Weight Training

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » July 16th, 2004, 2:36 pm

Dwayne, fascinating read.<br><br>How the hell do you stay motivated? that is a lot of physical work you put into 1 day. What is your motivation?<br><br>Sir Pirate<br>

[old] dadams

Training

Post by [old] dadams » July 16th, 2004, 2:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Jul 16 2004, 01:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Jul 16 2004, 01:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Dwayne, fascinating read.<br><br>How the hell do you stay motivated? that is a lot of physical work you put into 1 day. What is your motivation?<br><br>Sir Pirate <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Karppinen's record. A chance to go to Amsterdam in December. A chance to give you Limey's more crap. etc. etc.<br><br>Dwayne

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » July 16th, 2004, 5:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dwayne+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Dwayne)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>Whether or not HMB, Vanadyl and Pyruvate have been debunked, I still feel a difference in my performance using them. In my head?? If so, then so be it.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>I know for sure that HMB sure does not give you "deca like gains" as the ads were touting when it was first introduced back in the mid 90's.... In fact I don't really know what it gives you other than a lighter wallet. I think pyruvate only worked if you took it ridiculous quantities.. some experiments were something along the lines of over 6grams a day! <br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>I'll do some checking on the r-ALA. As long as I don't have to give a kidney to pay for it, might as well give it a whack.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>No, it's not that expensive! If you're interested I'll give you a link so you can get some. You take it with your carbs post-workout, or any meal high in carbs, for that matter. The dosage is about 250mg/per meal and not to go over 1g/day.<br><br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>My weight as a competitive bb was around 230 lbs. I either needed to start with the drugs in order to stay competive, or give it up. I chose to give it up.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Yeah, I'm kind of coming to that same conclusion here. I was getting ready for the Musclemanias and I was at around 241 at 4.5%b.f... I just got off a "bulking" cycle and I finished at around 275-280 and had my b.f. tested at just a shade under 13%. <br><br>I just got tired of the yo-yo bulk and cut mentality of bb-ing. I was also tired of having to have two sets of clothes..one when I was "in condition" and another for when I was "bulking." Also, I didn't feel as if I was a complete athlete. My aerobic endurance was for nothing. (the CW in lifting is no cardio activity while bulking..).. I just want to get to a reasonable body weight and work on my CV fitness while keeping most of my strength.. I think it's a lot healthier alternative. <br><br>So my problem is how to get down to around 220-225 without losing too much strength.. this is going to have to be a slow, steady process, for sure. <br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>My competitive weight and my off season weight only varied by about 10 lbs.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Right now, that's a nice problem to have. I'm jealous. <br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>My body weight now is anywhere between 215 and 220 lbs. If I get below 215, I'm not as fast. Oh yea, I'm 6' 3".<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>6'4" on this end... I'm down to 263, as of yesterday's workout. But man, 43 lbs. seems like a long ways to go. I don't know how am I supposed to burn off 20 lbs. of pure mass without losing a ton of strength. Any ideas? <br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>I don't know about the CV freak part.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Stop being so humble, dude. You are rocking a sub 5:50 erg score!!!. You ARE a freak! <br><br><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>Did I answer everything? Hope so. If not, let me know.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Well everything for now... but I'm sure I'll think up some more ?? to annoy you with... OK, here's another... How many calories are you taking in a day to support a 34K ergo /iron session daily... <br><br>Take care, <br>D

[old] dadams

Training

Post by [old] dadams » July 16th, 2004, 8:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jul 16 2004, 04:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (DIESEL @ Jul 16 2004, 04:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> But man, 43 lbs. seems like a long ways to go. I don't know how am I supposed to burn off 20 lbs. of pure mass without losing a ton of strength. Any ideas? <br><br>OK, here's another... How many calories are you taking in a day to support a 34K ergo /iron session daily... <br><br>Take care, <br>D <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Another 43 lbs? Get on the erg man! Face it though, you're going to loose some of your strength. But if you're really doing the transition to erging/rowing, you won't need it.<br><br>Calories per day: right around 4500. +/- 250.

[old] anthonys

Training

Post by [old] anthonys » July 18th, 2004, 7:18 pm

with respect to weight training: if you would like to maiximize your gain in the least amount of time, check out: www.ultimate-exercise.com; www.seriousstrength.com; www.superslow.com. I work out once every 10 days with alternate A & B routines and can at any time I choose, hop on my C2 and row 10k in 43; crank out 50 miles on my road bike in 3:30; or 25 on my mountain bike on mixed terrain in 1:55; I know, not world class (not even local class), but, hey, I'm 66 years old and I'd rather spend my recreational time at the shooting range. This fall I will run the Richmond Marathon with no running training whatever, just to see how far I can get on my HIT strength training alone. 24 years ago i got a 7:40 something PR for the 50 mile ultra, but I trained my young ass off and it wasn't fun at all.<br><br>Work to maximum possible in-road of all your musculature in the minimium amount of time possible, and you won't have to concern yourself with all the crap about ascending and descending pyramids; % this, % that; high reps at low weights; low reps at high rates, blah, blah. Choose a weight and choose your exercise: if you can do 10sec positive and 10sec negative, controlling your momentum at the turnarounds with no firing out of the bottom end or holding at the top end, and if yor can do it for two minutes, the weight is too light, increase it by 5%. The dependent variable is Time Under Tension.<br><br>So for all of you all who are studs, remember that training is sport specific; there is very little to be gotten from the "crap" of cross-training (except pehaps to use up valuable recovery time). I believe that even with respect to world-class efforts, the key is recovery time not training time.<br><br>tony

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » July 19th, 2004, 5:04 pm

I checked out ultimate-exercise.com, and found this stunning claim:<br><br>"You will not find any aerobics equipment. It would be easiest if we simply "gave clients what they wanted", but aerobics is not done at Ultimate Exercise because it is an activity that consumes precious recovery resources for no productive purpose. Instead, we spend large amounts of time educating our clients about the actual requirements of proper exercise."<br><br>They also claim that training more than once a week does more harm than good. <br><br>Please forgive my scepticism, but I think I'll keep on training 10-12 times per week, and not stop the aerobic exercise just yet!

[old] anthonys

Training

Post by [old] anthonys » July 19th, 2004, 8:12 pm

Phil,<br><br>Be my guest.<br><br>tony

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » August 4th, 2004, 4:21 pm

How much rest is optimal between weights sessions? Is a day off between exercising the same body part sufficient, or is it better to leave longer than that? Also, how soon do gains start to decay? Thanks

[old] Guido B

Training

Post by [old] Guido B » August 18th, 2004, 7:47 am

I take a group course working with a barbell 2x/week. It is called BodyPump.<br><br>I think it resembles rowing on the erg very much. It's many repetition with relatively low weight, but you can use as much weigth as you want, providing you finsish the track. <br><br>It's not just about doing a certain number of reps. There are constant changes when training one muscle group. Sometimes you lift the weigth quickly and let it come down slowly, other times it's the reverse. Sometimes you only work in a part of the motion range. <br><br>It seems to me that slowing down a weigth coming down is harder then pushing it up. <br><br>If I would do particular weight training for rowing, it would be something like that. Many reps with an emphasis on correct technique and full control of the movement and a surprise element. Then finish it up with a good relaxing stretch.