New To Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Aurrius

Training

Post by [old] Aurrius » September 6th, 2004, 12:30 am

I recently started to get into rowing at my gym that i attend. They recently upgraded to the Latest model Concept2 rowing machines.<br><br>I have been thinking about getting into rowing competitively (Eventfully, no rush.. Ill give myself a few years of getting into rowing first)<br><br>So anyway back to my story. Yes.. i been hitting the rowing machines recently. <br>Posting what i think are decent times for a newbie rower.<br><br>So, what is the best approach to go towards training? Endurance, speed work?<br><br>Also what level do you set the resistance thingy to? Which is the equivalent to rowing on the water? (So that I can set some kind of Pbs)<br><br>Any tips will be helpful.<br><br><br>Thanks<br><br>Aaron<br>

[old] Aurrius

Training

Post by [old] Aurrius » September 6th, 2004, 12:53 am

I forgot to note that, i am unsure if i wish to compete in Indoor or Outdoor rowing.

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » September 6th, 2004, 2:05 am

The best approach to training is technique, which means everything. Otherwise endurance. Anyone can pull hard for three strokes. The main objective of erging is CV fitness.<br><br>For erging I'd start using a few numbers:<br>Erg df 130 - 140;<br>At least 10m per stroke, possibly 12 or more according to your strength, height, age (or use Watts per stroke, > 10);<br>At least 500 kCal per session;<br>Rating < 24.<br><br>My 1x feels like erg df 150 with 11 - 12 m/stroke, rating 19 to 21. I use C2 hatchets on dead water. Most other boats are quicker, and 135 erg df is the conventional idea. This applies however only if you have good technique and in particular a good ratio. The numbers above should take care of that. As to mechanical aspects, when rowing we can only control the gearing ** (by adjusting the rigging) but not the drag, unless you want to tow a buoy or something. On the erg you can control only the drag.<br><br>If you want to do competitive rowing, you'll need a coach, and you do what he says - we can't have all crew members doing just what they like, the boat won't move. If you've had no coaching, stay off the erg. The chances of learning to row on your own are nil and you can only get into bad habits.<br><br><br>** Forgot to note that when you turn from a head to a tail wind, or move from dead to tidal water, the feeling is completely different, so talking about "equivalent erg df" is effectively meaningless.

[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » September 6th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Along with the use of this forum, I highly recommend downloading and printing C2's training guide at this link - <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/</a> . I found it very informational when I began rowing and still refer to it often.<br><br>As above, concentrate on technique. There is lots of good info in the training guide, you should also consider rowing strapless at relatively low stroke rates, and with a low drag factor ("resistance thingy" ). I believe a site search for "strapless" would likely turn up a fair bit of reading for you on that subject.<br><br>Also don't be afraid to ask for clarification on some of the rowing terms bandied about by some of this site's more experienced ergers. I have asked a fair number of silly questions over the past while, but everyone appears quite willing to help.<br><br>Good luck,<br>Mark

[old] Aurrius

Training

Post by [old] Aurrius » September 6th, 2004, 10:01 pm

I do all my rowing on level 7.<br>So what is the drag factor on that?

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » September 7th, 2004, 3:41 pm

I do most of my long distance pieces at a DF of about 118-120.. on my erg, that's at the high end of level "3" almost nudging into "4" on my flywheel opening.. if that gives you a frame of reference. <br><br>I think on most ergs (model C) 135 DF would be around level 5 ... (?)

[old] Godfried

Training

Post by [old] Godfried » September 7th, 2004, 3:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Aurrius+Sep 7 2004, 02:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Aurrius @ Sep 7 2004, 02:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I do all my rowing on level 7. So what is the drag factor on that?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I did a test on a C once:<br><span style='color:blue'><b>1 95</b></span> 2 106 <span style='color:blue'><b>3 117</b></span> 4 135 <span style='color:blue'><b>5 148</b></span> 6 159 <span style='color:blue'><b>7 174</b></span> 8 191 <span style='color:blue'><b>9 210</b></span> 10 225

[old] Aurrius

Training

Post by [old] Aurrius » September 7th, 2004, 8:36 pm

Thanks everyone for all ur help.<br>I am sure i will be back with more questions. <br><br>Anyway thanks

[old] JimR

Training

Post by [old] JimR » September 13th, 2004, 12:46 pm

I believe the PMx monitors are "calibrated" so that the pace you see is similar to what rowing in a 4 would be like (not sure if this was the 4+ or 4-). As far as drag is concerned you can go to this link on the C2 US site to see more info ... <br><a href='http://www.concept2.com/update/S2002/drag.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/update/S2002/dr ... br><br>The significant point is that the drag factor is NOT simply based on the lever position (1-10) ... so when Gotfried told what his drag factors were for each setting on the erg is was for him, on that erg, on that day. Two machines side by side may have quite different drag factors even if the settings are the same.<br><br>Things that make a difference:<br>(1) Do you use a CBreeze? Very nice thing to have but the drag is lowered.<br>(2) Is the fan clean? Lots of dust can make a huge difference!<br>(3) Is the airflow unrestricted? Real close to a wall, housing partially covered, etc. all affect drag factor.<br><br>For all the debate about drag factor there is only one thing I pay close attention to ... when I race on another machine I make sure the drag factor is the same as mine at home. Being used to some "setting" and racing on a different "setting" just does not work for me!<br><br>JimR

[old] Jason85

Training

Post by [old] Jason85 » September 14th, 2004, 3:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jamesg+Sep 6 2004, 01:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (jamesg @ Sep 6 2004, 01:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <br><br> If you've had no coaching, stay off the erg. The chances of learning to row on your own are nil and you can only get into bad habits.<br><br><br>. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>So I should get a coach to learn how to row on an erg? Does anyone else here agree with this? I thought watching the technique video and practicing what it says would be sufficient. Water rowing I would agree about the coach however.

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » September 15th, 2004, 10:49 am

Do you really use a df that high? I always race and train somewhere around 105-115. I find that this simulated the feeling of a four the best.