My New Rower Seems More Difficult???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Jazz

Training

Post by [old] Jazz » November 3rd, 2004, 8:51 pm

Hi all, I just bought a new model D recently and it seems harder than the rower I have been using for the last several months at the gym. For example I row 1:52 rate for 30 mins at the gym on a Model C, but at home 1:56 feels just as hard. I use the damper on 3 on both models. <br>Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be differences in the units or just psychological (people watching at the gym makes you try a little harder?).<br><br>Cheers<br><br>

[old] Atorrante

Training

Post by [old] Atorrante » November 3rd, 2004, 9:02 pm

I think you should adjust the damper setting in your new "D" so to be sure the drag factor equals the gym machine.

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » November 3rd, 2004, 9:52 pm

“people watching at the gym makes you try a little harder?”<br><br>Many years ago I was erging at a fitness room when an attractive coed started rowing on the C2 next to the one I was using. There were four lined up next to each other and you couldn’t help noticing the displays of the other rowers. Now I was (and still am) a harmless geezer with children and grandchildren. Nevertheless, I can tell you that you are never so old that you are not immune to flattery from the other sex. As soon as she sat down next to me my displayed split times miraculously lowered. She looked over and said: ”Those are really good times. Are you a member of a rowing club?” After that, the numbers even went lower. In fact, I was looking at split times I had never seen before. Needless to say, the pressure was on, and I was really suffering and trying not to show it. Finally she left, and then I did. The next day I could barely walk I was so sore.<br><br><br>Byron

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » November 3rd, 2004, 10:17 pm

As Atorrante says, the damper setting is not the same as the drag setting .... you need to check that your new D actually is on the same drag. From my experience at the gym because the machines are generally dusty they have a lower drag foa any given damper setting.<br><br>- George

[old] Jazz

Training

Post by [old] Jazz » November 4th, 2004, 1:42 am

Thanks Atorrante,<br>I fiddled with my PM3 for the first time to figure out the drag factor and will see what the one at the gym is at the next time I go. <br><br>Cheers

[old] Jazz

Training

Post by [old] Jazz » November 4th, 2004, 1:46 am

<br><br> Thanks for the story Byron it made me laugh because I can relate. My splits are better when someone is watching especially when that someone is an attractive coed.<br>Cheers

[old] Tom_Pinckney

Training

Post by [old] Tom_Pinckney » November 4th, 2004, 9:54 am

Byron: thanks for the story. Sounds like you are perfectly normal to me, you old letcher!!!

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » November 4th, 2004, 12:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Tom_Pinckney+Nov 4 2004, 05:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Tom_Pinckney @ Nov 4 2004, 05:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Byron:  thanks for the story.  Sounds like you are perfectly normal to me, you old letcher!!!    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>The PM3 has even made it possible to say "Nice Profile" without getting slapped. Just make sure the force curve display is up. <br><br>Maybe the D stands for "Difficult"...<br>

[old] gisborne

Training

Post by [old] gisborne » November 5th, 2004, 5:08 pm

I have found that the same drag setting (not damper setting) feels harder on my model D than on the model C's at the gym.<br><br>I rowed 30 mins at 1:59 at the gym. At home I row 30 mins at 2:20 with a lower drag. Some of that is because I am exerting less effort at home (to stay within HR range) but some of that must be the machine.<br><br>And my left forearm hurts a little bit right along the inside bone near the wrist when I row on it as well. I can watch TV though and with HR monitor I figure it doesn't matter how hard it feels .

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » November 5th, 2004, 6:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gisborne+Nov 5 2004, 02:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (gisborne @ Nov 5 2004, 02:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> my left forearm hurts a little bit right along the inside bone near the wrist when I row on it <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Maybe your stroke rate is too low.<br><br>Using a rate that's too low can cause injuries to your wrists and elbows.<br><br>Perhaps you were using a higher rating at the gym.

[old] phowd

Training

Post by [old] phowd » November 5th, 2004, 6:22 pm

On the wrists and arms comment - look elsewhere for the discussions talking about the differnet handles on the C and D and warnings related to hand/wrist position due to the change in handle configuration.<br><br>Peter

[old] Jazz

Training

Post by [old] Jazz » November 5th, 2004, 11:00 pm

<br>In reply to Gisbornes comment about rowing 1:59 at gym and 2:20 at home. That is quite the difference. I'm sure the workout at the gym gets your heart rate much higher. <br>The difference with me is that 1:52 at the gym seems like 1:57ish at home. I really wouldn't care cause it is a good workout either way and I'm better off both ways. But, one day I may enter a race and if my home rower is a truer indication of my times then I'm not quite as good as I thought I was.<br>Cheers<br><br>

[old] brianric

Training

Post by [old] brianric » November 5th, 2004, 11:19 pm

Sound normal to me Byron.