Max Hr Or Hrr (heart Rate Reserve)

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » November 9th, 2004, 3:06 pm

Finally got my HRM and did an hour this morning and the ave HR was 133.<br><br>My question is this: <br><br>As a % of my Theoretical HR (175) this is 76% and therefore in the middle of what the C2 training manual refers to as UT1<br><br>As a % of my HRR (heart rate reserve, 175-50=125) this is 66% ((133-50=83)/125))<br><br>I would appreciate some opinion on this as that is quite a difference.<br><br>NOTE: I repsectfully dont want to get into a discussion on the merits or non-merits of HR training in general <br><br>- Tks George<br><br>

[old] drkcgoh

Training

Post by [old] drkcgoh » November 9th, 2004, 5:04 pm

There are charts in the ACSM and AACVPR that confirm this difference. <br>There are also more accurate formulae than the 220 -Age to predict maximum HR.<br>The 205 -1/2 Age by Kaminsky is certainly more accurate (it gives me 174) against the 157 from the 1st formula).<br>There is another formula found in the latest edition of the ACSM guidelines for Exercise testing.<br>In any case, HRR is more accurate than a plain percentage of the predicted max HR, as it takes into account your own low resting HR.<br>Also bear in mind that calculated formulae have a variation of 15 beats either way, So it is better to test out your max HR from a step test as found in the Training guide.<br>KC63/HR171at 2K

[old] albailey

Training

Post by [old] albailey » November 9th, 2004, 10:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Nov 9 2004, 02:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (GeorgeD @ Nov 9 2004, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finally got my HRM and did an hour this morning and the ave HR was 133.<br><br>My question is this: <br><br>As a % of my Theoretical HR (175) this is 76% and therefore in the middle of what the C2 training manual refers to as UT1<br><br>As a % of my HRR (heart rate reserve, 175-50=125) this is 66% ((133-50=83)/125))<br><br>I would appreciate some opinion on this as that is quite a difference.<br><br>NOTE: I repsectfully dont want to get into a discussion on the merits or non-merits of HR training in general  <br><br>- Tks George<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>heart rate reserve is new to me, so i did the calculations for myself, and noticed<br>the same disparity, which is more pronounced at 50 and 60%, gradually lessening<br>the higher the given percentage.<br><br>i had previously noted that 60% of my regular HRmax, 108, was not going to get me anywhere.<br>while 60% of my HRreserve, 129, feels a bit more like it could be burning some calories.<br><br>i don't know what your goals are, but i'm currently focused on burning the calories strapped to<br>my middle, and have found the heart rate monitor to be a very easy way to quantify my workouts<br>in order to help me achieve my goal (which is fitting into an old suit for a friend's wedding - ack! put<br>that candy bar down! <br><br>- al.

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » November 9th, 2004, 11:04 pm

Having Googled the issue and visited 97.3 sites HRR is where it is at

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » November 9th, 2004, 11:11 pm

The most accurate method is to determine YOUR maximum and minimum heart rates.<br><br>Then use the percent of your heart rate reserve.