a little further than I'm used to without much stress on my injured body parts. Of course my butt hurts after sitting on the seat (yes, I have a pad added) after sitting on it for an hour or so!!! <br><br>Recently, I went on a 10 day cruise. Luckily, the gym on the ship had two C2 ergometers. I rowed everyday on the cruise. As a newby (I am 59 yrs. old) longer rows are much easier for me to keep up the pace to burn calories to counteract the "all you can eat meals" that were available 24 hours a day. In 10 days, I gained no weight. <br><br>Yep, the intervals are probably better for getting in shape. However, sometimes one must get in shape to do them first!! The challenges are a great way to do that.

[old] alandarkdale

Training

Post by [old] alandarkdale » December 15th, 2004, 9:35 am

As a newbie rower this Holiday Challenge has motivated me to step workouts up a bit. Last school year was spent with a total of 20 weeks of casts/crutches and walking boots due to two foot surgeries. That brought physical fitness to a new low for me. In August I was able to start to run but the pounding isn't good. Erging is so smooth that I can do 45 minutes instead of 20 or so on the road. <br><br>The 45 minutes/day 4 or 5 days a week schedule seems a good challenge for right now. Maybe next year I will consider this to be "junk mileage", right now it seems to be plenty hard enough. I'm averaging around 2:13/500m for 45 minutes. Monday's half marathon was 2:20/500. It was my first ever so I was more concerned with pacing than overall time.

[old] MKC

Training

Post by [old] MKC » December 15th, 2004, 9:45 am

I'm doing a 10k each day for 5-6 days a week, using my training plan as a base and finishing out with additional " Challange" meters to get to the 200K. Since I'm out of town for 5 days this and next week and was sick the first 4 days of the challange, I had to schedule out my rows to insure I would make it....almost there!<br>Happy Holidays everyone!<br>MKC